Goodbye Jesus

Have You Ran Across This Kind Of "tract Witnessing" Lately?

Sheldon

When we had a business meeting to choose which tracts to have printed and put our name on, the pastor had a list of testimonials from the company that sold us the tracts.

Ah, I see. I thought from your earlier post that you had personally heard testimonials about people getting saved because of that tract, but I see now that you were only getting those testimonials secondhand or thirdhand. That makes a lot more sense now.

its all hearsay just like everything else in church and the bible.

White Wolf games announced the impending release of Demon: the Fallen with fake Chick-style tracts that they passed out at gaming conventions months in advance where the preacher was evil and the demon was the most reasonable of all the characters.

Great stuff. I wish I had kept the one I had.

OH MY GOD I was at DragonCon that year and got one of those tracts!!! It was fucking RAD!!! EEEEEEEEE! Forgot all about that. It was a huge scandal in Atlanta. I knew a shitload of WW guys from the various gaming groups I was in--they were great folks. You wouldn't believe how many emails the Mage guys got from people who wanted to learn the real magiycke or whatever. They had such cool stories to tell.

Think I left the tract with my BF when we broke up and I moved up north though. Dang.

I was writing for Griffon Magazine back then, I featured the tract (and eventually the game) with a few different articles.

Hell, I still play OWoD. Fuck the new stuff.

I LIKE DEVELOPERS WITH DOTS IN THEIR NAMES!!! GIVE US BACK REIN●HAGEN YOU BASTARDS!!!

I don't like NWoD either. I'd run Changeling 2nd Ed any day if I could just find a good group. Whatever happened to Rein*Hagen? He's the one who told me about the emails from crazy people, among a couple others, one night over at the War Room. I'm suddenly missing the gaming crowd like burning, but the one decent gaming store I know of in town here just doesn't compare. That said, I did run across John Vick (7th Sea) online; he's now writing movie reviews. Apparently he's out of gaming. So sad.

I hear Chick freaked out over that tract--no real surprise there--but they can't copyright mini-books, I don't think, and it was clearly a parody. Even so, I know that similar parodies got the Chick lawyers sicced on them bigtime. I can't imagine they took that laying down.

WWJD? Apparently drag parodies into copyright court.

I loved finding Chick tracts at random places around town (very common in AL). It was like a little surprise humor reading. And I'd never put them back, because they're just too fucking hilarious, and I liked throwing a monkey wrench into their plan.

They're just SO STUPID.

And finding one with the LDS church site written on it? I thought Chick hated Mormons. Not as much as Catholics, but, ya know. :P

My Fundie preacher dad used to make 'gospel bombs'. He'd roll up a tract, cover it with red celophane and then toss it out of our car windows at pasers by. Today, he'd get arrested. .