Goodbye Jesus

Heeeeaaalllllld By The Power Of Gaaaawwwwd

par4dcourse

I apologize for the length. I'm not usually this wordy.

I had a recent mild bout of depression. I've been treated before, usually with mild meds, but it's been nearly 8 years since my last run. I take gracious plenty 'scripts for my other ailments, so I really didn't want to take meds. (A big thanks to my Ex-c friend who listened.)

One of my interests is brain stuff, and I've been reading heavily about the how much stuff the subconscious controls without conscious input. Walking, eating, biking, even a lot of driving is done without "thinking" about it. The conscious only gets involved when something is amiss. I have long since practiced giving my subconscious time to work when I can't remember and most times it will indeed pop up an answer. It also influences our hunches, gut-feelings, and preferences.

I decided to see if I could get it to work for me. Before bed last weekend I did a sort of semi-meditation and I talked to my inner brain. I said "look, I'm tired of this depression shit and I want you to work it out or at least give my conscious mind a clue as to what's wrong."

Sometime early week it occurred to me that I was mighty chipper. I felt like my old teflon self, and genuinely happy again. I gave it a few days to make sure it wasn't just a fluke, but as of today I'm still feeling good, interested in life again, and moving amongst the living again.

Then it hit me. If I had just said "dear god......" at the beginning of my self talk, I would have a great "miracle healing ain't god grand" story.

I imagine that's how people get hooked. While the faithful are praying and being prayed for they are thinking about their problem and the subconscious pays attention and tries to fix (to the extent possible) what's wrong, and the big guy gets the undue credit.

Great work if you can get it.

• Like 7

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

At times I have been tempted to pray so I will intentionally say a serious and pious prayer to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Not a joke. It's more of an experiment in how praying makes me feel about my life being out of control. And at times when the situation improves . . . weird.

Hey Par.....glad to hear you're feeling better. And to think you did this yourself!! A little talk to the brain and a bunch of good things can happen. I had a friend one time who 'talked' to her arthritis in her knees all the time..... a personal conversation with her legs and she was ready to go!! She swore by it. I'm a total believer in the mind-body connection and I just got back into it myself.

I have been a faithful follower of Dr.Joe Dispenza for a long, long time. Check out his video on his webpage! it's quite interesting!! You will relate to this, I'm sure. I have listened to many of his lectures, but this one, is one of the best - he sums a lot up here about 'talking to the brain'........18 minutes well worth watching to help keep your good attitude!!

I got your back bud! (wink) Best of everything to you!

http://www.drjoedispenza.com/

I'm really glad this worked for you, Par. The mind is really so powerful.

I am thinking I might try something like this for my career problems. Maybe if i just try to let it go for awhile an answer and a new direction might come to mind.

Thanks for the video Margee. That's exactly the reasoning that I'm researching.

Deva, I've had success with the "let the subconscious have it" process before, just not as definitively. It's worth a try.

• 3 weeks later...

A positive mindset and persistence does help a lot. you can personify depression and imagine it just throwing up its arm or giving up after all these years of trying to bring you down but failing. good job!

Hey Par.....glad to hear you're feeling better. And to think you did this yourself!! A little talk to the brain and a bunch of good things can happen. I had a friend one time who 'talked' to her arthritis in her knees all the time..... a personal conversation with her legs and she was ready to go!! She swore by it. I'm a total believer in the mind-body connection and I just got back into it myself.

I have been a faithful follower of Dr.Joe Dispenza for a long, long time. Check out his video on his webpage! it's quite interesting!! You will relate to this, I'm sure. I have listened to many of his lectures, but this one, is one of the best - he sums a lot up here about 'talking to the brain'........18 minutes well worth watching to help keep your good attitude!!

I got your back bud! (wink) Best of everything to you!

http://www.drjoedispenza.com/

Thanks, Margee. It's a good video. I may get the book.

I apologize for the length. I'm not usually this wordy.

I had a recent mild bout of depression. I've been treated before, usually with mild meds, but it's been nearly 8 years since my last run. I take gracious plenty 'scripts for my other ailments, so I really didn't want to take meds. (A big thanks to my Ex-c friend who listened.)

One of my interests is brain stuff, and I've been reading heavily about the how much stuff the subconscious controls without conscious input. Walking, eating, biking, even a lot of driving is done without "thinking" about it. The conscious only gets involved when something is amiss. I have long since practiced giving my subconscious time to work when I can't remember and most times it will indeed pop up an answer. It also influences our hunches, gut-feelings, and preferences.

I decided to see if I could get it to work for me. Before bed last weekend I did a sort of semi-meditation and I talked to my inner brain. I said "look, I'm tired of this depression shit and I want you to work it out or at least give my conscious mind a clue as to what's wrong."

Sometime early week it occurred to me that I was mighty chipper. I felt like my old teflon self, and genuinely happy again. I gave it a few days to make sure it wasn't just a fluke, but as of today I'm still feeling good, interested in life again, and moving amongst the living again.

Then it hit me. If I had just said "dear god......" at the beginning of my self talk, I would have a great "miracle healing ain't god grand" story.

I imagine that's how people get hooked. While the faithful are praying and being prayed for they are thinking about their problem and the subconscious pays attention and tries to fix (to the extent possible) what's wrong, and the big guy gets the undue credit.

Great work if you can get it.

Prayer = magic = self hypnosis.

At times I have been tempted to pray so I will intentionally say a serious and pious prayer to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Not a joke. It's more of an experiment in how praying makes me feel about my life being out of control. And at times when the situation improves . . . weird.

Sometimes the situation does improve...at a rate that looks suspiciously similar to random chance. :D

A positive mindset and persistence does help a lot.

This is exactly right. It's kind of like how you can will yourself to feel unwell when you don't feel like going to work. Once you get that train of thought going, you start thinking your stomach is queasy, you're really tired, you might be coming down with a cold, etc. It's like the power of suggestion. It just goes in the opposite direction when you're standing in a healing line getting prayed for. If you can't tell if you've been healed, you just feel good anyway because of the atmosphere and you deceive yourself into thinking "God is at work".

Just prior to my deconversion, I spent a lot of time thinking about prayer and whether it actually worked. I realized that simply talking to myself about my own problems made me feel better. It didn't need to be god that I was addressing. Once I had vented my problems, it was almost like a weight lifted off me.

Every tangible experience I had with the presence of God was simply part of one big psychological trip.

I regularly let my subconscious work on something. I call it "percolating". If I've got a problem, I'll think about it all day long. I look at it from every angle I can, and I try to see how many different solutions I can come up with. Then I work out why each solution won't work. I'll go and talk it over with my dad, use him as a sounding board. And then, I go and sleep on it. I usually have a solution that will work when I wake up, because I have given my subconscious so much to process.

I do the same thing when I'm studying; if the shit's not making sense, I just cram as much of it into my head as I can until I'm so tired I have to sleep, and then go and sleep on it. When I wake up, it all makes sense. It helps when I'm stuck with an essay, too :)

I pretty much live by that old saying to sleep on it these days, because the subconcious mind is such an incredible thing :)

• Super Moderator

Jesus, Larry. You're a fucking woo-woo.

Seriously though, I am thoroughly convinced of mind miracles. Glad you're feeling better.