Goodbye Jesus

Why We Need The Space Program

roadrunner

I was about to post this in the topic that deals with the curiosity touch down but i didnt want this question to get lost.

I was asked by a person "Outside of peaking our curiosity, what benefit does digging on mars provide us?" I brought up asteriods and impacts and he agreed that was useful but outside of that it was pointless. I started wondering if they were religious and feel that we were formed from dirt here on earth and anything we ever find anywhere would be mundane.

I was always entrigued by space exploration but only after I stop believing in god did i see this as a necessity since we are on our own. (See Pale Blue Dot video). Do we have a plan B? Who protects us from asteriods? where will we go when we exhaust our natural resources? I guess I am so concerned with the long term survival of our species that I can't see how people could be opposed to the space program. I agree that money should be leveraged to feed people give healthcare and keep us safe but to assert that NASA is useless is insane to me but I understand that argument.

I've seen teh Neil degrasse tyson video on youtube called "we stopped dreaming" so I'll send that, So why do you guys think we NEED the space program?

We need it to expand our territory.

We need it to have ingenuity, no one wants to be a scientist anymore if there is nothing to apply the science too, these people who think this is such a big waste dont understand the long term benefits of scientific exploration.