Goodbye Jesus

Poll: Would You Support Chick-Fil-A?

Lilith666

Doesn't matter if it's effective or not. My money would still be supporting something cruel and evil. The KKK isn't too effective either, but I still wouldn't support a shop with a big conical hat in its window. I'm glad the money's getting thrown out the window, but it won't be my money being thus wasted.

Do they have Chick Fil As in ID now? I've never been to one. I saw one in a mall in VA once, but didn't try it.

As for me, I'm pretty pragmatic. If they aren't being effective, it wouldn't bother me. A lot of business owners probably hold positions I find intolerable. If money I spend with them isn't actually hurting anyone in a tangible way, I'm not going to worry about it. That in mind, one of the reasons -- one of many -- I'm an expat and won't return on a permanent basis is the fact that I don't want to contribute tax payer dollars toward the US military industrial complex, so I do understand your sentiment.

There's a mini one in downtown Boise at the uni, and a full size one getting built in a suburb now. We're gettin' all civilized and shit over here. I hear Boise's getting a Whole Foods "some time real soon now" [tm].

There's a mini one in downtown Boise at the uni, and a full size one getting built in a suburb now. We're gettin' all civilized and shit over here. I hear Boise's getting a Whole Foods "some time real soon now" [tm].

smile.png

It's already got a whole foods, so it doesn't need Whole Foods. Two actually. It has the Coop in North Boise and a grocery store on Hill Road at the bottom of Bogus. I forget the name, but it has all kinds of farmer's market type food. Fucking big box retailers anyway.

You'll have to forgive me. I'm a Boise native and am feeling a bit protective.

It has a couple of organic grocery stores--one opened in Nampa, IIRC--but nothing with the actual name "Whole Foods." You can be protective all you want, but I rather suspect the Coop would be pissed at being labeled a "whole foods." ;)

(I have a gold ID card too, so relax. I love the Coop.)

Well, the food is whole and wholesome, is it not?

Yes, but it's not the massive conglomerate that is Whole Foods [tm] ;) I love the Co-Op. I used to take the trek to town every few weeks just to shop there when I had money. It's still the only place to get frisee lettuce and saba that I know of in this entire part of the state. And I don't need to worry about them using my money to further anti-woman, anti-GLBTQ agendas, I don't reckon.

Speaking of whole foods: I've got honey-oat bread in the oven; I've got porcinis post-soaked and chopped on my counter with a big bowl of fresh portabellas; I've got barley simmering in broth and thyme; I've got onions slowly frizzling to nothing in a pot; I've got a big package of fresh herbs on my counter. I've got a bowl of chopped celery and sage in a bowl ready to dump into what is going to become mushroom-barley soup. I could not be happier right now. FUCK Campbell's and their gloopy, gloppy canned shit.

Yes, but it's not the massive conglomerate that is Whole Foods [tm] wink.png I love the Co-Op.

For a wordsmith, you sure have missed the nuance of my own wordsmithing in the post that kicked all this off. :lmao:

It's probably my fault. :)

Speaking of whole foods: I've got honey-oat bread in the oven; I've got porcinis post-soaked and chopped on my counter with a big bowl of fresh portabellas; I've got barley simmering in broth and thyme; I've got onions slowly frizzling to nothing in a pot; I've got a big package of fresh herbs on my counter. I've got a bowl of chopped celery and sage in a bowl ready to dump into what is going to become mushroom-barley soup. I could not be happier right now.

Sounds awesome. I'm in Latvia at the moment and have been trying to figure out how they make the borsch at this local restaurant I've been eating at. I typically don't like Russian borsch, but the stuff here is so hearty and delicious I'd love to figure out how to make it.

I've never had borscht. Hell, I've never even had beets that I liked. Crazy, huh? But the soup and bread came out DIVOON. We ate ourselves sick over here.

And yes, I got it, just wasn't sure you did! ;)

Just saw this, in related news: to nobody's surprise, Amway and Wal-Mart apparently give money to bigotry as well.

I've never had borscht. Hell, I've never even had beets that I liked. Crazy, huh? But the soup and bread came out DIVOON. We ate ourselves sick over here.

If you don't like beets...

If you ever get a chance to try it, the Russian soup that is best IMO is solyanka (I think it means salty soup). I've never had anything comparable anywhere else in the world. Really awesome, comfort-type soup. If you're feeling brave, you might try and make your own. smile.png

Did anyone else outside their market area not know how to pronounce Chick-Fil-A until this whole blowup?

I'd been reading it as "Chick-Filla." Thought it was ghetto.

• Like 2

How funny, Flockoff! I grew up in the South so I never even thought of any other way to say it.

Vigile - fascinating. I'm a very brave girl so I will add this to the list of things I want to try.

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone else outside their market area not know how to pronounce Chick-Fil-A until this whole blowup?

I'd been reading it as "Chick-Filla." Thought it was ghetto.

The first time i saw one... maybe 5 years ago it took me a while to figure out the name.