Goodbye Jesus

What Bible Verses Were Used To Manipulate You When You Were A Believer?

NeverAgainV

Many bible verses were used to manipulate & abuse us. Bible verses were taken out of context, something in the bible meant for someone else, but applied specifically to US to coerce us to do or believe something that we didn't want to. It was never ending & still goes on to this day. Now for starters:

Here is one the pastor used that gets me...

1 Chronicles 13:7-11:

"And they carried the ark of God in a new cart out of the house of Abinadab: and Uzza and Ahio drave the cart...And when they came unto the threshingfloor of Chidon, Uzza put forth his hand to hold the ark; for
the oxen stumbled. And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Uzza, and he smote him, because he put his hand to the ark: and there he died before God.
And David was displeased, because the LORD had made a breach upon Uzza: wherefore that place is called Perezuzza to this day." See also 2 Samuel 6:6-11.
"

So the preacher says the bible tells us how God KILLED Uzza for trying to do what HE-Uzza- thought was best (in not allowing the ark to fall, so he touched it to keep it from falling). The preacher seriously rants how this is a perfect example of how people need to just OBEY. The implication of this bible story was to instill unquestioning obedience in preacher's flock. Don't do what YOU think is best, but what God thinks is best & of course you find out what God wants because it is what the preacher wants. Wendytwitch.gif

This bible story & teaching on it made one begin to question their own ability to make their own decisions..."maybe I need to talk to the preacher about this...I don't want to do what I think is best & get gawd's wrath on me..."

So...this is just one of many many that I can think of that instilled FEAR & unquestioning obedience in the bible cult that is there to this day.

How about you guys?

What bible verses & stories stick in your mind because they were used to manipulate, guilt, abuse you??

What verses were used to get you to do what the pastor wanted you to do or to believe what he wanted you to believe?

• Like 1

That fucking bullshit from Malachi about robbing god.

FUCK I'm sick of hearing that shit every week.

He can feed 5 thousand. But he needs your damn money.

STFU & GTFO

• Like 4

Not from the pastor, but at home:

"Honor thy father and thy mother."

And its companion "Spare the rod and spoil the child." Yes, I know now that isn't actually in the bible. But everybody sure said it was.

And of course, what's in the bible is close enough ...

"He who spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes" (Proverbs 13:24) and "Withhold not correction from a child: for if thou strike him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and deliver his soul from hell." (Proverbs 23:13-14)

• Like 2

Beatings = salvation. Nice.

• Like 1

Almost as weird as women being saved thru childbirth.

WTF?!?!

• Like 1

In general the whole book of Romans was full of verses to "lead you to salvation." The Baptists called it "The Romans Road" or some shit like that. Paul was crazy, but some of that stuff almost sounds reasonable, something like Greek philosophy until you start thinking about it. That's the danger in it.

• Like 2

The 'patience' of Job...........

• Like 1

‘The Lord is slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, forgiving iniquity and transgression, but he will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, to the third and the fourth generation.’

My stepfather loved to pull this out, as he liked to punish me for things my father did before I was alive.

• Like 2

The 'patience' of Job...........

Totally!!! After having now read the whole book I can't for the life of me believe it's even mentioned in church let alone upheld as one of the greatest books of the bible. There is some seriously fucked up shit going down in Job. You know what this means, it's DarkMatter time!!

• Like 1

Not from the pastor, but at home:

"Honor thy father and thy mother."

And its companion "Spare the rod and spoil the child." Yes, I know now that isn't actually in the bible. But everybody sure said it was.

And of course, what's in the bible is close enough ...

"He who spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes" (Proverbs 13:24) and "Withhold not correction from a child: for if thou strike him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and deliver his soul from hell." (Proverbs 23:13-14)

My dad would tell me this sh*t before I'd get a beating, I guess so i'd know that by getting my ass kicked he really loved me and was looking out for me.

• Like 1

Rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, which is punishable by death, and your pastor has spiritual authority over you, so if you disobey him, you are as deserving of death as an old testament witch.

• Like 1

1 Corinthians 8: Concerning Food Sacrificed to Idols

This passage was used to place sooooo many limitations on us that had no real basis in the bible but might be seen as wrong by others. Even if you didn't believe something to be sinful, if there was a chance that someone else might see it that way then you'd better not do it. Forget letting people be responsible for their own actions! If you act as a stumbling block then you'll be condemned as well!

• Like 1

Genesis 19:24 "But Lot's wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt."

Don't look back, don't look back, don't look back, crap, I looked back! Wait... I'm still here. Hm...

The Beautiful Tale of Sapphira and Ananias

Acts 5:2 "With his wife's (Sapphira's) full knowledge (I bet this was weaved into revisions to say she knew to justify what happens next) he (Ananias) kept back part of the money for himself, but brought the rest and put it at the apostles' feet.

5:3 Then Peter said, "Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land?

5:4 Didn't it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn't the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied to men but to God."

5:5 When Ananias heard this, he fell down and died. And great fear seized all who heard what had happened.

5:7 About three hours later his wife came in, not knowing what had happened.

5:8 Peter asked her, "Tell me, is this the price you and Ananias got for the land?" "Yes," she said, "that is the price."

5:9 Peter said to her, "How could you agree to test the Spirit of the Lord? Look! The feet of the men who buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out also." (Ah shit)

5:10 At that moment she fell down at his feet and died. Then the young men came in and, finding her dead, carried her out and buried her beside her husband.

5:11 Great fear seized the whole church and all who heard about these events (the miracles, the Bible claims).

5:14 Nevertheless, more and more men and women believed in the Lord and were added to their number.

This story led me to ask:

And why did they believe -- fear? How is God of the New Testament different than the old? Where is the free-will? Who has not told a lie? Why was lying about withholding money from the authorities regarded so terrible, but the other atrocities were overlooked? How often does a woman die, but the husband receives a second chance? How exactly did they die? Again, why is this story about the money?

Etc...

ETA: This story was used in Bible studies to reinforce God is always watching, and their are consequences to ignoring the Holy Spirit. So God knew if we were really given 10%...

• Like 2

You guys & gals are awesome! zLove1.gif

I wish I could answer everyone's comments, but can't right now. Let's just say that it's nice to know there are others who see through the bible bullshit!woohoo.gif

Some of the verses you guys mention I heard too..oh the fond memories....NOT freak3.gif .

The Beautiful Tale of Sapphira and Ananias

ETA: This story was used in Bible studies to reinforce God is always watching, and their are consequences to ignoring the Holy Spirit. So God knew if we were really given 10%...

Oh, that one brings back memories, too. It was one of the (many) nails in the coffin of my Christianity. I had read the bible in the soaring language of the King James version -- where even the most mundane or horrible tale tends to sound "holy" just because of the translation. Then one day either somebody came to the door or maybe mailed me a new translation. I can't tell you which one it was (there are so many now). All I remember is that it boasted (really boasted) of having an extremely simple vocabulary so that anyone and everyone could understand it. It bragged of using a total of only 1,000 words or 2,000 words or something like that -- and those as short and simple as possible.

I opened it at random and the first thing that came up was your "beautiful" story. And I laughed my head off. In plain, graceless language, it's so obviously a made-up scary tale with no other purpose than to cow children and rubes into quivering obedience. And of course get them to hand over their dough!

It absolutely amazes me that even the most gullible and naive people can't see that little tale of terror for exactly what it is.

Thanks for the memories.

• Like 1

I opened it at random and the first thing that came up was your "beautiful" story. And I laughed my head off. In plain, graceless language, it's so obviously a made-up scary tale with no other purpose than to cow children and rubes into quivering obedience. And of course get them to hand over their dough!

It absolutely amazes me that even the most gullible and naive people can't see that little tale of terror for exactly what it is.

Exactly. The story has all of the elements of an urban legend from today.

• Like 1

I didn't really feel "manipulated and abused". I mean,pastors of the "church" were actually mild,good-natured people , there was no hidden agenda (you know,"Give us money!"). They wanted to preach,what they believed and they did just that. The problem was,that what they believed (and still believe) was f***ing insane , both scientifically (6 thousand year old Earth,ffs) and ethically ...

Let me elaborate that last part. I remember downloading a sermon by one of the pastors (that was already after my deconversion.Out of curiosity,i guess.), where he was telling the story from OT,in which a "man of god" kills a member of the jewish tribe and a foreign woman with a spear ,during sex (I'm not going to look up the appropriate OT verses,you probably know that story anyway). And the pastor wasn't even saying,that the couple was lustful,so God f'ed 'em up because of that... No,he was heavily implying,that the couple was genuinely in love , but since in pursuing their relationship they've violated God's command on racial mixing they deserved to be killed... It's messed up,really.

• Like 1

McDaddy

I hated bible verses that were used to force people to give more $$$. mad.gif We also heard how the "workman was worthy of his hire..." meaning the pastor deserves your $$$.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Merry G - Silent Night - FeelHappy - The verses on beating your children are horrific..abusive. Child abuse in gawd's name. :(

I also hated the "because I'm the boss!! because I said so!!!" shit in the house. That's like encouraging kids to "submit" because ....he said so or he's the boss.

Reminds me of spare the rod spoil the child.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Deva - you are right, it's the good parts that get people sucked in. There are some decent thoughts in the bible, but then when you accept that "good bible verses" over time

you are forced to accept the poison as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Margee - FreeasaBird - Job! Wendybanghead.gif Over time i think that was just repulsive...so much suffering in that story & it was used to shame people "well you haven't had it as bad as JOB!"

The way xpastor told the story it was as if the children who died were just replaced....Wendytwitch.gif no human being can be replaced...but the whole "suffering for gawd" that can lead

to all types of abuse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chickirin - I also heard those same verses. They scared me shitless. It made everyone not even want to step over the line because not obeying...rebelling was worthy of death.

Talk about manipulation!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RabbleRabble we had the same stuff preached to us. the bible group I escaped didn't celebrate xmas..but it was preached that even if we go to a xmas celebration THAT was "eating

foods sacrificed to idols" just one of many examples of manipulation to keep us "obeying" the pastor

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will finish the others later...... the Ananais & Saphira is just totally fucked up...Wendytwitch.gif

‘The Lord is slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, forgiving iniquity and transgression, but he will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, to the third and the fourth generation.’

My stepfather loved to pull this out, as he liked to punish me for things my father did before I was alive.

That is just totally abusive for him to do that to you. sad.png

Yeah. After I moved out I'd have nightmares that he'd come find me and drag me back. I'd also just get really sad and at times even cry for no reason. That didn't last long at least.