Goodbye Jesus

Hell? Nah... I'm Going To Leavenworth!

Jose

So, I was discussing politics with someone today.

TOTALLY not talking religion at all. We were talking about the major differences between what I refer to as a Real Republican™ and the NeoCon Nutjobs that have hijacked what used to be a party full of good ideas.

I was trying to explain that it is possible to be both a fiscal conservative and a Libertarian at the same time. One has to do with economic policy and one has to do with personal liberties, blah, blah, fucking blah, but it's possible to identify as a Republican without toeing the party line of legislating fundamentalist christianity, since religion isn't one of the markers of a political party in the first place.

So this guy asks me, "Are you a muslim then? Like a pagan or something?"

I respond truthfully, "No, actually I'm an atheist."

I get this way-too-loud response, verbatim, "NO WONDER YOU DON'T AGREE WITH EITHER BIG PARTY! YOU'RE A TRAITOR!"

I'm like, "Excuse me?"

He says, "Marco Rubio was talking about YOU!" and then walked away.

angrydog.jpg

I thought the "Atheists are Traitors" thing went out with McCarthyism. Guess I was wrong, huh?

That asshole got that idea from George Bush, sr. who claimed atheists were not real Amerikans. I would have asked him how much time HE spent in the military and if not what makes him think HE's and American?

Sigh...

What a jerk. I would have reminded him about freedom of religion, and many of the fore fathers not being christians.

Wow. This is someone's brain on Fox News. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Straight out of a cartoon. If it weren't for this site I might have doubted your story. But walking caricatures like that actually exist, unfortunately. I sure hope he's not a coworker or someone you'll have to continue dealing with?

"Are you a muslim then? Like a pagan or something?"

Fucking. Hell.

Straight out of a cartoon. If it weren't for this site I might have doubted your story. But walking caricatures like that actually exist, unfortunately. I sure hope he's not a coworker or someone you'll have to continue dealing with?

"Are you a muslim then? Like a pagan or something?"

Fucking. Hell.

"No, actually I think the way our non-xian founding fathers thought."

"No, actually I think the way our non-xian founding fathers thought."

But my pastor says that all of our Founding Fathers were Christians. That was why they founded this country. They wanted it to be a Christian Nation. It says so right there in the Constitution somewhere. Ask my pastor. He would know where. He has read the Constitution and everything. silverpenny013Hmmm.gif

Yeah, he is a coworker, but from another department, so I don't have to deal with him, but I enjoyed talking to him on breaks.

Well... until a few days ago.

We haven't spoken since then. If I walk outside to smoke, he goes back in. I've heard from several other people that he has been trying to "expose" my atheism to the office at large, but no one gives a shit since most people have known since 2002 and the ones that didn't know about my deconversion probably responded, "Who?"

It's funny, because if you know anything about cult-deconversion from a christian perspective, you know that they'll say, "When you come out, come out SCREAMING!" meaning that once you leave the cult, you should tell everyone you know about the cult and why you left, either so the cult members won't extract vengeance or so that you won't be tempted to go back.

When I left christianity, I definitely came out screaming.

Thanks, whackjobs... I did actually learn something useful from your ranting about, "satanist cults."

• Like 3

I would argue that nowadays this guy IS a real republican. The GOP ain't what it used to be. You may Like Ike, but he's never coming back. These days Rick Perry is more representative of the party.

• Like 1

We haven't spoken since then. If I walk outside to smoke, he goes back in. I've heard from several other people that he has been trying to "expose" my atheism to the office at large,

This is one of the perks of living abroad. It's inconceivable that anyone would even care enough that you were an atheist to even consider talking about it amongst others. It's also fairly regional I think. I can't imagine anyone in Idaho pulling something like this. I suppose it could happen theoretically, but the person doing it would be the one considered the whack job. Try it in DC and you'll probably find yourself getting a visit from HR.

I would argue that nowadays this guy IS a real republican. The GOP ain't what it used to be. You may Like Ike, but he's never coming back. These days Rick Perry is more representative of the party.

I agree wholeheartedly. I think the shift started around Reagan, with the Moral Majority thing. It's about social power, and the Social Conservatives exist as a political force purely to protect their political interest: "shared Christian Values." *gag* There's a lot of smoke and mirrors, but I hear tell of a mythical time before then when people actually voted based on what they expected policy decisions to be. What a concept. This whole situation's toxic.

Well, I can make a good guess at what Social Conservatives would do with policy, and, as a female atheist, I don't like it at all...

Marco Rubio is a Republican senator who said this at the RNC, "We are special because we’ve been united not by a common race or ethnicity. We’re bound together by common values. That family is the most important institution in society. That almighty God is the source of all we have.

…Our national motto is “In God we Trust,” reminding us that faith in our Creator is the most important American value of all."

I just don't get how smug and happy they can be about excluding millions of Americans. As an atheist serviceman I feel insulted by talk like that.

You know, you're absolutely right about coming out screaming. That's useful advice for anybody leaving something or someone abusive. Had I done that when I dumped my preacher-husband Evil Ex, nobody would have been taken in by his pitiful mewling about how eeeeeeevilllllll he claimed I was. All sorts of people thought poorly of me for leaving such a wonderful, forgiving, loving man... until I mentioned why. I'd wanted to keep things civil and not air dirty laundry, but in the end, that's what it took for people to stop trying to talk me into going back to a guy who'd threatened to chop me up with a butcher knife if I ever left him. Don't expect fundie controller types to take being dumped like adults, whether it's in love or in religion. Where were you 20 years ago when I deconverted and dumped that asshole?

Sorry, I was still a believer then. I would have told you to stick it out. Marriage is a sacred institution. What God has joined, blah, blah, fucking blah... GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif