Goodbye Jesus

No, This Can't Be Happening

blackpudd1n

I'm so glad your kittay is better! I don't know how I missed this thread yesterday.

At the Ro-bear house we have two new kittays; they were on the road next to dead momma cat. One had one of its eyes all goopy. They are wild as can be, but they are starting to settle down a bit. They are more interested in food than affection at this point. Of course there is a trust issue because about half the time we grab them we do unpleasant medical stuff. The girls talked me into letting them keep them. The cat with seniority is a bit put off by this new development and is spending even more time outside. Hopefully she makes nice before it gets cold. I told the girls that if the beagle eats the little furballs, it's their fault. So far beagle is behaving like a gentleman.

Well, that's all my kitty news. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Yay!! Baby puddins!!!! They should settle down in time. Bribery always helps, and baby puddins are always hungry :) Your older cat should settle down at some point- extra treats and attention will help that along :) Baby puddins can be full-on for everyone :)

We thought our new cat was pregnant, she had a big belly that kept getting bigger, but at the time she would have gone into labour we thought something wasn't right. A trip to the vet and... she isn't pregnant, she's just fat. She'd gone into season and wouldn't shut the hell up, and we couldn't get any sleep. She's been desexed and doesn't keep us awake with her meowing anymore. She still tries to pick fights with the male cat sometimes but they don't often get into nasty fights anymore. The other female cat is scared of her, and won't come down from

the furniture even to go into the litter and will crap on the furniture. If shut in my mother's doom on her own she's fine but she can't live in there forever. Don't know what to do about that :(

Sigh. She seems to have gone downhill a little again. She came into the kitchen when Bruce was hungry and wanted some food, so I put out some bikkies for them both, but she just looked at them and walked away. Her last feed was very small, so I was hoping she'd worked up a bit of an appetite when she came out. Instead she just had a drink of water, looked at me sadly, and went back to bed. Poor sweetheart, she's really not feeling the best.

I'm just staying out of her way, letting her have the loungeroom to herself. She's favouring one of the recliners in there, so I've got the light off for her and the door open, and she can come and go as she pleases.

Bruce is out of sorts and distressed again, he's started the yowling up is begun pestering me again, as if to say, "mum, do something, mum, make her better". He's very protective of her and gets so sad when she's not well. Depending on how she is in the morning, I may have to take her back again just to check that temperature.

We thought our new cat was pregnant, she had a big belly that kept getting bigger, but at the time she would have gone into labour we thought something wasn't right. A trip to the vet and... she isn't pregnant, she's just fat. She'd gone into season and wouldn't shut the hell up, and we couldn't get any sleep. She's been desexed and doesn't keep us awake with her meowing anymore. She still tries to pick fights with the male cat sometimes but they don't often get into nasty fights anymore. The other female cat is scared of her, and won't come down from

the furniture even to go into the litter and will crap on the furniture. If shut in my mother's doom on her own she's fine but she can't live in there forever. Don't know what to do about that sad.png

Sounds like it's time to get the big guns out. Some Feliway might help all your cats adjust to the stress of having the new cat in the house. It's not cheap, but you can get it for less online, and it's not guaranteed to work with all cats, but it does have quite a high success rate. I'd recommend trialing the spray first, as it is the cheaper option. If you spoke to any vet, they'd all recommend try the Feliway for a bit. For the cat who won't come down from the furniture, the spray should work well, as it goes on the furniture or entryways etc, so the pieces she's not leaving you could directly hit with the spray.

It's not guaranteed to work, but it's a better option than having her put on prozac to calm her down. In which case, you'll be trying to get a cat to take a tablet every day, which usually doesn't go down well with cats. If she does respond well to the Feliway, hopefully she'll only need three months on it and she'll be fully adjusted :)

Thanks pudd :)

Thanks pudd smile.png

No worries. :) An unhappy cat is just as distressing as a sick cat. Feliway seems to have better success in calming down stressed cats than in stopping problem spraying by male cats, but even in that instance it does have a good record of decreasing the amount of spraying going on.

I'm sorry. I have two cats and if anything happened to them I would hole up in my bedroom for a week.

I'm sorry. I have two cats and if anything happened to them I would hole up in my bedroom for a week.

That's pretty much where I'm at lol. She went and had a couple of mouthfuls of food, then went back to bed again. Poor sweetheart.

I really hope Wednesday pulls through. FIP sounds hideous.

Quick mention... Feliway is homeopathic, with all that term entails. Here's a quick rundown of the research on its effectiveness. They've got a very slick marketing scheme and a lot of vets sell it and recommend it, but after spending damn near US$100 on little plug-in balls and mister sprays and god knows what, it did about as much to help my newly-integrated Brady Bunch family of cats get along as if I'd just misted the air with tap water. Don't do like me and spend too much money on it until you know if whatever extra chemicals in it are actually going to work on your cats.

Actually, I think you are mistaken about Feluway being honeopathic. It's synthesised cat pheremones, the type cats leave when they scent-mark by face-rubbing. As for whether it works or not, all I can tell you is that it made no difference to my cat's behaviour, and it made my house smell like sweaty, unwashed cat. If you've ever owned a sweaty, unwashed cat, you'll know that ain't good.

I'm glad to be corrected (my memory of it being homeopathic is based upon my reading of its bottle), but the link with the survey of research about still stands. I just wrote the company to ask about it--the webpages I've consulted just now seem to go both directions with their description of Feliway. Some lump it in quite happily with lists of homeopathic remedies; others describe it as hormonal. Either way, it didn't do shit for my kitties. Just go slowly if you're going to spend the cash for something like that. I went whole hog because my vet recommended it and had nothing to show for it later but an oddly funky-smelling house.

• Super Moderator

Hugs to all the Pudds!

I'm glad to be corrected (my memory of it being homeopathic is based upon my reading of its bottle), but the link with the survey of research about still stands. I just wrote the company to ask about it--the webpages I've consulted just now seem to go both directions with their description of Feliway. Some lump it in quite happily with lists of homeopathic remedies; others describe it as hormonal. Either way, it didn't do shit for my kitties. Just go slowly if you're going to spend the cash for something like that. I went whole hog because my vet recommended it and had nothing to show for it later but an oddly funky-smelling house.

That's why I recommended the spray, and buying it online to do a trial run. I have looked into it before for Bruce, but haven't actually tried it myself. I was concerned that he was over-grooming earlier this year, but by the time I'd made up my mind to trial the spray, he'd stop that and settled down. I know some people personally who swear by it and have had good results with it, but do concede that some cats don't respond to it. Thing is, RedStar's cat just isn't coping, and I don't remember exactly how long ago she got her new cat, but I know it was at least six weeks ago. Her cat's at crisis stage, and really, the only other option she's going to have with her is prozac. To me, when you're looking at your cat going on prozac, anything is worth a try. I wouldn't recommend flower essences, because that is just a load of hogwash, but personally, I think the Feliway is worth a trial run with the spray.

*BIG HUGS*

I hope Wednesday pulls through.

She still tries to pick fights with the male cat sometimes but they don't often get into nasty fights anymore. The other female cat is scared of her, and won't come down from

the furniture even to go into the litter and will crap on the furniture. If shut in my mother's doom on her own she's fine but she can't live in there forever. Don't know what to do about that :(

There is this stuff called Feliway you can get to improve the behaviour of a group of cats that are having troubles. It is an artificial pheromone (the one that is involved when your cat tries to rub its chin against you).

It is like the Ambi-Pur things that you plug in to the electricity socket. The refills cost about $55 a month and the initial holder thingo was about $60 I think. You buy them from the vet over the counter.

We have four cats, one aged 15 and the rest are just young - 2, 4, and 5 years old. The old one kept on running away from home because he was stressed by the young whippersnappers.They all play much nicer now (most of the time).

I hope she's doing better today :)