Need Some Help From Young Adults...no Kids Especially

I wasn't sure where to post this or if it is even appropriate here. I just figured THIS forum, exC, might be the best place to get some brainstormed ideas for this...

I'm involved with organizing for our local freethinkers group AND I'm also serving on the board of directors at a UU. I need some help visioning what young adults leaving, or thinking of leaving Christianity, might find useful in a church-like setting. I've included some information about our "target market" below.

Target market:

Older teens/young adults (up to 35-40ish) with no kids that are newly out on their own or moved to the area for school or military and are looking for a community and may or may not be religious and not know about options other than a traditional church setting. SEEKERS.

I fully realize not all of our target market is interested in a church-type community. Some would prefer to stay as far away from that at all. Those are NOT our target market. Our target market are the seekers. The young adults that are questioning and open to non-traditional ways of seeking.

Goal:

Reach and introduce target market to Unitarian Universalism, humanism, secularism through various means such as music, social opportunities, social justice/human rights activism, etc.

Methods:

Here's where I need your help!

I feel that the target market I mentiond does often look for a place of community and unfortunately UUs are fairly notorious for NOT meeting the needs of this demographic. This year we (our UU church) will focus on this demographic but most of our members are either young parents, middle aged, or seniors. The few young adults we have are pretty much nerdy type computer or psych geeks. Our church is 5-minutes from the university campus AND someone is finally starting an SSA (Secular Students Alliance) there. We want to support the SSA by having programs to meet the needs of the potential seekers that maybe want to continue in a somewhat familiar church-like setting.

But what? All I'm asking is for some brainstorming here. Just throw out ideas of what you remember from church that you DID like, what you miss, or just some community-type things that sound fun. Music is the only thing that has been mentioned by the few we have spoken to, but how? When? What? What else?

Thanks for your input!

Guest Valk0010

I think transportation helps, like the ability to carpool or some group bus. Cause there might be people who leave with a reasonable distance away from the place that don't have a license or a way to get there, and they would be like cool these people could help to get me there.

• Like 1

Directly contact the SSA on campus - ask them what they'd like, what you can do for them. At least that's how the the UUs got in touch with campus pagans, and their CUUPS program - emailed me, since I led a campus pagan group. And in Alabama, having all the allies we could find was good.

• Like 1

Thanks Valk. Offering a ride would be easy to do and a great suggestion.

Lunatic, sometimes the answers are so simple we just miss them, eh? I've contacted the SSA president and I'm going to do just that, ask them! :) Thanks.

A roller derby team. Hopefully your team would get to go up against some fundy teams, elbow some fundies in the ribs lol.

Don't mind me, I'm just being silly :P For some reason, that's what popped into my mind. Roller derby :P

• Like 2

Guest Babylonian Dream

Sports teams, church activities, and different groups for doing different hobby-ideas. That's one of the things (one of the only things) I missed about my church as a kid growing up.

• Like 1

A roller derby team. Hopefully your team would get to go up against some fundy teams, elbow some fundies in the ribs lol.

Don't mind me, I'm just being silly tongue.png For some reason, that's what popped into my mind. Roller derby tongue.png

Ha ha BP! I actually love it! Well, we don't have enough people for our own team. BUT! We have an awesome roller derby team here that I think would come do some kind of fun stuff for an event. They came out in support of the Pride Fest this spring. That's what I love about brainstorming! It's way different than hurricane storming. ;[

Sports teams, church activities, and different groups for doing different hobby-ideas. That's one of the things (one of the only things) I missed about my church as a kid growing up.

Thanks for the input BD. Sports teams... we could maybe do something with baseball or soccer here. Great ideas!

• 3 weeks later...

Having non-religiously-affiliated volunteering opportunities...I love helping people out, but a lot of the things out there are church programs and frankly I'd rather give the credit to humanist morality than biblegod.

Lol, noggy, I think they can get drugs and beer without my help. :)

Nyxe, that's a great idea. It has been my opinion that was something young adults were interested in but maybe it's because there are just SO many causes to be concerned about these days...it's been hard to provide an opportunity that meets that need. My thinking is that our UU would do well to join together with our humanist chapter and our progressive groups to make this happen in a meaningful way. It's good to hear that volunteering is indeed something of interest.

One thing I'd love to see get started is a local Volunteers Beyond Belief group. http://foundationbeyondbelief.org/vbb

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, just marketing events in areas that these people might find it. Bookstores, coffee shops and the like and as Nyx said, non-religious based volunteer opportunities. Doing something just to be nice is a lot more satisfying than doing something to try to convert someone to your religion/business. :P

Free food.

That'll attract anyone.

That's for sure. The churches do it at the colleges here. Free hamburgers and you'll be saved!

We have a church mascot! It's Daisy Dog! Ha ha! She's our church administrators dog and she always comes to work with her during the week and sometimes on weekends, too! She's the sweetest pitbull you'll ever meet.

If it was up to me it'd be a cat though. :)

• Like 1