The Miracles Of Christ, And How We've Surpassed Them

Citsonga

I wasn't sure which forum would be best for this topic, but since science and technology is involved in most of the points, I decided to put it here.

I just browsed a little bit on the Skeptic's Annotated Bible discussion board and came across this well-crafted "article" (as it could be called) by user Xenolan, consisting of 10 posts (the lead post and replies numbered 1-9). I don't think I've ever linked to another message board before, but I thought this was worth it.

Enjoy!

The Miracles of Christ, and how we've surpassed them

http://sabdiscussion...em#.UElPmpY8HKs

• Like 1

I'm glad someone did this. It's understandable that his 'miracles' would impress crowds that predate the crowds impressed by snake oil and magic elixirs, but today's response to them would be to note just how quaint they are compared to how far we have come as a human race using our brains instead of magic.

It kinda brings this to mind:

John 14:12

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and
greater works than these shall he do;
because I go unto my Father.

Of course, as can be seen from the article, in reality belief in Jesus isn't required to do greater things than he allegedly did.

Hell, one of the biggest discoveries, miracles aside, is germ theory and the necessity of asepsis and handwashing.

That alone has saved billions of lives.

Hell, one of the biggest discoveries, miracles aside, is germ theory and the necessity of asepsis and handwashing.

That alone has saved billions of lives.

Ha! And Jesus being god, withholding this information. That makes him a dick.

• Like 1

It has occurred to me that if any of us went back in time with a cell phone or a car, we would be treated as Gods. Why? Because our knowledge would be greater. IMHO, that is part of the reason humans invented Gods. We all need to believe something is smarter than us.

As we move forward, we have less and less need for a God to blame or praise for stuff.

• Like 1

So much for Jesus being such a paragon of virtue. That writer nailed it on the head. It blows my mind when I see non-believers parroting the idea that Jesus was such a "good person." He was no such thing. He did parlor tricks, encouraged people to abandon their families, and lied to the authorities. That fig tree cursing thing bothered me a lot when I was fundie, too. It was out of season. It wasn't supposed to be bearing fruit. So why didn't he understand that when he cursed it? It was like him sending people to hell for being exactly what he made them. To me, that's evil, not good.

Great series--thanks for finding it and linking it up!

Indeed. Jesus does some parlor tricks, and shows ignorance of actual facts, and that somehow makes him the infallible, unsinning son of God. What?

Even using the bible as evidence, there's nothing there to say he told the truth. Once again, in my mind, CS Lewis' quote works against.. My bet would be on liar or lunatic.