Goodbye Jesus

Woo!

stryper

maybe you're not supposed to view them as a limitation

I am not sure I understand what you mean.

Why do you view those thngs as limitations?

What I have found is that the preliminary practices of Tibetan Buddhism consist of nothing else than repetition. Repeat chants, repeat prayers, repeat actions, such as prostrations, thousands of times. Then it is on to observing ceremonies on certain dates.

I don't think I need to do this. Its not arrogance that leads me to say it, I just can't see how doing these things lead logically to the result, which is liberation. Its like putting yourself in shackles in order to get free! Otherwise, on an aesthetic level, and from point of view of making sense of the world, I am completely on board with Tibetan Buddhism, especially the Madhyamika school. I am enthralled by reading things like The Heart Sutra and The Diamond Sutra. This is the heart of Buddhism. If a person can deeply understand these texts, then what else is there to do?!

Perhaps these practices arose in a culture where the population was largely illiterate, without access to the resources a modern person has.

I don't feel like I should limit myself at all. If I see that there is a self-realized master in another tradition, such as Nisargadatta Maharaj, a Hindu, or even no tradition at all, I am going to learn as much from him/her as I can.

A true master who knows who they are is not overly concerned by the events of this life or by death.

Maybe "limitation" wasn't quite the right word. Let me think about this, Noggy.

To the Antlerman, Deva and ASanerMan...

http://www.ex-christ...ay/#entry819404

Please see message #19.

I have not forgotten or neglected what we've discussed here. New thoughts and insights have been forthcoming in the interim. I also have further questions. So, please maintain a holding pattern and I WILL return...

...just like MacArthur!

With gratitude and appreciation. smile.png

BAA

Take your time dude. Whenever you're ready to ask, I'll have stuff to say. ;)

If I may interject a few things here.

1. Please tell me in plain, unemotive language why you think inner knowledge is a good thing.

Why does one seek any kind of knowledge? I think it is to settle an innate curiosity as well as an attempt to better humanity. I see little difference between the scientist and the seeker of wisdom. Both seek to unravel the fabric of reality but they have different foci and different tools.

The scientist and the seeker of wisdom both begin with the question "what is this and how does it work?" Where we split is in the nature of further questioning based on observation. The scientist examines reality through a physical line of questioning and uses tools such as mathematics. The seeker of wisdom examines the world from an existential perspective and uses tools such as contemplation or meditation.

I don't think there is any such thing that can be called "inner knowledge". It's all just knowledge and it's all important. Some people are geared toward unraveling the workings of a black hole, others are skillful at unraveling the fiction called Self.

Why is it that ASM quotes Ken Wilber, Deva links to Nisagadatta Maharaj and the A-man to Sally Kempton?

Most often it is just a matter of who has expressed what I think, or what I have seen far better than I can. However, if you look deeply into the web of who is cited there are common strains.

For example, Saner and Antler have both cited Ken Wilber. Wilber studies vedanta teachings as does Deva. Wilber, if I recall correctly, also associates with a Zen teacher named Bernie Glassman. I study Zen. Deva and I are both influenced by the ideas of Bruce Lee. Lee studied Zen, Taoism and Krishnamurti.

If all ways are equally valid, why would you recommend one over another?

Familiarity with how ideas are presented. Which suggestion carries more weight: the idea that I am familiar with and can discuss or the idea that I have no knowledge of?

This explains why I'm proceeding v-e-r-y carefully in this thread and why I won't just jump in and accept something on face value.

I think the Kalamas Sutta sums it up nicely (paraphrased and emphasis added)

"When you yourselves know:

These things are good

These things are not blamable

These things are not censured by the wise

Undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit

Then enter and abide in them."

Ditto. Now that I can't plus one you anymore, I'll just have to do this. :)

1. Please tell me in plain, unemotive language why you think inner knowledge is a good thing.

I suppose the time comes when one must turn to the expert who, for every moment of every day of their life, has been collecting the data necessary to finally put this question to rest.

That expert is our self.

I'll quote Derek Wolcott,

who has expressed what I think, or what I have seen far better than I can.

The time will come

when, with elation,

you will greet yourself arriving

at your own door, in your own mirror,

and each will smile at the others welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat....

Peel your own image from the mirror.

Feast on your life

~from
Love After Love

For myself, that experience is no something that was given to me by the experts in psychology, nor the great philosophers. That experience does not come from my arguing and choosing between religious views, nor does it come from some statistically supported survey of the opinions of others.

That experience comes as I turn to the one expert who knows what it is like to be me--to live in my own skin. No one else can do that for me--"It's an inside job."

We teach one another how it is that we get distracted and disoriented from that inside work.

Self-realization is an ongoing journey. A home coming, of the sorts; A coming home from a home inwhich we've never left.

As Eliot suggests, An exploration

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time.

Costing not less than everything

~from
Little Gidding V

What I have found is that the preliminary practices of Tibetan Buddhism consist of nothing else than repetition. Repeat chants, repeat prayers, repeat actions, such as prostrations, thousands of times. Then it is on to observing ceremonies on certain dates.

I don't think I need to do this. Its not arrogance that leads me to say it, I just can't see how doing these things lead logically to the result, which is liberation. Its like putting yourself in shackles in order to get free! Otherwise, on an aesthetic level, and from point of view of making sense of the world, I am completely on board with Tibetan Buddhism, especially the Madhyamika school. I am enthralled by reading things like The Heart Sutra and The Diamond Sutra. This is the heart of Buddhism. If a person can deeply understand these texts, then what else is there to do?!

Perhaps these practices arose in a culture where the population was largely illiterate, without access to the resources a modern person has.

I don't feel like I should limit myself at all. If I see that there is a self-realized master in another tradition, such as Nisargadatta Maharaj, a Hindu, or even no tradition at all, I am going to learn as much from him/her as I can.

A true master who knows who they are is not overly concerned by the events of this life or by death.

I have revised my opinion about the practices since I wrote that post, Noggy. Probably all these practices would help me more than I imagine if I did them regularly. Even doing them occasionally I can see the help they have given me. At the time I was seeing them as limiting me probably because the demands on time in my day-to-day life at the time I wrote that were so severe. Also I had the sense that somehow I had come past all of the need for that, which I now don't believe to be true.

I have revised my opinion about the practices since I wrote that post, Noggy. Probably all these practices would help me more than I imagine if I did them regularly. Even doing them occasionally I can see the help they have given me. At the time I was seeing them as limiting me probably because the demands on time in my day-to-day life at the time I wrote that were so severe. Also I had the sense that somehow I had come past all of the need for that, which I now don't believe to be true.

:)

I like Reiki however... don't know how it works, or what it actually is—but it worked for me (plantar fasciitis GONE! to the surprise of my doctor lol)

I've had helpful experiences with Reiki as well. I can't explain what's going on, but it has worked for me in the past as well as for others I've performed it on (I'm a second level practitioner). When I do it, my hands heat up like I've just pulled them out from under an electric blanket. I can also definitely feel energy moving, shifting, and settling with different sensations whenever I practice or have it practiced on me.

There is too much information to post it all here.

So quotes that might be helpful:

Reiki

http://truthloveenergy.com/group/healingcircle/forum/topics/reiki-and-usui-reposted

[Michael Entity] The energy that is used is the basic "life force" of your universe. This life force could be understood through the analogy of a computer screen that allows for a cursor to move through the pixels and light, showing up as itself wherever it is, but literally connected entirely to everything on that screen. "Reiki" then could be said to be that affect that allows for the repair of a pixel, or pixels, bringing light back, so to speak, to areas of the screen that have dimmed or have gone out.

[Michael Entity] In the same way that a piano can be played by any of you, so can Reiki (or energetic healing) be practiced. However, to continue the analogy, in the same way that one can simply peck at the keys, or pound on the keys to make noise, so too can some "healers" generate energy that has no effect, or only brings irritation. And in the same way that one can learn to play a piano beautifully on one's own, through an instructor, or through a hierarchical fee plan, so can healing be learned. The piano and the noise it generates is up to the player, and how that player learns to play is up to the player. It just so happens that "Reiki" has come to be a recognizable system, and for that matter can lend itself as a strong platform for the work that a healer might wish to do.

On healing General

http://truthloveenergy.com/profiles/blog/show?id=803120%3ABlogPost%3A158145&commentId=803120%3AComment%3A158440

[MEntity]: First, True Healers are only facilitators. Ever. It does not tend to be about "power" or "being powerful," and tends to be a matter of igniting an individual's own capacity to heal. This is true even of the most allopathic of healings.

12 steps to healing

http://truthloveenergy.com/profiles/blogs/recovery-from-grief

[MEntity] Recovery is matter of healing, and this would mean enlisting the 12 components necessary for all Healing: Love, Knowledge, Compassion, A Teaching, Appreciation, Nurturing, Laughter, Structure, An Anchor, A Healer, Awareness, and Inspiration.

Basically, healing is always an internal process. A healer is a facilitator to help induce the changes that are needed for true healing. So if the Reiki worked for you then the physical ailment was being caused from something internal that the Reiki practitioner was able to help bring about.

If you read the link under On healing General. Michael states the healer chosen needs to be focused on the healing needed. So, as the example they give, if you slam your hand in the car door you'd need to go to the ER not a psychologist. So look for the healer based on what needs to be healed.

Energy healing is one of those things that seems woo until you understand it. The human mind is capable of some incredible things.

Going back to the top post, it's fun to joke around that aliens are really just humans returned from the future, sterile, in need of bits of us to grow things and possibly procreate themselves. I just made that up, but it's fun to think about.

I do believe the cultivating humans on Earth idea is possible, plausible even. It's a cool idea.

• 3 weeks later...

No woo here. I have tried, but I realized it is just my dopamine leading me astray.