Goodbye Jesus

Meditation, For The Love Of It. For Life.

Antlerman

now.jpg

Exactly.... :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Antlerman

• asanerman

• VacuumFlux

• stryper

Tried this morning at 7 AM and it didn't really work out... noises in the apartment above, cats scrambling around, me half-asleep anyway... Heh, maybe to try this I will need to get outside somewhere. > <

Tried this morning at 7 AM and it didn't really work out... noises in the apartment above, cats scrambling around, me half-asleep anyway... Heh, maybe to try this I will need to get outside somewhere. > <

A couple tricks. First have a cup of tea first to help clear the cobwebs of the mind from sleep. You need to be awake to meditate (although I did while I was asleep last night - first time, and hard to explain - it's being that Witness aware of sleep states, interesting experience). Cats? Noise? Yes, those can be a problem. You might wish to try some good meditative music that allows you to focus, or unfocus rather, the mind into it. Depends on how noisy things are. I often use some mantras set to music as aides. Works very well. I highly recommend Deva Premal. Here's one I have I use often: Link

A couple tricks. First have a cup of tea first to help clear the cobwebs of the mind from sleep. You need to be awake to meditate (although I did while I was asleep last night - first time, and hard to explain - it's being that Witness aware of sleep states, interesting experience). Cats? Noise? Yes, those can be a problem. You might wish to try some good meditative music that allows you to focus, or unfocus rather, the mind into it. Depends on how noisy things are. I often use some mantras set to music as aides. Works very well. I highly recommend Deva Premal. Here's one I have I use often: Link

A few years back a fiend of mine suggested that I use the everyday noises of my environment as meditative music. She caught my analytical, critical, judgmental brain completely off guard with that suggestion!

Along with that suggestion she ask, "what is it about the mundane common noisiness of your environment that you allow 'its' distraction? What excuses are you looking for that dis-ease you?"

Of course it takes a little training of the mind to learn this technique! My friend lived near a railroad crossing, and near enough to a dog breeder that her environment was rarely without distraction.

One of the playful things about meditation is 'tasting' the freedom of working with what I have.

I'll use the words of Sam Keen to unwrap what I mean.

As I refuse to be an exile, a victim, an alien in a strange land and come to inhabit the here and now,

I discover myself as a responsible agent. My mythological past is destroyed, my censors relax....

My ancient gods become mortals. My temples are converted into museums, my authorities into guideposts,

my models into companions, my gurus into friends. As I recognize my
complicity
in the decisions which have

given shape to my life, I cease to view myself as a victim of my history, as a fated product of my environment.

~from
To A Dancing God
, (New York: Harper & Row Publishers, 1970), p. 33.

As I read that quote I can hear the words ringing in my ear, "Free at last, Free at last!"

Reading has always been a deep and spiritual meditation for me, where the worship of the gods is replaced by sacred reverence for human dignity --where the Wondrous Already breaks "through to the Already."

Heh, maybe to try this I will need ......

Maybe?