Goodbye Jesus

Tattoos!

TrailBlazer

I always wanted one, nothing extravagant, just to say I got one. Most of my friends have ink that says "faith" or "grace", or some other christian affiliation. I was always apprehensive about doing that- what if by some freakish chance you weren't a xian for life? I wanted something that I wouldn't mind having on my skin for life.

So I chose to get a recovery symbol tattoo, because I want my recovery to be for life and it reminds me of the reasons I want to stay healthy.

post-18300-0-68130600-1344525129_thumb.jpg

Anyone else got ink? Do you love it or regret it?

(**edit: ADD moment- forgot to finish a sentence)

• Super Moderator

tattoo.jpg

Seven out of nine of us on vacation in Key West got tattoos form Mike and PJ at Key West Tattoo Company over the course of two days. It was a party! Mikey came up with my alien skull from a design I found online. Everyone said it was "me."

One plus is there is a Bible verse that prohibits tattoos, though to be fair, in context it's about pagan religions rather than skin art per se.

Another plus is that I'm so old I won't tire of it before I die, and it's not going to sag any more than it already is!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Key-West-Tattoo-Company/214738481430

I want one but can't think of anything to get. Certainly something that symbolizes my hunger for truth but I haven't really thought on it much.

I got two xian tattoos about a year before I deconverted. In hindsight, they were one of my dramatic attempts to resolve the cognitive dissonance. I was "going all in". Oh well.

The are both rather large, about 6"x1", on the insides of my forearms. I got them there as conversation starters. I used to talk about Jesus, now I say "They are something I used to believe", which starts an entirely different discussion.

This one (in Greek) is the last words of Jeebus (depending on which gospel you read)..."It is finished":

1.jpg

This one (in Aramaic) is from the lard's prayer..."Your kingdom is come, your will is done, as in heaven, so on earth":

2.jpg

I bet those are great conversation pieces now. You could definitely put something like a tattoo that appears as a stamp over them with the word "Fairy Tales" or "Myth" :)

Since no one reads Aramaic and few read Greek, I can tell people whatever I want them to mean ;)

Yes - I got one this summer! Probably my one and only, but you never know.

I don't have a tattoo, but I'd like one to symbolize my freedom from X. Maybe something like 11-22-09, the day I quit.

@florduh: Does your tattoo mean anything in particular, or is it just for fun?

• Super Moderator

@florduh: Does your tattoo mean anything in particular, or is it just for fun?

Fun. I'm not sure what an alien skull could mean!

I had to come up with something while others were getting the tattoos they wanted. I know many people get skull tattoos, and many get aliens. Nobody gets an alien skull! I thought the final drawing looked kind of cool. It does get comments.

Thinks about getting something done in Lord of the Rings tengwar cursive font like "Nothing is true. Everything is permitted."

I've been thinking about getting a tattoo, on and off, for years already. If I actually decide to get one, it might be one of many things. An Asatru-related symbol (not a Mjolnir though, I guess, too obvious and could be misunderstood too easily over here), a scorpion because I love those beasts, the Yellow Sign of Carcosa... so many options :)

I have a Chinese word that is small. I had it done way before everyone was writing Chinese & Japanese on their bodies. It's all black (or was) and over time it becomes blue (decades).

I chose a place that would not stretch or sag over time. Wrists, ankles, anyplace that is closer to the bone will hurt more than if you had it on your thigh or chest.

Tattoos can be really cool (nice one florduh), but they can be really stupid as well. The ones across people's abdomens are just dumb. It looks like a bad billboard. The other one I hate is the two stars, one by each shoulder on the chest. WTF is that?

Over used places are the calf for men and the small of the back for women.

Wow, Florduh and GG, I love your tats! Almost makes me want another one, haha. And so sorry JB, but that does sound like a good convo starter at least. The one that says "it is finished" could mean so much more to you now that you're out of xianity... just a thought!

• Like 1

Have none myself, but if you want to see tats, it's hard to beat Thailand. Here's a few of my British hooligan friends in Thailand. The guy with the penis nose is known by the name Alien. Crazy sucker; it took me two weeks before I could understand his Cockney. Also, if you look at the floor in the other pic, you can see the bar was flooded. This was from one of the famous Thai floods they experienced last year.

Image0215.jpg

Image0202.jpg

Oh the irony!

tattoo-six-pac.jpg?w=450&h=337

Seven out of nine of us on vacation in Key West got tattoos from Mike and PJ at Key West Tattoo Company over the course of two days. It was a party! Mikey came up with my alien skull from a design I found online. Everyone said it was "me."

I never really wanted a tattoo but when the Key West tattoo party started, I wanted to join the fun! So, I got a small exclamation mark tattooed on my ankle. It suits me!!!

IMG_0235.JPG

It has been awhile since I have gotten a tattoo (I have 6, in order, partial armband on the upper right arm, a butterfly on the upper left arm, a sun on the outside lower right leg, and the only one I regret, a cross on the inside of lower left leg, another sun above the armband, and the outline of a star on the outside of my lower left leg). Maybe, someday when I fully embrace both my ex-C, and my atheism, I will get something to remind me of that. What TB did should remind her everyday of her recovery from xtianity.

I plan on getting one, but I'm waiting until I achieve a certain milestone to get one. Thinking of it as a reward to motivate myself. And it gives me time to decide on the design.

I think I'll get little lines on my dong so I can use it as a ruler. That would be a great conversation starter.

Maybe, someday when I fully embrace both my ex-C, and my atheism, I will get something to remind me of that. What TB did should remind her everyday of her recovery from xtianity.

Actually it's recovery from anorexia... but an xian recovery tat would be pretty cool too! atheisttattoo.jpg

How about this one? haha!

This one (in Greek) is the last words of Jeebus (depending on which gospel you read)..."It is finished":

1.jpg

So is your faith. Finished. I reckon this tattoo is beautifully ironic.

This was designed by myself and my tattooist. It is on my right forearm, and goes halfway up it. It has no particular meaning; I just like it :)

DSC00201.jpg

Maybe, someday when I fully embrace both my ex-C, and my atheism, I will get something to remind me of that. What TB did should remind her everyday of her recovery from xtianity.

Actually it's recovery from anorexia... but an xian recovery tat would be pretty cool too! atheisttattoo.jpg

How about this one? haha!

TB, sorry I misinterpreted what you said in message one. Anyway, hope the recovery from anorexia goes well.

Anyway, that looks like a nice atheist tat.

I'll never have tattoos for a variety of reasons. But I feel the need to share with ya'll the new tattoo that a friend of a friend just posted on facebook. I'm pretty sure he thinks he's a Cryp.

barneysfriend.jpg

And he's pulling it off well at least on Facebook. Looks kinda intimidating... unless you're aware of the fact that he's about 5'4" and weighs about 140. He's like a miniature thug. :grin: