Goodbye Jesus

Religious Discrimination?

Lilith666

A teenager is suing Burger King after they fired her for wearing a skirt at work. She is a Pentacostal Xian; they believe women should wear only skirts. According to her, BK originally told her the skirt was fine, but then told her not to wear it. Is this religious discrimination?

http://www.inquisitr.com/311836/religious-teen-sues-burger-king-over-uniform/

I think it's stupid to care so much about not wearing pants. Plenty of pants are made specifically for women, to accommodate them. What could be wrong with wearing those? Well, fundies will be fundies.

I can't imagine any reason to not let people wear the clothing that makes them feel most comfortable, as long as it fits within basic standards of acceptability.

My guess is that skirts don't cover skin as well as pants do and perhaps it was from a safety standpoint? Now if she was wearing a hijab and wasn't allowed to do that then I could see it as discrimination...

Fuck that. The uniform is part of the job -- if she WON'T wear the uniform, she shouldn't get the job.

Depends if she was just a till jockey or on food prep. I can see even long skirts being a potential safety hazard in a commercial kitchen. You couldn't even wear a hijab back there, unless it was a close-fitting one (I've been in commercial kitchens, blousey clothes don't work). One could expect the same if someone insisted they had to wear sandals, it's a liability and safety/health hazard, especially around food. You can't even make up wavers for it, because what if you bleed all over the food?

If she's a pente woman, what's she doing out of the house anyway? Shouldn't she be making babies or something?

If what she said is true about the interviewer saying that skirts would be OK, then I would say that at least I agree that the interviewer should not have misled her. However, without knowing any more details about the case, I personally doubt that this is really a case of religious discrimination.

Fuck that. The uniform is part of the job -- if she WON'T wear the uniform, she shouldn't get the job.

It would be one thing if they had told her she had to wear pants, and then she wore a skirt anyway. But they told her in the job interview she could wear a skirt.

It would be one thing if they had told her she had to wear pants, and then she wore a skirt anyway. But they told her in the job interview she could wear a skirt.

This was my thought as well. Even though I think the premise is ridiculous, I am still siding with the girl on this one. BK dicked her over.

I don't care what she was "told", the fact is that pants are required for safety reasons. If she "can't" wear pants, she can't do the job.

There seems to be something out of whack here. From what I understand, Pentecostal women are not supposed to cut their hair and have to wear dresses that cover them from the neck to the wrists to their ankles. I wonder if the interviewer went something like this:

Girl - asked about how she was currently dressed, implying, without saying directly, that this is how she wants to dress for work

interviewer - Knowing that their company has a uniform, does not realize that she is asking about working in her current style of dress says "You look ok"

Girl - interprets that what she is wearing will be ok to wear to work.