Goodbye Jesus

Something That Keeps Bothering Me...

suzie

Like many others have said, including Ourborous, we have had cycles of flux within many religions. Technically, I would think that the 1890s looked like an end times scenario too. When times are good, nobody needs a deity. When times are bad, people see Mary in grilled cheese. This is a bad times, not an end times, scenario in our world right now.

Fun fact: in the middle of the American Great Awakening (a huge revivalist movement in the first half of the 19th Century) William Miller and Samuel Snow predicted that Jesus would return to Earth on October 20, 1844. This wasn't just a splinter group thing like Heaven's Gate as mentioned above. Thousands of mainstream Christians believed them. Cue property selling, living like there's no tomorrow, and lots of ainxiety about the End of Days. October 20th came and went, and nothing happened at all. This Great Disappointment was far from the only end time prophesy that failed to pan out. My money says you're fine. (Note also that the scientifically accepted dates - Sun goes Red Giant, heat death of Universe - are so far in the future as to be more than life on Earth's total history to date away.) Oh, and that only counts Christian end times predictions, not stuff like the Aztec belief that if they stopped human sacrifices, the sun would go out.

Now, were all these people stupid for believing this? No. They were just following what they had ben acculturated and raised from birth to believe. As silentknight pointed out, it takes real courage to challenge beliefs. And you have. It's perfectly okay to feel scared, upset, or nervous about it. A classic book about religious prophesy and failure is When Prophesy Fails. It's a study of a UFO-worshipping cult that was totally convinced that the aliens would pick them up in a field on a certain date at a certain time... and the aliens failed to show. It's old (vintage 1950s), but a good read. (I could find only links to Amazon or Google Books, but here's an article that references the book with regards to the 2011 end times prediction.) You are smart, and you are courageous, to ask questions and challenge religion. Real courage means going forward, even if you're afraid. Fearlessness isn't the same.

Just wait til everybody gets raptured away. Now THAT I wanna see.

Just wait til everybody gets raptured away. Now THAT I wanna see.

I can't fucking wait. Average quality of company will be so, so much better.

We won't have to worry about those fuckers pestering us about their imaginary friend anymore.

Too bad it isn't true