Goodbye Jesus

Christian music

saxyroze

I like Iced Earth, and they border on being a Christian metal band. But the rhythm guitar playing is just smokin'. Their newest stuff isn't their best, I think Jon Schaffer's going deaf, because the guitar is way beyond the usual ridiculously shrill scooped-mids, and I like ridiculously shrill scooped-mid guitar, plus since Matt Barlow left, (due to Sept 11th, he wanted to become a cop, or some stupid shit) it just ain't the same. "Something Widked This Way Comes," "Days of Purgatory," and "Dark Saga" are cool. "Alive in Athens" is pretty damn cool too.

Hahaha, I really wouldn't call Iced Earth Christian. Schaffer tends to be on the right side of the political spectrum, but really, I don't see much in the way of pro-Jesus stuff in their discography. Maybe "Melancholy" but hell, a story like that DOES make for a good song. In fact, what with songs like their "Something Wicked" trilogy and ESPECIALLY "Disciples of the Lie" I'd say they're far from Christian. I'd cite "Damien" too (some of the lyrics from that song are in my signature) but what with that being based on a movie, it really doesn't have much to do with Schaffer's own PERSONAL views (even though I don't think many serious right-wing Christians would write a song about that movie, or even WATCH it).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LloydDobler

• asdf99

• Kuroikaze

• Vigile

I've still got Jars of Clay and Acapella CDs in my collection, but haven't listened to them in years. Not many people in the ICOC (the last church I was a member of) listened to contemporary Christian music--rock & roll wasn't one of their "issues," so I think most people didn't bother with CCM. The ones I knew who did (including myself) were more individually interested in the vocal stylings of the CCM artists.

In my teen and early adult years as a BJF (Bob Jones Fundie) CCM was considered worldly and therefore off-limits.

Further back, as a Catholic child, the most I was ever exposed to was The Singing Nuns at home courtesy of my mom, and Kumbaya and a few others on the guitar in church... but LOL, my dad quickly moved us over to a church that was more conservative.

Being an ex-music minister, I have a large collection of christian music, some of which I've thrown away, such as Petra Praise albums and so on. After all, I was lead singer in a group of guys that I'll forever miss, despite the genre. They died 10 years ago, but I still listen to our music. It goes the same with many of cd's I have . .. I guess I just drown out most of the more "invasive" lyrics and appreciate the musical side of the artists. PFR, Steven Curtis Chapman, Phil Keaggy, White Heart, Geoff Moore, etc. were/are amongst my favorites. Some of the metal groups I heard mentioned here I've not heard of, although REZ and the 77's are remembered well.

On the secular side, during my short re-dedication in my late teens, I'd thrown away many of cd's such as Rush, Metallica, so on, but I've been spending time building my "secular" collection back up. I won't be caught throwing away anything like that again.

I guess you have to look at it this way: If you really like the music of a christian artist, drown out the lyrics. It's not really that different to listening to lyrics of other artists that talk of viking folklore, mystic stories, etc. Just a thought.

OT

Guest DrepmoreH

christian music to me has always seemed really spiritless and disheartening. it really zaps my energy. i do think it is god awful. no pun intended.

And I too have a couple Stryper albums on vinyl, as well as Barren Cross, Saint, Bloodgood, and Whitecross. Yes I was into christian glam metal in the 80's.

Oh Shit. We must be the same age. :lmao: I had every one of those. What about Daniel Band?

Yes. Had Run From the Darkness on tape. How bout X-sinner? DA? Rez band? I had 4-5 of their albums on tape. I have 2 on CD still. I forgot to mention Altar boys but I have 2 of their albums on vinyl as well as 4 Petra albums. Although they turned to shit when Greg Volz left.

And the 77's is still my favorite band, and they're still putting out music, and it's still really good.

I've commented a couple of times that one of the reasons I love this site is because it's the only place I can talk to non christians about christian rock, and the people here get it.

Oh Man!!!! You guys are sturring up some great memories. I used to go to all those concerts and play it on guitar. I've met REZ, or Resserection Band to us really old guys, 77's, Undercover, Alterboys, and a bunch of others. I will give Xian musicians one thing- They were not to proud to mengle with the fans!!! And I respected that.

Anyone remenber Phil Keagy? No one can say there is no talent in Christian misic. He was and is still the man!!! Yea, I still listen to the 80's Xian "hair" bands. BTW, Stryper has a new CD, saw it last night at the Camp Liberty PX. Don't know if I will buy it yet. Keep on Rocking!!!!!

Oh yea, can't forget Newsboys. My wife just absolutely loves them, and I have to say that they are very talented. I guess I will just have to put up with the lyrics.

They mingled with the fans to increase their market base. At least that is my theory, given how gung-ho Christians go to create their own subculture.

Even when I was a Christian, I totally disliked the sound of "Christian pop/rock". No, wait, I detested, hated, and abhorred it.

Reasons:

1. It all sounds alike. I don't care how heavy metal it claims to be, it all sounds alike. Period.

2. My grandmother listened to it. Even the rock music.

3. It's just not good. I guess it's just a curse or something that Christian rock bands will not produce good, unique, standout music. It's mediocre at best.

4. Images of crowds of people in near-orgasm, waving hands slowly in the air and barely breathing out sing-along lyrics with eyes closed in ecstasy, just severely freaks me out. Sorry. Yes, even when I was a Christian.

Guest DrepmoreH

Even when I was a Christian, I totally disliked the sound of "Christian pop/rock". No, wait, I detested, hated, and abhorred it.

Reasons:

1. It all sounds alike. I don't care how heavy metal it claims to be, it all sounds alike. Period.

2. My grandmother listened to it. Even the rock music.

3. It's just not good. I guess it's just a curse or something that Christian rock bands will not produce good, unique, standout music. It's mediocre at best.

4. Images of crowds of people in near-orgasm, waving hands slowly in the air and barely breathing out sing-along lyrics with eyes closed in ecstasy, just severely freaks me out. Sorry. Yes, even when I was a Christian.

You've nailed it!

I was just reading online today that, a year ago, Stryper was to have played a concert in Mexico City with Saviour Machine, Mortification, and Narnia; they demanded, and got, advance payment of $56,500 from promoters who were amateurs and dead poor, giving up necessities to pull the event off, but then Stryper backed out and never sent back any of the cash. Word didn't get out until concert time and half the people who showed up got refunds and left. I went to Stryper's web page and there was a link to their statement about the whole thing but it leads to a blank page. The other three bands ahd approached them and there was dialog at one time, but Stryper is now just blowing them off, and after offering to hold a benefit concert they are silent about all of it. What a bunch of creeps. Christians really are no different, are they? I mean, yeah Saviour Machine and the others were true to their word but I think it says something about them as individuals, not about their religion or 'god.'

Kyle

btw - could it be Stryper ran because they knew all three of the other bands would kick their wussy little asses?

I have to admit I do listen to xtian songs every now and then, but its the tune of the music and the voice of the singer (which are usually very good) thta draw me to the song. i do try and block out the lyrics (just takes practice).

its at its worst during X-mas season.

• 4 months later...
Guest georgemacdonald

One band I still like to listen to is Vigilantes of Love -- but they were always a good band that happened to be Christian.

But here's the funny thing -- I still like to listen to Jimmy Swaggart play and sing, though its been years since I left his way of thinking behind. His music is a real nice southern gospel - nice piano, good harmonies, etc.

Don't tell! -lol-

I used to listen to alot, actually my favorite was a unknown christian indie band called Waterdeep. I heard the broke up a while back, but they were probably the most creative xtian band I've ever heard. They had a lot of folk and blues influences. Thier lyrics were REALLY heavely christian at times though so I coudn't really listen to them without getting pissed off once I deconverted.

As a Christian, I probably drove everyone around me nuts with Petra. I was a virtual fanatic. I owned every CD from the very first all the way through the one after Unseen Power (dont remember the name). Now I don't listen to them at all anymore. Don't even know where the CDs are.

I also listened to old DC Talk, Steven Curtis Chapman, and yes, I hate to say it - Carman.

As for Christian music now, I think its going through some changes. Early on, it was just lame Jesus music. Then in the 80s and 90s, every band was just a cheap imitation of it's secular counterpart. Now I think that mainstream Christian music is finding it's own way, with it's own types of pop and "power worship" sounds. I'm subjected to it daily because my wife keeps her stereo tuned to the local Christian station.

There is one current band whose music I really love - Casting Crowns. Great stuff really. I don't even hear the words when I listen - the music is just really good.

....then I get in my own car and pop in Rob Zombie or Linkin Park, lol.

I remember when an xian radio station in southern California began playing CCM music rather than having preachers and oldie (before my time) gospel groups on all of the time. It caused quite a stir. It's where I first heard Michael Omartian. I liked him and, later on, DCTalk (including their early rap-crap, which is the only rap I could stand), Petra, Amy Grant, Keith Green, Michael W. Smith, Steve Camp, etc. I loved it though now I can't stand it because a lot of it sounds so cheesy, too many syrupy synthesizer sounds from the 1980s still being used today for my taste. Don't get me wrong, I like 80s music in general but sometimes the synth thing is too much.

Steve Camp got on my nerves as he copied whatever the popular style was, although the style was long past by the time his latest album would come out one to two years later. I saw him in person and thought he was very talented. I didn't like it when I heard him say on an xian music TV program that it was too bad Amy Grant was married (at that time to Gary Chapman) because he thought she was cute and he wished her husband wasn't around. That annoyed me.

I used to listen to alot, actually my favorite was a unknown christian indie band called Waterdeep. I heard the broke up a while back, but they were probably the most creative xtian band I've ever heard. They had a lot of folk and blues influences. Thier lyrics were REALLY heavely christian at times though so I coudn't really listen to them without getting pissed off once I deconverted.

I was just going to post the same thing.

I was a HUGE Waterdeep fan. My church used to sponsor them come down and play here.

Really good band.

Listening to them now would totally kick in the old brainwashing I bet, so I'm not going to listen to them, but they were good.

They are all really nice people, too. The kind of Christians I don't mind.

I remember listening to "When the cold wind blows all around" once while I was deconverting, and having a moment of clarity where I realised she was singing to herself.

That was eerie.

Man, it's weird to think back on those songs from the other side.

ETA:

I listened to this CD just about every day for a year.

http://www.waterdeep.com/albums/enter

I don't know if this has been posted before but does anyone still listen to some Christian music? I’ve always hated Christian music merely because I have always viewed it as empty, boring music that tries to copy secular trends….but I still have a soft spot for Rebecca St. James’ music. I love listening to her old and new stuff even though I don’t agree with everything she has to say.

I think part of it is because I respect her. She's like...close to her 30's and still a virgin and is quite vocal about it, without shame. Christians like her, in my opinion, give Christians a good name and I respect those kinds of people.

I still love listening to Christian Music. I originally liked the songs because of the tunes and words. Although the words don't hold the same meaning for me now, I can appreciate the emotions behind the song. It's just like any other *love song* I suppose. My wife was surprised when she found me singing along to some worship music recently, but I did not want to appear childish and stop listening to these songs just because I have stopped believing. Some of the music is beautiful, and still brings a tear to my eye.

Kevin:

I was a HUGE Waterdeep fan. My church used to sponsor them come down and play here.

Really good band.

Listening to them now would totally kick in the old brainwashing I bet, so I'm not going to listen to them, but they were good.

I remember listening to "When the cold wind blows all around" once while I was deconverting, and having a moment of clarity where I realised she was singing to herself.

That was eerie.

ETA:

lol, yeah I listened to that CD ALL the time. I played the guitar for worship band in campus ministry so we played those for campus meetings all the time as well.

On a slightly different note, have you ever heard of a band called "Bright Eyes"? Stylisticly they are a bit like waterdeep, very influenced by folk and blues, but unlike waterdeep are very liberal and anti-christian. I had actually been down about not being able to listen to waterdeep after deconverting, but about a year or so after my deconversion I found some of Bright Eyes' stuff and it made me very happy :grin:

Really good band.

That was eerie.

ETA:

lol, yeah I listened to that CD ALL the time. I played the guitar for worship band in campus ministry so we played those for campus meetings all the time as well.

On a slightly different note, have you ever heard of a band called "Bright Eyes"? Stylisticly they are a bit like waterdeep, very influenced by folk and blues, but unlike waterdeep are very liberal and anti-christian. I had actually been down about not being able to listen to waterdeep after deconverting, but about a year or so after my deconversion I found some of Bright Eyes' stuff and it made me very happy :grin:

I'll definitely check out Bright Eyes. :)

Man, does just talking about Waterdeep make you feel all emotional? Specifically, Enter the Worship Circle?

That whole mentality was just the essence of my being for so long.

I can't hardly even think about it without wishing I could both reconvert and remain intellectually honest at the same time. (And of course, ner' the two shall meet).

I just wish that god was real. I really wish it was true.

It really is sad that it's just a lie we tell ourselves.

Yeah, I really missed Waterdeep for a while when I deconverted...as well as music in general. Playing worship music was a really big thing for me, and I pretty much stopped playing guitar after that. Oh, well I found other hobbies eventually, but yeah, for the longest time I really wished I could go back, while knowing it was imposible. I don't do so very often any more though