Abraham-Hicks

Journey

A friend of mine has been trying to convince me that the 'teachings of Abraham-Hicks' are what I need in my life now that I have de-converted from Christianity. About 2 years ago, while visiting her, I shared with her that after much soul searching and study I came to the conclusion that the bible was definitely NOT inerrant and once that thread was pulled the whole 'religion' fell apart for me. I have gone through the typical seasons of 'grief' in losing my 'faith' and even more so as I recently lost my mom and with all my family being evangelical christians I kind of played along with the whole christian scenario rather than upset them about my new - found unbelief. I saw my friend again this past weekend and she again tried to throw the A-H teachings at me on a constant basis. I listened politely and even tried to be open but it just didn't sit right with me anymore than my discoveries of the bizarre beliefs of christianity do. In fact, the whole idea of channeling departed 'wise spirits" as a means of truth and beliefs to live by seemed on the same level as people 'prophesying' in God's name at many services I have been in over the years. Even then I was skeptical that God was speaking thru these people -- this positive thinking message etc of the A-H teaching reminds me again of the 'prosperity gospel' and positive confession crap that I was also into many years ago. I think we can learn and glean some good principles from just about any religion or philosophy but not follow it to the letter. I just don't know how to tell her and even warn her of the danger she is getting into with this. She was once a free-thinking atheist type and VERY against organized religion. She doesn't see this as a religion but it certainly is!!

Does anyone have experience with this 'cult' or have any insights to offer on how I'd approach her on this and let her know I'm not interested?

Positive thinking is great, but the Law of Attraction is a superstitious bullshit mind-fuck. It's basically a religion.

http://www.squidoo.com/ten-reasons-i-no-longer-trust-esther-hicks-and-abraham

Wow. People not only fall for this phony-mystical-blame-the-victim shite but think it's a healthy substitute for Christianity? Scary!

Journey, I do have some experience with "law of attraction" folks, though not Abraham-Hicks in particular. And my experience says that they're going to continue to follow it no matter what you say or what evidence you present. Only a hard real-life reality check is likely to shake their belief -- and at that point they're very likely simply to move on to another cult.

I think all you can do, no matter how hard it is, is to say, "I've looked into it and I'm not interested."

Maybe you could say, "I've looked into it and I consider it a dangerous cult." But I'm not sure that would do any good.

• Super Moderator

Woo is woo. "Channeling" a god, a dead relative or Indian guide or other discarnate "spirit" is an attempt to legitimize someone's flights of imagination and guesses as to the unknown. I think sometimes it may be unconscious rather than deliberate attempts to fool the gullible.

Thanks everyone -- I'm sure she wouldn't be convinced of it being superstitious mumbo jumbo anymore than I did when I was into the christian beliefs. Probably best if I just let her know that it's not for me and leave it at that.