Goodbye Jesus

Paid Ex-Christian Research Interviews

James Smith

Course if the OP would care to follow the thread "he" started then many of these questions could be answered.

• Like 3

Course if the OP would care to follow the thread "he" started then many of these questions could be answered.

Exactly.

Exactly.

So this means Im not getting the $10 I was promised? vtffani.gif .

• Like 1

Maybe he dosent have much money to work with?

Perhaps...because he's a fraud???

If he has no financial backing or ideological support for his idea, none of us should be jumping in. We have no clue who this guy is or what he really wants or what kinds of groups support him and his "work".

• Like 1

If he has no financial backing or ideological support for his idea, none of us should be jumping in. We have no clue who this guy is or what he really wants or what kinds of groups support him and his "work".

JUST HAF FAYEETH SISTA POS

For ten bucks, I wouldn't tell you what I ate for breakfast.

Piss off, fraud.

**dingdingding**

Yeah, I bet "James Smith" isn't even his real name. It's probably John.

Guest Xtech

For ten bucks, I wouldn't tell you what I ate for breakfast.

Piss off, fraud.

**dingdingding**

Nope. Joseph.

Nope. Joseph.

...and he's still hunting for those goddamn gold tablets! Sheesh.

Just trying to be positive here.

well Based on the message on the homepage of the forum it apparently seems legitimate.

I guess he did follow this thread and realized we weren't buying it. Which really should surprise anyone.

Perhaps it could be useful and or interesting.

well Based on the message on the homepage of the forum it apparently seems legitimate.

I guess he did follow this thread and realized we weren't buying it. Which really should surprise anyone.

Yep. I guess he convinced webmdave that he is legit.

yeah, I saw that in red letters too over at the top of the forums page. And once more, so what? I don't think this is the kind of thing one should offer up for sale. It's too painful, agonizing, and personal. It should be shared over here as we do with each other but I don't think it's appropriate for selling.

• Like 1

You could say that. But even so, I think the guy should come and answer our questions here. And maybe apologise for not doing so sooner. And I'd like to know what's up with the $10 deal. I'd rather tell my story willingly, free of charge, than be insulted with an offer of ten bucks.

On the subject of the ten bucks, in which currency will it be? At what exchange rate? GBP10 is a different amount to USD10 is a different amount to HKD10 is a different amount to AUD10 is a different amount to NZD10 is a different amount to YEN10 is a different amount to CAD10 is a different amount to EUR10...

A book on a profile of pains for 10 bucks a submittal. TRY AGAIN!

Well, my sticking point.. if he's writing a book, he should be able to write a better, more inspiring reason for us to offer up our stories. A writer who can't write a good post to get people to share with him doesn't sound like a good writer. A good writer would know he needs to appeal to use in some way... such as "your stories would be used to help people in the same situation"... *shrugs*. this post just sounds the BS alarms we have.

• Like 1

Well, my sticking point.. if he's writing a book, he should be able to write a better, more inspiring reason for us to offer up our stories. A writer who can't write a good post to get people to share with him doesn't sound like a good writer. A good writer would know he needs to appeal to use in some way... such as "your stories would be used to help people in the same situation"... *shrugs*. this post just sounds the BS alarms we have.

I agree. And trying to circumvent answering our questions by getting whoever to put that banner in red writing up just kind of makes me lose even more interest.

Guest Babylonian Dream

He apparently only wants to do it if we give him our paypal accounts to deposit the money. See, I find that fishy in of itself. Why not just meet people in person, and interview them, then pay them. Perhaps write a check or pay in cash. Why is it necessary to do that with $10? Why no answer when people offer to do it for you for free? That's fishy. Apparently, there's probably no book. Just a scheme. Get peoples numbers and PINs and take their money. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I smell fraud.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah this whole thing smells to me.

You can send money over paypal knowing only the recipient's email address. If he asks for more than that then it's a scam.

You can send money over paypal knowing only the recipient's email address. If he asks for more than that then it's a scam.

yes. you get a confirmation screen to confirm you have the right person.

Has anyone sent an email or called this guy? If so please post back. Not that I want to be interviewed but just being curious of whether or not this is legit.

I just sent an email expressing the skepticism and asking some questions.

I'll post my email and his response when and if I get it.

Hi all,

James Smith here author of the book. First let me apologize for not being clearer about my goals with this – I can understand why there are these concerns. Apologies also for not responding to responses to the original post sooner – I should have checked for responses sooner.

I’m a young British writer who is an ex-evangelical and is currently writing a book on exChristians and their experiences. I hope that the book will be released in 2014. I am a sociologist, an activist in the international atheist movement, and have written newspaper articles on Christianity. I have not written a book before, but believe I have a solid enough background with research/activism to do this. The reason that this project has been conducted under a pseudonym is because I don’t wish (for the moment) for certain friends and family members to know about it. I think that many people on this site will understand this secrecy issue. I will be happy to reveal more about my real identity and the work that I have done/and am doing to anyone who emails me.

Regarding the $10 issue, I only offered this because I wanted more volunteers. I am not rich, and just wanted to try and offer something to attract people. Many other studies offer volunteers a similar sum of money for participation. As for the inference that I wanted people’s paypals details for ulterior motives, I can assure you that the only information I have received from people is their Paypal email address. I have merely used this information to make the $10 payment and (as someone else pointed out) in any case could not do anything fraudulent with this information even if I wanted to. Many of the study’s participants in the event refused the money, and I will shortly make a donation to ex-Christian.net on their behalf.

Once again, very sorry for not responding to these concerns. I hope that I have now convinced you that this is legitimate and that this matter is cleared up to everyone’s satisfaction.

James

Well then this begs the question - why did it take you over a month to respond after your initial posting?

I didn't check this thread, as I just thought people would write to the email address given. I was just alerted to this thread by stryper's email. Again very sorry about that, and the lack of initial explanation.

Hi James,

Thanks for the explanations. Just to further your credibility here, would you be willing to post links to the articles on Christianity you have written? I'm sure we can all promise not to reveal your real name on here from those articles, if those articles contain your real name.

By the way, I guess this is what should be expected in a forum full of skeptics! :D LOL

Thanks!

Jeremy

• Like 1