Goodbye Jesus

The Mutation Of The Human Race

Denyoz

But you cant get new information! Wendycrazy.gif

I greatly disagree with the puppets view of consciousness and science.

That's an interesting series. Thanks for sharing that, Den.

• Like 2

Science is not talking about consciousness and what it is? Really?

From Wikipedia:

For many decades, consciousness as a research topic was avoided by the majority of mainstream scientists, because of a general feeling that a phenomenon defined in subjective terms could not properly be studied using objective experimental methods.[52] In 1975 George Mandler published an influential psychological study which distinguished between slow, serial, and limited conscious processes and fast, parallel and extensive unconscious ones.[53] Starting in the 1980s,an expanding community of neuroscientists and psychologists have associated themselves with a field called Consciousness Studies, giving rise to a stream of experimental work published in books,[54] journals such as Consciousness and Cognition, and methodological work published in journals such as the Journal of Consciousness Studies, along with regular conferences organized by groups such as the Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness.[55]

Modern scientific investigations into consciousness are based on psychological experiments (including, for example, the investigation of priming effects using subliminal stimuli), and on case studies of alterations in consciousness produced by trauma, illness, or drugs. Broadly viewed, scientific approaches are based on two core concepts. The first identifies the content of consciousness with the experiences that are reported by human subjects; the second makes use of the concept of consciousness that has been developed by neurologists and other medical professionals who deal with patients whose behavior is impaired. In either case, the ultimate goals are to develop techniques for assessing consciousness objectively in humans as well as other animals, and to understand the neural and psychological mechanisms that underlie it.[25]

I greatly disagree with the video that consciousness is taboo in science today. There are great many books from the scientific community about studies done and what the current views are.

Science is not talking about consciousness and what it is? Really?

From Wikipedia:

For many decades, consciousness as a research topic was avoided by the majority of mainstream scientists, because of a general feeling that a phenomenon defined in subjective terms could not properly be studied using objective experimental methods.[52] In 1975 George Mandler published an influential psychological study which distinguished between slow, serial, and limited conscious processes and fast, parallel and extensive unconscious ones.[53] Starting in the 1980s,an expanding community of neuroscientists and psychologists have associated themselves with a field called Consciousness Studies, giving rise to a stream of experimental work published in books,[54] journals such as Consciousness and Cognition, and methodological work published in journals such as the Journal of Consciousness Studies, along with regular conferences organized by groups such as the Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness.[55]

Modern scientific investigations into consciousness are based on psychological experiments (including, for example, the investigation of priming effects using subliminal stimuli), and on case studies of alterations in consciousness produced by trauma, illness, or drugs. Broadly viewed, scientific approaches are based on two core concepts. The first identifies the content of consciousness with the experiences that are reported by human subjects; the second makes use of the concept of consciousness that has been developed by neurologists and other medical professionals who deal with patients whose behavior is impaired. In either case, the ultimate goals are to develop techniques for assessing consciousness objectively in humans as well as other animals, and to understand the neural and psychological mechanisms that underlie it.[25]

I greatly disagree with the video that consciousness is taboo in science today. There are great many books from the scientific community about studies done and what the current views are.

Totally agree, if anything, even if memory is not fully understood, we understand where cognitive thought comes from. Its a chemical reaction of hundreds of billions of neurons and trillions of neurological connections.

The video also stated science had proven the paranormal...

Totally agree, if anything, even if memory is not fully understood, we understand where cognitive thought comes from. Its a chemical reaction of hundreds of billions of neurons and trillions of neurological connections.

I read a book recently that explained the current scientific understanding of consciousness (including how neuron works). It was only a short introduction, but still, it was most definitely not a forbidden or not-talked-about area.

The problem of understanding consciousness is that science tends to focus on the measurable parts, actual parts like matter, chemistry, etc, but consciousness is about more than that. Consciousness is the result of the "soft" execution of processes on top of the "hard" parts. It's also the interaction with the environment, information, and other people (other consciousnesses). We are like "computer cells" in a network running different versions of a similar "operating system" and unique "softwares." It's a bad analogy, I know, but it hints in the direction of the complexity. It's not just hardware, or just software, or just networking. It's matter, processes, and interaction, all together at once.

I read a book recently that explained the current scientific understanding of consciousness (including how neuron works). It was only a short introduction, but still, it was most definitely not a forbidden or not-talked-about area.

The problem of understanding consciousness is that science tends to focus on the measurable parts, actual parts like matter, chemistry, etc, but consciousness is about more than that. Consciousness is the result of the "soft" execution of processes on top of the "hard" parts. It's also the interaction with the environment, information, and other people (other consciousnesses). We are like "computer cells" in a network running different versions of a similar "operating system" and unique "softwares." It's a bad analogy, I know, but it hints in the direction of the complexity. It's not just hardware, or just software, or just networking. It's matter, processes, and interaction, all together at once.

Regardless its still physical, unlike with this video is suggesting, some kind of mass world wide consciousness, pfft.

Regardless its still physical, unlike with this video is suggesting, some kind of mass world wide consciousness, pfft.

Right. There's no evidence pointing to a supernatural interconnectivity. And it's not necessary to have something like that either to explain consciousness.

Spend some time in my home town back in Tennessee, and you'll see plenty of evidence for human mutation.

I find the story entertaining. Have you seen any scientific studies of chakras or meridians? I've only seen debunking of strawmen.

Nobody is talking about the subject of this thread. sad.png

WE ARE MUTATING, PEOPLE! What do you think about that! (I'm not angry) biggrin.png

Our junk DNA is being reactivated by some force of nature, isn't it exciting? Humankind is evolving, the process is not finished (it never will be), and not just at the intellectual level, but on many other levels. I think evolution happens gradually, but also in leaps sometimes. Whether it's caused by nature or consciousness, it doesn't really matter. If our species is about to mutate into something better, I think it's worth talking about.

Ok now I am going to throw myself into the crazy bin. bye! bye!

toilet_claw.gif

• Like 1

The only real barrier to understanding consciousness is that we have only scratched the surface of how the brain works. The brain is the closest thing to an alien computer that we have encountered. It works on principles completely different to those that govern the logic based proccessores we build. There is also a fundamental problem with the brain trying to understanding itself I discovered in college. I went to school for electronics and one of the tools we used was a software program were you could build schematics for circuits and the computer would emulate that curcuit. When you build a logic gate in the program there is a logic gate in the physical processor that is mimicing that function. Now if you had a Intel i7 processor in your computer and you tried to emulate an I7 processor in the program the computer would crash because the computer is attempting to emulate it's own functions at 1:1 ratio in real time and that would requirew more than 100% of it's processing capacity. In a philosophical sense, the computer can't analyse something equal to or greater than itself directly. Applying this to our own brains; for your brain to completely understand it's own functions would require it to operate at >100% capacity. To understand the entirety of your neurological processes would require the entirety of your neurological processes.

Den, I haven't watched the video yet,( I will a bit later), but there's a video by Youtube Atheist Aron-Ra abut beneficial mutations that have shown up in modern humans.

Look up the toddler with three DNA strands. It does not look like a beneficial mutation.

WE ARE MUTATING, PEOPLE! What do you think about that! (I'm not angry) biggrin.png

It's not really any news or strange. We learned in biological/physical anthropology that at least every second human born has a unique mutation to their DNA.

Our junk DNA is being reactivated by some force of nature, isn't it exciting?

I don't think it's a "force" in nature reactivating them but rather the same process that's always been there. Genes are turned on and off by chance and mutations all the time. That's one of the reasons for cancer and other diseases, but also for congenital birth "defects" (not always detrimental).

Humankind is evolving, the process is not finished (it never will be), and not just at the intellectual level, but on many other levels. I think evolution happens gradually, but also in leaps sometimes. Whether it's caused by nature or consciousness, it doesn't really matter. If our species is about to mutate into something better, I think it's worth talking about.

We always were mutating. That's how it works and that's what the Theory of Evolution always said. Sorry, but it's not as exciting news to me since it's know facts in science. :shrug:

Ok now I am going to throw myself into the crazy bin. bye! bye!

toilet_claw.gif

:grin: We all belong there...

Look up the toddler with three DNA strands. It does not look like a beneficial mutation.

3 DNA strands? Then it must be a chimera defect. It happens when a twin fuses with the surviving fetus. It's very uncommon, but not unheard of.

Or is it an XXY defect? That's not unheard of either, and it's not 3 different strands of DNA but just an additional sex chromosome. Most of the time no one will even notice and the carrier not even know their whole life.

---

Okay, I found an article about the boy. I'm not sure what they mean since the article says that one of the chromosomes has an extra "arm" and they call it an extra DNA. That's not quite accurate. It's like saying that you have an extra car because you have one more door in it. It's not an extra DNA unless there's a complete set of all chromosomes duplicated. The DNA is the whole thing, not just a part of it. The parts are chromosomes. Which is divided in genes. And so on.