Goodbye Jesus

Made The Dean's List At School

PandaPirate

I'm in my 40's and I recently decided to go back and finish college. When I began college in teens, I had graduated high school early, only because I wanted to get the hell out of school, which I hated. It's not that I didn't love knowledge, I was just itching to get out and LIVE. And I did that. I did it well. I lived a life on the edge and I can really say that I don't have any regrets.

Even though I've struggled with drug addiction and depression, I've learned to live with it. I've pretty much learned how to be a functioning addict, and as for the depression, I know that it comes in cycles and has a lot to do with what I eat. I take my meds and I exercise. I also get the fun drugs like morphine and xanax because I have chronic pain and chronic insomnia.

All that being said, when I went back to school in the summer it was pretty challenging. At one point I did something to my neck which resulted in my having to go to the ER 3 times in a 2 week period. Finally, they did an MRI and found a herniated disc and osteoarthritis from C1-C7. I could not get out of bed for most of those 2 weeks. I went through a really bad phase of insomnia also. Then, my mom decided she didn't want to let me talk to my daughter anymore (more on that subject later.) I went crazy after that.

Even through all that, I managed to get a 3.85 for the semester and made the Dean's Honor Roll for summer. And I have to say that I'm pretty damn proud of myself for doing it!

• Like 8

Way to go, Panda! What an inspiration you are to me :)

Great work! I'm happy for you!

• Super Moderator

Congrats! You have every right to be proud of yourself!

• Like 1

Awesome! You should be proud of yourself, you did great, especially after all you've been through.

• Like 1

Who's awesome? You're awesome.

Here's hoping you can keep up that average!

Wonderful. Great work!!!!

Panda, I ran out of points for today but want to congratulate you! What an awesome success and inspiration you are!! Wishing you the VERY best for the rest (though with your determination, no doubt you'll succeed!)

Congratulations!

I'm about to start university at the age of 31, with some mental health issues, learning difficulty and physical health problems. I'm pretty nervous about it, but your experiences make me feel reassured that I can make a success of it.

I wish you all the best for the rest of your studies.

Good job!

Mondo Congrats !

Good job. Show those young punks who's boss.

I went back to school and graduated in my mid 30's. I think that as you get comfortable with college, you'll find that being older and with some life experience is a significant advantage. Lots of young people out there are frighteningly intelligent- and have some real advantages over us old farts when it comes to computers and such. But there's no substitute for experience and perspective.

Congrats! I'm back in college at 37 myself. It's easier for me to stay focused at this age. Keep fighting!

• 2 weeks later...

that's awesome!good job!