Goodbye Jesus

Your Profile Name And Photo

Denyoz

My current avatar is Ignatius Reilly, the protagonist in the book Confederacy of Dunces, one of the funniest books I've ever read.

I just bought that book recently - haven't started it yet though. Sounds good!

Dory, the fish from Finding Nemo. I'm a ditzy person/clumsy by nature, so it fits perfectly really smile.png No pic yet, will get one up there at some point.

I LOVE Dory!!! wink.pngbiggrin.png

Finding-Nemo-Dory1.jpg

dory3.jpg

I chose this name to represent what I desired - peace of mind - after putting my days as a Pentecostal fundamentalist behind me. The picture you see to the left is me, about 7-8 years ago. Not much as changed since then.

• Like 3

Sherlock is Sherlock Holmes, my favorite fictional character. When I got hold of Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes and other Stories" (one of my husband's many collections), I couldn't let it down without finishing a story, especially the novels.

My avatar? I'm still working on it...

Did S.H. believe in god?

• Like 2

My current avatar is Ignatius Reilly, the protagonist in the book Confederacy of Dunces, one of the funniest books I've ever read.

I just bought that book recently - haven't started it yet though. Sounds good!

You'll piss yourself. Guaranteed.

I used to sell used books online and the first part of my moniker was the name of my store because each book was serendipitous! And well, the rest is my name.

My current avatar is Bastet. I have two goddesses at my house and they rule! Literally, we bow to their fuzzy cuddliness.

• Like 2

Ohai, Iz WMDKitty!

WMD because... to put this politely, my digestive tract produces military-grade emissions.

Kitty because I'm a Furry (or something very similar) -- I'm pretty much a cat stuck in a human body. I hate that cliche, but it's the shortest and easiest explanation. I am, in short, a cat that looks human.

My avvy? That's Japanese for "cat", are we noticing a theme?

Anywho, I should get my furry ass to bed, now. (Should have been in bed hours ago, now I think about it.)

• Like 3

My new name refers to a song by the band Fields of the Nephilim, the opening track to their second album, The Nephilim. I'll post the song here for your convenience. I believe the word also means possessed in Spanish, which is a plus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJl8hAeKn8E

The picture is a gif of Psycho Mantis, my favorite boss from the Metal Gear Solid series, which is also one of my favorite video game series.

• Like 2

Okay, so I changed my avatar from a picture of me to something else. Part of the reason why is Google.

Try this little trick: copy/paste or drag your avatar image onto your computer desktop. Then, go to google.com and click "Images." Now, drag your avatar from the desktop to the search field with the camera icon.

BOOM! There's a good chance that the first images to come up are your contributions here on Ex-C. If you use your avatar elsewhere, then someone could figure out everywhere that image is used that is searchable by Google. For example, if I use the same avatar here as I use for my photo on LinkedIn, then someone from there could track me down here.

Just a word of caution to everyone out there that is in no rush to be discovered here.

• Like 2

Wow, good advice, thanks T2M!

(Quick aside: I thought your new pic was a Pill dispenser.)

I picked Lilith because she is a symbol of independent womanhood, and Xianity packs women away into the second-class box. Concern about biblegod's treatment of women was what got me started towards deconversion--I read Ephesians 5:22-24, then found other verses regarding women's rights, or lack thereof.

666 is notorious for being Xians' least favorite number, as it is supposed to symbolize the anti-X. I'm not a satanist, but I decided that any number biblegod doesn't like must be sacred.

The Xians abuse it.

I Googled Lilith and found my profile picture. I like it because it's so dark, and my curing process was a depressing, hopeless era. I still struggle with bitterness towards X. Also, the girl is standing on a ledge. It reminds me of my search for truth, even though it scared me.

• Like 3

Sherlock is Sherlock Holmes, my favorite fictional character. When I got hold of Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes and other Stories" (one of my husband's many collections), I couldn't let it down without finishing a story, especially the novels.

My avatar? I'm still working on it...

Did S.H. believe in god?

You might like this:

http://charlottes-sherlockianjournal.tumblr.com/

Try this little trick: copy/paste or drag your avatar image onto your computer desktop. Then, go to google.com and click "Images." Now, drag your avatar from the desktop to the search field with the camera icon.

You can actually do it without copying it to you computer at all.

Open a second tab (#2) in your browser and go to Google Images. Then return to your first tab (#1) that contains the image you wish to search. Put your mouse over the image click and hold while dragging the image to the other tab (#2), slowly pause so the browser switches to #2 tab and then drag the image down to the search box. The search box will get larger and say "Drop image here". Release the mouse to drop it and VIOLA!!! You get a page that tells you all the links that it appears at.

The other secret though is to click on the link by the top picture that says "All sizes". Then you get to find a bigger or smaller one.

Here is Lillith's only larger

lilith.jpg

I call it picture stalking, I love that Google allows you to search like that. I especially love when I don't know what something is in a picture and I need to find the name or location of the content.

I was recently looking for the location of a wallpaper I have, and I knew the original was not Orenburg Russia, turned out it was in Denmark. Sometimes Google rocks. smile.png

red-train-to-orenburg-t1.jpg

• Like 1

Dory, the fish from Finding Nemo. I'm a ditzy person/clumsy by nature, so it fits perfectly really. No pic yet, will get one up there at

some point.

I LOVE Dory!!!

Me too!

• Like 1

Dory, the fish from Finding Nemo. I'm a ditzy person/clumsy by nature, so it fits perfectly really. No pic yet, will get one up there at

some point.

I LOVE Dory!!!

Me too!

OK I know this is off topic, but I'm pretty sure that Finding Nemo is coming out in Sept. in 3-D....I can't wait!!!! :D

back to topic now.....

some point.

I LOVE Dory!!!

Me too!

OK I know this is off topic, but I'm pretty sure that Finding Nemo is coming out in Sept. in 3-D....I can't wait!!!! biggrin.png

back to topic now.....

September 14 :)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Waking up this thread so that new members (and those who changed theirs) can explain to the world their choice of profile name and photo.

I got tired of the old alias I used to use which could also personally identify me. So picked midniterider. It's mysterious. :-) The symbol is the chaos symbol. In the world of chaos magic it stands for "Nothing is true, everything is permitted." So I make up the rules in my life as I go along.

• Like 1

My name is my birth name.  When I signed up here I wanted to be seen and I wanted to announce to my old school and church (if any of them stumbled in here) I was sick them and their crap.  Now with all the NSA controversy I wish I had chosen something with a little bit of anonymity, but I would still be tracked with my ISP and such, so I guess it doesnt matter.

My pic is me waiting in line at the grocery store a few years back displaying a magazine entitled "The Complete Idiots Guide to christian Prayer" and I thought it was hilarious and very appropriate to see the phrase complete idiot and christian on the same cover.

Ex Christian = Ex Xtian = ExX

+ an extra ex on the end for good measure = my profile name!

I am very imaginative!

And the picture is the groke, a creepy character from the moomins who nobody likes.

Since I've changed it I'll edit instead of posting it again - it's (part of, it has way more tentacles and Jesus's head on the end of a tentacle and teeth and drool and stuff) how the Christian God appears in one of my favourite comic series! I thought it was kinda funny.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed reading this thread and learning about everyone's names and avatars.

I didn't put a lot of thought into mine.  Before ex-C, this was the only Internet forum I ever participated in or joined.  I found this site very shortly after I deconverted.  It was all very new to me.  Aaaaaand, there you have it.

I found a cute picture of my dog as a puppy that I thought mirrored the idea of being new to this site and post-Christianity.

Everything is not quite so new anymore, but I don't feel like changing my name or my picture.

• Like 1

Mine is probably obvious, but a little background.  I remember years earlier some guy in the cult was saying how the movie "V for Vendetta"  was subversive, evil...for the remainder of years I was in the bible cult I dared not watch it because I didn't want to expose myself to "evil".  However as 

my sanity & ability to think for myself returned & after I had the courage to 

walk away from bible religion, seeing "V for Vendetta" was one of the first 

things I HAD to do.

The image I use is a drawing of mine that was originally a pencil drawing that I manipulated in Photoshop. I don't want to spoil the movie for those who haven't seen it, but watching that movie was cathartic...I imagined doing those things V did to all of the abusive men & women who take 

advantage of naive & innocent people using "God" & religion.

My NeverAgainV is I was thinking about how abusive bible religion was & told myself "NEVER AGAIN!!"  I will NEVER let someone take advantage of me again using "gawd" or some damned holy book.

I added the "V" because if I could....I would love to see those religious assholes get a taste of what they've dealt out & then some....

Great movie. Do you watch Phantom and V? It's a bunch of short YouTube videos about V and the Phantom of the Opera being friends and battling different people.

Edit: I tried to post a link, but it didn't work, so look it up if you get a chance. The originals by zshadow (that's the creator's YT name) are the best ones.

• Like 1

Fun thread!

I chose amateur in homage to my agnostic dad.  Back in the 70's, he had calling cards made for himself.  Under his name, where people would put their title, he put "amateur" which I thought was funny then and even funnier and extremely clever now.  After he died, I found some of his leftover cards and still keep one.  Like him, I think of myself as an amateur, definitely no great sage, and I most definitely do not have all the answers, not even many.  

My picture was limited because of size.  Out of all my pictures, there were only a few small enough to put in.  This is a picture of some of my knick-knacks.  The picture says Love, and I do very much think love is the most important part of my journey in this world.  The twisty glass thing is something I got my husband for an anniversary, kinda symbolic of our intertwined lives and a sideways eternity sign.  I don't know why I'm alive, or where we came from, and I'm pretty confident there's no god or afterlife, but I do truly love being alive and it just amazes me that I am HERE and I get to walk around and see things and do things and think things.  

• Like 1

I use kolaida a lot. It's a hybrid of Kodak and Rolaids. I had to come up with an alternate name on the spot in a college class several years ago. We had been studying the guy Kodak and I had rolaids on my desk.  Added the "a" because six years of Spanish taught me it kolaida sounded better and more feminine than kolaid. Still get kool-aid a lot, though. Or kola. I like kola or k, though. 

My profile pic changes a lot. 

• Like 1

My name and picture are the result of my decision to have an anonymous identity, for all the reasons anyone here would want to remain anonymous. The name was a spur of the moment random thought that has no meaning really. Once I had the name, I found a pic of a lemur and a separate pic of a pope, I actually forget now which pope it was. I Photoshopped the lemur face over the pope's face and there ya go.

I have no idea what a lemur faced pope picture means, it's just nonsense to illustrate how I now feel about my Catholic upbringing.

• Like 2