Goodbye Jesus

What Is The Point Of A Sacrifice?

Rachelmum

Your own take Hans???

That sacrifice is a pagan practice that was borrowed into Christianity.

I studied some anthropology a while back, and the interesting idea with blood sacrifice is the idea that blood contains life/soul/spirit, and spiritual beings (like gods, demons, etc) can only receive spiritual gifts. You can't give cookies and milk to a god. It has to be a spiritual gift, i.e. someone's life.

This sacrifice thing is so primitive. Why is blood important? "The life of the flesh is in the blood". But if God is all powerful then he has total control. Except he doesn't, actually. Why? So-called free will has more power than God. God is compelled by another force more powerful than himself. The power of "free-will". All because of this we have the crazy "sacrifice" thing so that God can be satisfied. It is nuts.

How is humanity supposed to learn Ms. D? On our own, really? What percentage does that......a narrow few. "wide is the path to destruction...but narrow is the gate..."

How do children learn while growing up? By sacrificing chickens and pigs on the school yard? People don't learn through sacrifices. They learn through education and experience.

Humans have been learning on our own. Science has progressed through human thoughts, sweat, and work, not prayer, nor blood.

Again, very basic, why does the death of innocents satisfy a god who is ostensibly merciful, in control of all creation, the definition of love, and therefore not bloodthirsty?

I've already answered that....the heirarchy is defined in Genesis. If you were God, would you sacrifice a human life or an animals with new rules.

No, you proposed an hypothesis of HOW that deity implements the system payment in blood, but you still didn't address the question - WHY does this perfect deity feel pleased and satisfied by the deaths of his own creations? It's fucked up.

It is fucked up. That's why many Christians are fucked up too. All the conflicting ideas between their religion and reality is messing with their heads.

How do children learn while growing up? By sacrificing chickens and pigs on the school yard? People don't learn through sacrifices. They learn through education and experience.

BS Hans...your children watch you work and sacrifice for your family.

Humans have been learning on our own. Science has progressed through human thoughts, sweat, and work, not prayer, nor blood.

Again, horse hockey.....there have been many a war fought, many a field plowed, many a ship built in faith. Really bad statement H.

It is fucked up. That's why many Christians are fucked up too. All the conflicting ideas between their religion and reality is messing with their heads.

You are not the Author. You are only the author of your own book. But good try. Keep telling yourself you got it.

Again, very basic, why does the death of innocents satisfy a god who is ostensibly merciful, in control of all creation, the definition of love, and therefore not bloodthirsty?

I've already answered that....the heirarchy is defined in Genesis. If you were God, would you sacrifice a human life or an animals with new rules.

No, you proposed an hypothesis of HOW that deity implements the system payment in blood, but you still didn't address the question - WHY does this perfect deity feel pleased and satisfied by the deaths of his own creations? It's fucked up.

No it's not foobarred. Why would humanity learning a moral principle, a grace be foobarred? You have been washed in the blood of PCness. A shame you own a sled too. What a dichotomy. I'll pray.

BS Hans...your children watch you work and sacrifice for your family.

So they learn to tell the truth and be honest by me being gone 40 hours a week? No. That's not it. Sorry.

I'm actually working from home.

Besides, the Bible "sacrifice" is about killing an animal (or human) and shed the blood to apease the gods, not by "sacrificing" your time. Time and money doesn't compare to someone's life.

Again, horse hockey.....there have been many a war fought, many a field plowed, many a ship built in faith. Really bad statement H.

Huh? So you're saying that the latest mission to Mars was successful because someone cut the throat on some poor chicken in the backyard? Stupid. Utterly stupid.

You are not the Author. You are only the author of your own book. But good try. Keep telling yourself you got it.

I don't think I "got it". But I can know when someone else doesn't "have it" either. Christians most definitely do not.

You really don't even have the foggiest clue about how things in the real world work, do you?

So there you have it. There is no point to the sacrifice in the Bible. The apologists have given their best effort and the results are laughable.

Bible answers were dreamed up by Iron Age barbarians. It's a glimpse into the mind of our ancestors, back when we imagined every shadow and every event had some invisible spirit creature working in the background. Blood sacrifice is common to pagan religions in order to appease these imaginary spirit beings. Obviously it is in the Bible as a holdover from even older religions.

i did too answer it.....a life for a life.....there has to be a balance to reach an equillibrium within a system.....natural law sir. What would make you think Spiritual Law is any different.....other than you think is is make belief and non-objective

How does the life of a particular animal equal the life "spent" when a particular sin is committed? It's a ridiculous concept that is the result of primitive, barbaric thinking. It's just like throwing a virgin into a volcano to make it stop erupting.

• Like 1

There's no learning with y'all....ears to hear is the term I think the Bible uses. Factamentalists. Damn that's good. What is that quote....some guy with an "I" starting his last name 1907 -1994 I think....something along the lines of life is in the unknown, not the known. Crap, I don't remember.

You people are fooling yourselves. At least Anterman has it right....you all are ignoring the life half of life opting for the facts. Pure de stupid. But hey, it's your choice.....mostly.

I'm out peeps....you don't even challenge the hem of the garment. PEEECE

So there you have it. There is no point to the sacrifice in the Bible. The apologists have given their best effort and the results are laughable.

Bible answers were dreamed up by Iron Age barbarians. It's a glimpse into the mind of our ancestors, back when we imagined every shadow and every event had some invisible spirit creature working in the background. Blood sacrifice is common to pagan religions in order to appease these imaginary spirit beings. Obviously it is in the Bible as a holdover from even older religions.

I thought I asked you to please leave me alone. You sir, I abhore and you bring out the very worst in me. I see through your pretend quiet exterior to your utter disdain. Scary huh.

end:

"I have no evidence, not even from the Bible, for my views, therefore I win!"

Congratulations, end. You win a prize, which is getting to read this post. I hope you enjoy it.

I thought I asked you to please leave me alone. You sir, I abhore and you bring out the very worst in me. I see through your pretend quiet exterior to your utter disdain. Scary huh.

There is absolutely nothing provocative in mymistake's post. You have failed to make your case, end. Just accept that you have no idea what you're talking about with some maturity, and move on.

end:

"I have no evidence, not even from the Bible, for my views, therefore I win!"

Congratulations, end. You win a prize, which is getting to read this post. I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks T2M, I want to thank all the little people in my life who have made this possible. You shall remain nameless so I may finish before the music plays. But, I would like to thank God for the opportunity to play the role of egregious lost sinner.

There is absolutely nothing provocative in mymistake's post. You have failed to make your case, end. Just accept that you have no idea what you're talking about with some maturity, and move on.

Ok, I accept. You going to be ok now?

Crap, I've spent at least 17 years at Christianity...I was sure hoping I had some idea what I was talking about. But oh well, our ways are not God's ways. Glory!

• Super Moderator

All my Viking love to you, end3! Stay happy!!! yellow.gif

But oh well, our ways are not God's ways. Glory!

Said every Christian who has ever lost a theological argument since ever.

• Like 1

Ok, I accept. You going to be ok now?

Crap, I've spent at least 17 years at Christianity...I was sure hoping I had some idea what I was talking about. But oh well, our ways are not God's ways. Glory!

I was a Christian for over twenty years. They don't start teaching you the really good stuff until at least 18 years in, and even then only if they think you can handle the information.

Said every Christian who has ever lost a theological argument since ever.

In your factual thought processes sir, you missed the <sarcasm>. That's where the life is. Next time I will put it in brackets so you will get it.

Oh, crap. I spent 30 years as a Christian in 4 different damn-nations (denominations, or demon-minations), and payed for a stupid 1 year Bible college (expensive and full time for 10 months), and worked for free for church several times a week, worked as usher, and blah blah blah, I was sure was hoping I had some idea what I was talking about.

One thing I know for sure. Each and every Christian and every denomination have their own interpretation of what is the "True™" and "Correct™" way of understanding the Bible. There are more opinions in Christianity than there's in Economics. (Hey, any economist out there? You get the joke.)

There's no learning with y'all....ears to hear is the term I think the Bible uses. Factamentalists. Damn that's good. What is that quote....some guy with an "I" starting his last name 1907 -1994 I think....something along the lines of life is in the unknown, not the known. Crap, I don't remember.

The Babble doesn't talk about "sacrifice" as working hard. In fact, the Bible argues that "salvation through work" is futile. So sacrifice through work as you suggested earlier to me doesn't match the Bible. The Bible, the "factumentalist" version is that Jesus gave his blood. You never sang that song? Or any of the blood songs? Cleansed in the blood? Doesn't ring a bell? Ok. Well. Perhaps I've been around more Christian versions than you.

You people are fooling yourselves. At least Anterman has it right....you all are ignoring the life half of life opting for the facts. Pure de stupid. But hey, it's your choice.....mostly.

You're mistaken that Christianity is the only way of experiencing life to the fullest. Somehow you're equating "Good life" and "Full life" with "Christian belief." My experience says otherwise.

I'm out peeps....you don't even challenge the hem of the garment. PEEECE

Hemming and hawing... nothing gained by it.

(Hey, any economist out there? You get the joke.)

You will be playing here all week? Waiter, bring me another. I can't do another econmist joke. What time does Larry the Cable Guys show start?