Goodbye Jesus

Oh, For Crying Out Pete's Sake…

Thought2Much

Speaking of Christians lacking bullshit detectors, let me give you another example. Sadly, this one also involves my wife and a multi-level marketing company. I felt that this one deserved its own thread.

Sigh.

The product that she wants to sell supposedly shrinks people's flabby stomachs, arms, and necks. I've asked her what's in this product. All natural ingredients (of course; they're always all natural ingredients) she said. I've asked her how it actually works. She hasn't a clue; she can't even send me information that really describes how it works, either. She says she's lost four inches from her waist. Bullshit, I didn't say (since I don't like sleeping on the couch for months at a time) but thought to myself pretty damn loudly. She thinks she can make a lot of money selling this stuff. I have very, very serious doubts, which I've let her know about.

She's been showing me before and after pictures of people that have used the product. To her chagrin, I was able to point out why almost every photo was bogus.

She finally blurted out, "So are you saying that unless a person has someone take the picture in the same lighting standing in exactly the same spot, you won't believe it?" "Yes! That's exactly right!" I said, "It's called the scientific method! Don't you realize how standing a little differently, lifting up your arms differently, sucking in your gut a little, or changing diet and exercise between photos can affect the results? For me to believe this, there has to be a set of standards by which the effects of this can be measured, or the results just aren't valid!" She said, "But people aren't thinking about that when they're taking the pictures. They're not thinking about standing in the same spot." "Well, they should think about it! All they have to do is set up a little 'x' on the floor." I said.

Sigh. It's just no use. I don't even know why I bother talking to other humans anymore.

• Like 5

They believe, because they NEED something to believe in.

Guest Babylonian Dream

Frustrating to deal with people of faith, isn't it? They're so high on their abilities to think and reason. Also, with all this "all natural" stuff out there, you gotta ask what standards of "natural" are being used. As I'm sure they don't have "recently chopped tree bark". "All Natural" is a cult in of itself.

I provide software to MLMs for a living, but I would never participate in one because I know the actual statistics. Less than 1 in 500 people even make their original investment back.

The MLM owners are by far the worst human being alive even though most of them are "Christians".

• Like 4

Is this some wrap? I think that what my wife wanted to buy about a week ago for like $100, and I told her no. Then she pouted for about two days after that.

I once had someone try to sell me an "all natural" product line that was a MLM scheme. It was an awkward sales pitch at best because I knew more about the truth about their product that they did. Gawd.

Anyhow, if your wife wants to lose weight, I can tell you about the best weight loss program EVER. For free! No MLM! It is this: your caloric intake must be *less* (and that is key!!!) than your caloric expenditure. Works every time!

If she wants a job helping people lose weight, there is this new thing in health care called "coaching". I'm serious. It's very effective in these types of....er, goals.

Just sayin.

• Like 2

welcome to America were we love food, shiny stuff and debt. all that's missing is the magic pill to make our guts shrink. I dread the day someone actually invents one that works that's all we need to really become the laziest society ever. just have her google the product with "scam" behind the name....that works with everything btw.

Is this some wrap? I think that what my wife wanted to buy about a week ago for like $100, and I told her no. Then she pouted for about two days after that.

Yep. That's the one.

Frustrating to deal with people of faith, isn't it? They're so high on their abilities to think and reason. Also, with all this "all natural" stuff out there, you gotta ask what standards of "natural" are being used. As I'm sure they don't have "recently chopped tree bark". "All Natural" is a cult in of itself.

"All natural" is practically a cult. I remember when my brother in-law's wife was going on about how something was "all natural." I looked her dead in the eye and said, "So, if I just went out and picked a bunch of mushrooms at random from the woods right now, would you eat them? After all, they're 'all natural,' aren't they?" She didn't have a good reply to that.

Oh shit this is nothin'

Where I work a bunch of fundies are into these freakin' natural oils that are supposed to make you live longer (kinda backwards huh, they want to meet jeebus but want to stay on earth longer).

Now I don't mind some patchouli but jesus on a stick we now have these old fucks who smelled like cedar and mothballs anyway Ridigwoopsie.gif who now splash on some obnoxious shit and funk up the cube farm every goddam day. And it's all they talk about, they gather in the corner and praise gawd 3some.gif for the mint and palm oil that is so good for their arthritis and why didn't we do this before cause the Israelites used the same thing 2000 years ago!

Where's a lion when you need one?!

Speakings of scams... do they still sell those magnetic bracelet thingies? The ones that supposedly made you healthier.

Speakings of scams... do they still sell those magnetic bracelet thingies? The ones that supposedly made you healthier.

If they do, I'm sure that some stupid Christians are still buying them.

• Super Moderator

I saw some of those in a dollar store last xmas. Speaks volumes for the product, doesn't it? GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Speaking of Christians lacking bullshit detectors, let me give you another example. Sadly, this one also involves my wife and a multi-level marketing company. I felt that this one deserved its own thread.

Sigh.

The product that she wants to sell supposedly shrinks people's flabby stomachs, arms, and necks. I've asked her what's in this product. All natural ingredients (of course; they're always all natural ingredients) she said. I've asked her how it actually works. She hasn't a clue; she can't even send me information that really describes how it works, either. She says she's lost four inches from her waist. Bullshit, I didn't say (since I don't like sleeping on the couch for months at a time) but thought to myself pretty damn loudly. She thinks she can make a lot of money selling this stuff. I have very, very serious doubts, which I've let her know about.

She's been showing me before and after pictures of people that have used the product. To her chagrin, I was able to point out why almost every photo was bogus.

She finally blurted out, "So are you saying that unless a person has someone take the picture in the same lighting standing in exactly the same spot, you won't believe it?" "Yes! That's exactly right!" I said, "It's called the scientific method! Don't you realize how standing a little differently, lifting up your arms differently, sucking in your gut a little, or changing diet and exercise between photos can affect the results? For me to believe this, there has to be a set of standards by which the effects of this can be measured, or the results just aren't valid!" She said, "But people aren't thinking about that when they're taking the pictures. They're not thinking about standing in the same spot." "Well, they should think about it! All they have to do is set up a little 'x' on the floor." I said.

Sigh. It's just no use. I don't even know why I bother talking to other humans anymore.

I saw a commercial recently involving before and after pictures and all the people in the before pictures had sad faces while the after pics they were all smiling. It made me laugh.

Yeah... I think they're made of lead or something, does wonders for the CNS. wicked.gif

Yep. That's the one.

OMG several of my fb friends are selling various scams like this. The B&A pictures they post are so annoying. Being a recovered anorexic, it's tough to have to worry about facing pictures like that whenever I log onto FB.

My jr. high guidance counselor posts stuff about the wrap thing. Since she's the one who gave me all those lines about beauty being on the inside when I was a young teen, I like to turn the tables and give her those same lines back!

I keep bringing my wacko aunt up ad nauseum. She thought she had Lupus and went to a health food store that treated her with some low current electrical device. 10 sessions, then she went and was tested for Lupus and the results were negative so it worked in her mind. fucking idiots (she was never tested prior) By the way, 20 yrs ago she had candida and 10 yrs ago fibromyalgia

I saw some of those in a dollar store last xmas. Speaks volumes for the product, doesn't it? GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Back when I was in jr. high, there was a guy who wore one of those and his reason for wearing it was because he thought it looked fashionable. If people choose to wear one because they like the way they look, then I am ok with it.

http://www.nikken.com/

The fundy ex-mom-in-law sold these.

welcome to America were we love food, shiny stuff and debt. all that's missing is the magic pill to make our guts shrink. I dread the day someone actually invents one that works that's all we need to really become the laziest society ever. just have her google the product with "scam" behind the name....that works with everything btw.

It reaches beyond America. My wife's mom here in Russia believes bee pollen and other natural products can cure anything from kidney disease to depression and has been selling MLM products to her friends for years; and she was a HS physics teacher before she retired. My wife's sister uses the products daily, even though she's living below the poverty line and can't afford this overpriced crap. In the Russian provinces, berries, plants, etc... are still widely used like witch doctor remedies even in this modern era. In Thailand magical cures for what ails you reign supreme and in Italy, they really do believe in superstition; even many of the most educated in society.

Humans in general are gullible.

Magical medical remedies seem to attract women more than men for whatever reason. At least that's my unscientific observation.

A few years ago, my sister and I bought some pills that were supposed to increase our breast size from 1 to 3 cups. We spent at least $350 on those stupid pills. The pills didn't work.

We were devout Christians at the time (well my sister is still a devout Christian); however, we didn't pray to Jesus to increase our breast size lol.

To make a long story short, the company got sued through an action class suit and I was awarded $18 :-( It turned out that a lot of women got duped by the company's false promiseforGot the life of me, I can't remember the name of the pills or the company. Now, I went up two cup sizes without the help of natural pills. I went from being super skinny to a healthy weight. When I think about how gullible I was, I laugh at myself...I also feel a little embarrassed too.

• Like 1

...bought some pills that were supposed to increase our breast size from 1 to 3 cups. The pills didn't work.

We were devout Christians at the time (well my sister is still a devout Christian); however, we didn't pray to Jesus to increase our breast size lol.

That's hilarious! Why don't people understand, even at a basic level, how the body works? If they did, they could see through most scams.

I provide software to MLMs for a living, but I would never participate in one because I know the actual statistics. Less than 1 in 500 people even make their original investment back.

The MLM owners are by far the worst human being alive even though most of them are "Christians".

Hello,

My name is stryper... I am a former Amway/Quixstar rep.

...bought some pills that were supposed to increase our breast size from 1 to 3 cups. The pills didn't work.

That's hilarious! Why don't people understand, even at a basic level, how the body works? If they did, they could see through most scams.

You're right. It didn't occur to me to do some research, I just wanted a quick fix. Well, I learned my lesson. I can laugh at myself for being so gullible.

You're right. It didn't occur to me to do some research, I just wanted a quick fix. Well, I learned my lesson. I can laugh at myself for being so gullible.

Hope springs eternal! I think optimism keeps us moving forward as individuals and as a species. Desperation is also a great motivator!

Hello,

My name is stryper... I am a former Amway/Quixstar rep.

I have to admit I fell for the Primerica crap (as a customer, not a rep). Since they said they were under the Smith/Barney group, I trusted them. We have since moved our money elsewhere.