Pleasantly Surprised...for Once

Weetie

So I'm sitting at a bench in a virtually empty dog park in Polk County, Florida (those of you who are familiar with this part of the country will appreciate the significance of what I'm about to tell you). There's a family - parents with a couple of 8-year oldish kids - at a nearby table, and I'm eavesdropping on their conversation. The father is explaining to the kids about: plate tectonics, the age of the Earth, dinosaurs, galaxies, the solar system, and radiation. Everything he's saying is spot-on correct, and clearly and consicely expressed. And they're interested in what he's saying.

For those of you unfamiliar with Polk County, this is as shocking and out of place as sitting in a quad at Oxford University and hearing some guy teaching creationism to his kids and explaining how Satan created fossils to deceive the unbelievers.

I'm thinking of going over there and shaking his hand.

• Like 1

Congratulate him if you get the chance. It sounds like working brains are rare in Polk County.

Do parents actually tell their kids that Satan created fossils?

How refreshing!! Science is so awesome! I hope the kids get a charge out of it all. Maybe the parents will pass on a love of science to their children.

Hopefully those kids will turn out better than the others in Polk county. They can still be corrupted by the large numbers of funddies there.

Congratulate him if you get the chance. It sounds like working brains are rare in Polk County.

Do parents actually tell their kids that Satan created fossils?

I actually HAVE heard that explanation used. He also sneaks into young men's bedrooms and hides playboys under their mattresses.

I was always told god planted the fossils because he made the earth with an age - he didn't make babies, he made 2 adults, so why not fossils?

Anyway, it's good to hear of a parent teaching the truth.