Goodbye Jesus

Hey Folks - How Do You Like Those Rising Gas Prices?

raoul

Gas prices were supposed to start falling with the end of Summer however, because of the latest Middle East shit storm, they're actually going the other way - up.

The oil speculators who influence and control prices, particularly with futures, are doing their usual manipulation games with their various computer program trading platforms to take advantage of the unrest. However, the reason for the crap happening over there is, as you know, because of a viral Youtube video which ridiculed the Islamic religion.

And who, pray tell, produced the video in the first place? Of course - another one of those fucking xtian cult fundamentalists. It seems they have to constantly stir up the pot no matter what the consequences are.

So the next time you have to re-mortgage your house in order to pay for your gas or heating oil, remember to thank that fucking asshole who produced that video....

As long as we keep up our oil addiction by creating cities and infrastructure that demand the use of the automobile, we will be in the same sinking boat.

• Like 1

Raoul, I have SO MUCH reason to be continually furious. I mean it is just so hard to even make ends meet and no one in leadership positions in the country seems to give a damn. No health insurance, no full time job, no this, no that, on and on.. The thing is, what can we do??

Food, gas, housing, insurance, transportation, everything keeps going up while my salary is half what it was two years ago.

I know I am not alone.

Having said all this, I am still glad to be in good health and be alive!

• Super Moderator

Less than half of our oil is imported, and only a fraction of that happens to come from the ME. Speculators know this even if the average American doesn't. General ignorance and apathy on the part of Americans helps keep prices up and the wars going. Any day we decide to we can be free of "dependence" on the ME for oil; it's just not politically expedient.

• Like 3

Oil and all commodity prices are likely going to continue to rise. The Fed just announced QE3 this week and basically said they'll keep it open ended as long as is needed to restore economic growth. This will weaken the dollar relative to commodities priced in dollars. In other words, inflation will occur. Get used to it. It's not manipulation by traders. Contrarily, hopefully it will improve jobs growth, which it's aiming at.

Oil and all commodity prices are likely going to continue to rise. The Fed just announced QE3 this week and basically said they'll keep it open ended as long as is needed to restore economic growth. This will weaken the dollar relative to commodities priced in dollars. In other words, inflation will occur. Get used to it. It's not manipulation by traders. Contrarily, hopefully it will improve jobs growth, which it's aiming at.

I really hate putting stuff out like I just did because there's ALWAYS someone who comes along and tries to dispute something that is a fact. In your case it is regarding what you said about traders not manipulating the prices.

I DID, in fact, use the word 'futures' for a reason in my initial note - that is where the manipulation takes place. This is common knowledge with Wall St. and traders in general. You see, since 1995 I was very active in the stock market up till this year when I threw in the towel after realizing the entire game is rigged against anyone who doesn't have literally tens of millions on up to invest.

The rest of your note isn't of any news since it's only a copy of what the various TV pundits.

If any of the 'higher uppers' truly knew anything about the word, 'compassion'...this world would not be in the mess it's in.

We would have to have a brand new set of 'compassionate rules' about how to help each other on this earth in order for the world to work together. I don't see it happening. 'It is what it is'............

It's really such a sad place. Ya gotta just keep surviving the best way you know how.

Keep your eyes on the nice things.

• Like 1

Raoul, I have SO MUCH reason to be continually furious. I mean it is just so hard to even make ends meet and no one in leadership positions in the country seems to give a damn. No health insurance, no full time job, no this, no that, on and on.. The thing is, what can we do??

Food, gas, housing, insurance, transportation, everything keeps going up while my salary is half what it was two years ago.

I know I am not alone.

Having said all this, I am still glad to be in good health and be alive!

I know Deva, I know - it's been frustrating for the past 10 or more years, just watching things go downhill with no protests or anything going on. As I said somewhere else, when I was being interviewed for a job back in 1995, the company CEO who'd migrated from India and I started talking about the declining middle class in my country - yeah, even under Bubba Clinton the war against the middle class had been going on. Anyway he said, and this is a direct quote, "You know Raoul, in my country (India) if they were doing to the middle class what is being done in your country, there would be blood in the streets".

He asked me if I knew what he was inferring and I said I did. So, that's my inference as well. I can't see how else things will ever be fixed over here with some kind of radical action by the people. I'm not advocating violence but when people begin starving in the streets then maybe something will happen, I dunno.

Glad you got this all figured out Raoul.

Now, now, let's not get snippy and I do NOT have it all figured out. If I did then you would be compelled to fall on your knees and worship me because I'd be a god of some kind. LOL

If any of the 'higher uppers' truly knew anything about the word, 'compassion'...this world would not be in the mess it's in.

We would have to have a brand new set of 'compassionate rules' about how to help each other on this earth in order for the world to work together. I don't see it happening. 'It is what it is'............

It's really such a sad place. Ya gotta just keep surviving the best way you know how.

Keep your eyes on the nice things.

I am (keeping my eyes on nice things) - I'm looking at that Madame Eve pic in your avatar.. LOL
  • Like 1

I really hate putting stuff out like I just did because there's ALWAYS someone who comes along and tries to dispute something that is a fact. In your case it is regarding what you said about traders not manipulating the prices.

Well then I guess it's too bad he's right. You declaring something to be a fact doesn't make it so.

And then there's the whole free speech issue...if something is worthy of mockery then it should be mocked. And Islam is just as ridiculous as christianity.

Well then I guess it's too bad he's right. You declaring something to be a fact doesn't make it so.

And then there's the whole free speech issue...if something is worthy of mockery then it should be mocked. And Islam is just as ridiculous as christianity.

http://useconomy.about.com/od/commoditiesmarketfaq/f/oil_prices.htm

I won't bother wasting my time trying to show you something that is a fact regardless of what you may think. And my original post has nothing to do with Islam per se. It had to do with a cultist opening up his fucking mouth and cause another mess. Now, go check out that site, among many. I'll expect an apology. Oh dear, I forgot whom I'm dealing with here - never mind. But check the one site out then come back and naturally trash the source. But as I said before, I was involved in trading stocks for over 15 years and know a little about alogorithmic trading platforms among other things. But I'm sure you'll have an answer about this as well. LOL

The fact of the matter is it's a fossil fuel. For anyone who missed 1st grade science I'll tell you that means what's made is made and we're not getting any more. It doesn't matter how much some people try to say we have, the supply is getting ever smaller, hence the price ever greater.

Kunstler: Geography of Nowhere

On the current happy motoring, cheap oil fiesta, sub and exurban built infrastructure of the USA:

"The greatest misallocation of resources in the history of the world"

• Like 2

Boy, I sure do love those rising gas prices! Yeah! *sarcasm intended*

The fact of the matter is it's a fossil fuel. For anyone who missed 1st grade science I'll tell you that means what's made is made and we're not getting any more. It doesn't matter how much some people try to say we have, the supply is getting ever smaller, hence the price ever greater.

While I do not dispute the dwindling supplies premise posited by you, my gripe is with the way the prices flucuate always on the up side. And there are still untapped areas which suggest supplies much more available than what we're told by oil companies' PR people.

Quite simply - the supply vs demand is skewed and that's my gripe.

Sorry I didn't realize this was in R&R. Rant of brother!!

Apologies not needed. And, on an off topic note, I went and read your testimony. It's a classic because it shows how intent you were in trying to study, objectively, the bible. Your views about the OT are right on!

I'm currently working on a book and would like to use some of your comments from the testimony. I'll cite your name from here as a source. Please let me know if this is okay.

Apologies not needed. And, on an off topic note, I went and read your testimony. It's a classic because it shows how intent you were in trying to study, objectively, the bible. Your views about the OT are right on!

I'm currently working on a book and would like to use some of your comments from the testimony. I'll cite your name from here as a source. Please let me know if this is okay.

Sure, that's fine.

Gas prices were supposed to start falling with the end of Summer however, because of the latest Middle East shit storm, they're actually going the other way - up.

The oil speculators who influence and control prices, particularly with futures, are doing their usual manipulation games with their various computer program trading platforms to take advantage of the unrest. However, the reason for the crap happening over there is, as you know, because of a viral Youtube video which ridiculed the Islamic religion.

And who, pray tell, produced the video in the first place? Of course - another one of those fucking xtian cult fundamentalists. It seems they have to constantly stir up the pot no matter what the consequences are.

So the next time you have to re-mortgage your house in order to pay for your gas or heating oil, remember to thank that fucking asshole who produced that video....

Well, you're right in that speculation and current events affect commodity prices, but I just can't get behind the idea of hating some Christian extremist for making a video. I wouldn't have made it, but the right to free speech must remain absolute regardless of its consequences. What are you suggesting, that we should forbid the creation of art that we feel will have adverse consequences? How do we even go about categorizing such things? Are they just limited to the works with consequences that affect you personally? If that's the case, how do you think bullies feel about the guy who made Kony 2012?

I'm not defending the views of this individual, but I support his right to say whatever he wants. If his work has a global effect (which I think you're exaggerating to some degree without being entirely wrong), then good for him. Such is the nature and often the ambition of art.

If his video is factually inaccurate, pandering, or stupid, then let's call it out as such. It's just a little unproductive to place blame where we know full well we cannot act on it. The consequences of a work or publication are not necessarily indicative of the actual intent of its creator (like the Bible, for example), and we should look at the content of this video and evaluate it according to what we know to be true, not according to what we speculate about the intent behind or the consequences of it.

Also, this video exemplifies only one of many problems in the ME that happen to influence our lives on a daily basis, and its effects will pass in short order. The media loves a good crisis precisely because it gets you riled up and captures your attention, which makes them money. Next month, it'll be something else. Save your ire for something long-lasting and devastating; the effects of this video are neither.

If I misunderstood you, feel free to correct me.

I never said anything about 'hating' the guy per se. I merely pointed out how religious extremists, on both sides, do or say things that can cause all kinds of mischief. But thanks for validating my comment regarding speculation/oil prices. I'm still reeling over a couple of people over here actually trying to deny this reality.

I never said anything about 'hating' the guy per se. I merely pointed out how religious extremists, on both sides, do or say things that can cause all kinds of mischief. But thanks for validating my comment regarding speculation/oil prices. I'm still reeling over a couple of people over here actually trying to deny this reality.

Thanks for the clarification and for not biting my head off because I misunderstood and disagreed on a few things here and there, unlike some people on this site.

You're right, it is both obvious and demonstrable that speculation increases the price of some commodities, including oil. Whether or not this is avoidable or altogether bad (in the short term, it is for those of us who use products made of these commodities) is somewhat of an open question.

I rarely even look at gas prices. Doesn't MATTER what it costs- I have to buy it if I'm gonna be employed.

I'm just glad that the wife and I both have fairly fuel-efficient cars. They cost me roughly half of what those monstrous pickups and the like cost to drive. And my own monstrous pickup can just sit in front of the house 95% of the time.

I only put in $15-20 at a time. It doesn't cost me any more but the price determines whether I get 3/4 of a tank or just barely half.

We get less than we think because "gasoline" has an adjunct of at least 10% ethanol these days. Between that and tax you get only 8/10 gallon of real gas for pump price. Besides slowly damaging engines, the gas/ethanol blend adversely affects performance so you have to use even more gas than you would if it were pure! That shit fuel also destroys lawn equipment by corroding the fuel lines...you also have to load it down with Stabil if you want it to be good after 6+ months of storage. Some people go so far as to separate the ethanol from the gasoline and siphon the pure gas off.