Goodbye Jesus

Anyone Else Feeling A Rash Of Christian Militant Fundamentalists?

Antari

I wonder if I give off a hostile vibe or something. I gave up religion / faith / god / and all things supernatural in 1978 and not once has anyone every tried to talk chirstian to me.Wendyshrug.gif

I would love to know your secret. I sometimes feel as if I'm a magnet for the evangelizers. I've been told that maybe, just perhaps, this phenomenon is actually jesus calling me back...Wendytwitch.gif

I wonder if I give off a hostile vibe or something. I gave up religion / faith / god / and all things supernatural in 1978 and not once has anyone every tried to talk chirstian to me.Wendyshrug.gif

I would love to know your secret. I sometimes feel as if I'm a magnet for the evangelizers. I've been told that maybe, just perhaps, this phenomenon is actually jesus calling me back...Wendytwitch.gif

Jesus calling you back. Yeah, I'm another "proselytizer magnet" and I've heard that one, too.

My favorite one, though, is a dialog:

"God is sending us to talk to you."

"But Christians keep making completely illogical arguments that I've heard hundreds of times already."

"Then that means that those are the arguments God most wants you to hear and believe."

ARRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Christians always say atheists are angry, bitter people.

I really think it's because gets angry and bitter around those Christians who keep repeating the same arguments ad nausiem

I really think it's because gets angry and bitter around those Christians who keep repeating the same arguments ad nausiem

Yes, in the exact same way that someone might get the idea that animals hate people because of watching a lot of Crocodile Hunter-type programs. ;)

I have been told that too! My response was "No, I get angry when I go to work and I am preached at. If I wanted to discuss religion I would go to church. I went to work today, yet I feel like I am in church..."

I left that job shortly thereafter, because they just wouldn't stop, and started booking me only with overtly christian groups.

I think that as the economic situation in the USA gets worse, you will see a lot more of this sort of reality-denying behavior.

My old mum used to be a fairly rational and interesting person. After economic things kept getting worse and worse, she now acts like a god-bot and I can't even have a 2 minute conversation about anything besides religion before she starts in with the prayers, angels, blessings and halle-fukin-lujahs.

DING!

In the town I live in, there were very few poor and very few rich 30 yrs ago. A large amount of the working population worked in the steel mills. Now the area is pretty high on the poverty level (in the local middle school, 60 percent of the students qualify for free lunches). The population is also half of what is was 30 yrs ago, but the amount of churches has doubled.

I really think that as American society gets more and more unequal, with more polarization of income distribution and healthiness, I suspect we're going to see more religious craziness. I'm really starting to see it as a natural outgrowth of a dysfunctional society. The more dysfunctional we get, the worse it's going to get. The Religious Right has no motivation whatsoever to do what Jesus actually said to do and go make society better, because they know damned well that the better off society gets, the less we need their snake oil.

• Like 3

I really think that as American society gets more and more unequal, with more polarization of income distribution and healthiness, I suspect we're going to see more religious craziness. I'm really starting to see it as a natural outgrowth of a dysfunctional society. The more dysfunctional we get, the worse it's going to get. The Religious Right has no motivation whatsoever to do what Jesus actually said to do and go make society better, because they know damned well that the better off society gets, the less we need their snake oil.

You see tons of fundy churches pop up in 3rd world countries. You do not see them popping up in highly affluent countries.

I believe there have been studies done on this.

Y'all might be interested in taking a look at Eric Hoffer's The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements. Matter of fact, it might be worth a thread of its own (if there isn't one already).

Y'all might be interested in taking a look at Eric Hoffer's The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements. Matter of fact, it might be worth a thread of its own (if there isn't one already).

For those interested, I've started a thread on this book over here.