Goodbye Jesus

Paid Ex-Christian Research Interviews

James Smith

Thank you for the response James.

I would like to further the discussion.

Is this meant to be part of a research project, or something unrelated?

When you say you are active in the international atheist movement, please elaborate as much as you feel comfortable.

Jeremy - if you email me I'm happy to share with you my name, all the articles I've written and will even send you some sample chapters from my book. I just hope that you respect the fact that, like lots of people on Ex-C net, I'm a little nervous about divulging my identity online. Hope you understand but, like I said, I'm happy to share with anyone who emails me.

Stryper - This research is going to be part of a book on ex-Christians and their experiences that I'm writing. The quality of the data one obtains if one conducts research interviews is far richer than merely reading the accounts that are posted online - that's why I'm conducting interviews. The book is a bit different from normal atheist books in that rather than examining Christianity's truth claims it looks at the psychological effects of Christianity. With regards to my activism, I participate as a writer (I've written aricles for national British newspapers), a speaker (I've spoken at atheist conferences) and soon (I hope) with my book. Like I said, happy to send you full details if you email.

I saw this thread today. I'm sure that there have been past experiences with some frauds from time to time. But, just to say something on James' behalf. I conducted an interview with him. Previous to the interview, he sent me his credentials and articles he had written. A few days before the interview, he sent a list of questions he wanted to cover. I will say that before looking into his credentials, my initial fear was that he was writing a pro Christian book, and that my experiences would be used to argue that people are better off with religion than without it. I felt comfortable enough to go through with the interview. After the interview, I sent him my paypal email address. About a day later $10 US dollars was deposited into my account. So, for what it's worth, everything James has stated is true.

• Like 1

Thanks for letting people know this. I hope that this issue is now resolved to everyone's satisfaction. Sorry once again for not being clearer, and please email me if you have any more questions.

I second what illusion has said. I also spoke with James (opted out of the $ because I am too lazy to set up a paypal account). He was very forthcoming about his intentions and shared articles he has written as well as some chapters from the book he is writing. I'll vouch for his credentials and professionalism. It was a pleasure to speak with him.

• Like 1

Ditto. He's cool (if he is really who he says he is :P).

So what's the deal with this book? I mean what's the angle? Is it a book that is truly just chronicling the struggles of those who choose to leave Christianity, or is it some sort of recon mission to help evangelists find ways to manipulate around our objections?

Never mind. I didn't seem James' post above mine until now.

I should also say that I've now finished conducting interviews so I no longer need people to get in touch with me. A massive thanks to everyone who wrote to me, and to those who did interviews. Many people also refused payment and the money these people received will be donated to ExChristian.net.

Sorry, should be 'the money these people would have received' above.

that is good, I am glad that the money was donated to the site here

Me too! I participated and thought the interview was really interesting. I hope this guy becomes a Horseman one day. But then hell, *I* want to be a Horseman.

• Like 1

Me too! I participated and thought the interview was really interesting. I hope this guy becomes a Horseman one day. But then hell, *I* want to be a Horseman.

You're a pegasus rider... close enough.

That's true. Pegasus > horse.