Goodbye Jesus

Hmm... a possible verse...

godlessgrrl

Hmm. While poking around looking at the paradox of evil existing in a universe created by a supposedly all-good deity (and other evil-related issues), I found this verse:

Jeremiah 42:6

Whether it be good, or whether it be evil, we will obey the voice of the LORD our God, to whom we send thee; that it may be well with us, when we obey the voice of the LORD our God.

Hmm. Could this be biblical justification for doing whatever the hell you want in the name of god?

I've read a lot of posts by Xians about the morality of their god, about how he's above human morality. I wonder if this sums it up somehow.

Hmm. :scratch:

Damn! ('scuse my swedish) I don't remember that verse!

It implicates God to give evil directives to his followers!

Because it says rephrased: I will obey God, even if he gives me good or evil commands.

Damn! ('scuse my swedish) I don't remember that verse!

It implicates God to give evil directives to his followers!

Because it says rephrased: I will obey God, even if he gives me good or evil commands.

Yeah. It looks to me like a verse that can be used to justify mindless following of god, regardless of the morality of the command given.

I wonder how many Xians are familiar with this verse.

Hmm. While poking around looking at the paradox of evil existing in a universe created by a supposedly all-good deity (and other evil-related issues), I found this verse:

Whether it be good, or whether it be evil, we will obey the voice of the LORD our God, to whom we send thee; that it may be well with us, when we obey the voice of the LORD our God.

Hmm. Could this be biblical justification for doing whatever the hell you want in the name of god?

I've read a lot of posts by Xians about the morality of their god, about how he's above human morality. I wonder if this sums it up somehow.

Hmm. :scratch:

I can understand how that verse can be used to commit all sorts of atrocities, but I would like to think it means that whether it be good or evil that confronts us, we accept what is presenting itself in that specific moment in time. That doesn't mean to not do anything about it, but just to recognize that we are able to get through it when we know that 'god' is always inside us. Not a literal voice, but a knowing of our inner self, which is nothing more than creation itself.

It just makes sense to me to read passages in an allegorical way. I may not be right, but it is a uniting factor amongst religions that brings peace to my mind.

Mine says 'favourable.' Which implies that they were willing to martyr themselves for God. Not exactly respectable in and of itself(what's the honour in suicide?) but I thought I'd toss it out there.

:shrug:

Merlin

I can understand how that verse can be used to commit all sorts of atrocities, but I would like to think it means that whether it be good or evil that confronts us, we accept what is presenting itself in that specific moment in time. That doesn't mean to not do anything about it, but just to recognize that we are able to get through it when we know that 'god' is always inside us. Not a literal voice, but a knowing of our inner self, which is nothing more than creation itself.

I'm not sure that's the proper way of analyze that text, since "good or evil" is related to "the voice of God", and not to "the things that happens to us." To me that sentece clearly say if God gives a good or evil instruction Jeremiah would obey.

I'm not sure that's the proper way of analyze that text, since "good or evil" is related to "the voice of God", and not to "the things that happens to us." To me that sentece clearly say if God gives a good or evil instruction Jeremiah would obey.

Hey, don't pop my bubble! :grin:

That's because I followed the "evil voice of God"... :HaHa:

This interpretation may go along with me:

Whether we like it or not, we will obey the LORD our God to whom we send you with our plea. For if we obey him, everything will turn out well for us.

New Living Translation © 1996 Tyndale Charitable Trust

I think all stories in the bible are representations of the inner journey that people take. There is no supernatural force involved and these are just ways to get people to see what they can be. When these stories were taken as literal fact, one must be able to believe in things that cannot possibly exist. When it's taken as a story to enrich one's life, it becomes meaningful. I am still learning, so I could be totally wrong.

Oh, I also wanted to say that I think all the stories are related to what happens to us even if they seem to be speaking as other people. People in the bible just represent different aspects of ourselves.

I would say so. But then, there are lots of other verses in the Bible that can also be twisted to mean whatever you want them to. I can't think of any others that are so blatant, though.