Goodbye Jesus

If Your Kids Were Christians ...

darwinfish

To address the OP, it depends. I absolutely would not send my children off to be brainwashed at an evangelical, fundamentalist, or pentecostal church unprotected. I know how they operate.

To address the OP, it depends. I absolutely would not send my children off to be brainwashed at an evangelical, fundamentalist, or pentecostal church unprotected. I know how they operate.

I would like to add, I was really only talking about basic exposure to Christianity. In no way would I let my kids anywhere near the crazies like in Jesus Camp. Both the school and church that my kids attend are fairly benign, questions as young earth vs. old earth, evolution, and the like are never addressed. True, the heaven and hell doctrine is some bs that can lead to problems (dad's going to burn in hell forever?), but they'll get that from their mom regardless. The only issue I had with a sermon, was that they listed being gay, with pedophiles, and rapists. I mean they're all sexual sins, right? And, I told my wife flat out that I'm against the church on the gay issue. But, I feel like early exposure to both my beliefs and my wife's Christian beliefs may start some critical thinking going. That being said, if I didn't have a wife to fight me on this, they wouldn't be in either a Christian church or school at this age.

They would not be brainwashed if you taught them how to operate their bullcrap detectors. If you do, they would grow out of the interest in Xianity. And when people get to a certain age--maybe around nine or ten--you have to start letting them think for themselves. If you don't, then they'll be turned off to whatever you have to say because they will think YOU are trying to brainwash them.