Goodbye Jesus

Belief In A God?

openpalm45

I just want to keep this very simple. I'm curious to know how many of you still believe in a god, and maybe a bit about that.

Thanks for your participation. smile.png

Feel free to share any info related to your beliefs/opinions/thoughts.

I do. I believe in lots and lots of gods.

Really. LOTS.

I just have always believed in divine entities, I never even really fully bought that the biblegod was the only one. Monotheism is weird to me, and I can't grok atheism. I guess I'm silly, but there it is. My brain is pagan.

Thanks for your input, Luna. :)

What about you OP? Are you any closer to sorting it out?

Edit:

I think my belief in God was doomed because I imagined God was personally watching out for me, talking to me, telling me what to do and planning out my life. That whole "personal relationship" thing backfired on me in a painful way. But who knows, maybe there are better God/Goddess concepts out there.

Not at all, MM. Usually I think that there probably isn't a god. I can intellectually accept the idea of there being no god and this is all that there is. But deep down, I want there to be a god. I want there to be more meaning to life, love, beauty, kindness, passion, etc. But I can't believe in a god just because I WANT to. So I have been wrestling with this for a while. Im still thinking about it, trying to figure out what I believe. Even though I lean towards atheism, I am open to there being a god, simply because I want more meaning and I dont want to feel empty. I need to feel connected to life, and that is difficult for me. Even being open to the idea of a god makes me feel more connected, and makes me FEEL more. And thats a great thing. But again, I cant believe in something just because I WANT to. Its a tough place to be, but Im not overwhelmed by it. I am more thoughtful/curious. I would like to get to some place where I at least feel comfortable in my beliefs and with life, but I am okay with still asking questions.

Hi Open Palm, I voted "no." After I just couldn't take Christianity's position on gays and lesbians anymore, because I became convinced it was unjust, I noticed many other problems with theism that I had covered up to myself before. Ancient Epicurean philosophy, which holds that the universe (or multiverse, to be more exact) is eternal, stimulated me to think differently about causes, origins, and the sources of joy and love. I'm happy being an atheist although occasionally this little voice whispers "but what if you're wrong and you're going to hell?" Then I think back to the many reasons for why Christianity can't be true (most of them apply to Islam, too, as I understand it).

Hi Open Palm, I voted "no." After I just couldn't take Christianity's position on gays and lesbians anymore, because I became convinced it was unjust, I noticed many other problems with theism that I had covered up to myself before. Ancient Epicurean philosophy, which holds that the universe (or multiverse, to be more exact) is eternal, stimulated me to think differently about causes, origins, and the sources of joy and love. I'm happy being an atheist although occasionally this little voice whispers "but what if you're wrong and you're going to hell?" Then I think back to the many reasons for why Christianity can't be true (most of them apply to Islam, too, as I understand it).

There is no part of me that entertains the idea of Christianity being true. There is too much bullshit, too much I cannot accept morally and logically. So that part is not a problem for me. Also, if it WERE true and god wanted to send me to hell, he is an asshole, because I tried too damn hard to be close to him and to have a relationship with him and got nowhere, and just ended up brokenhearted by him. So I dont worry about that.

I dont wonder if maybe Christianity is true. More so I wonder if there is SOME kind of god out there. Idk what/who.

I think my belief in God was doomed because I imagined God was personally watching out for me, talking to me, telling me what to do and planning out my life. That whole "personal relationship" thing backfired on me in a painful way. But who knows, maybe there are better God/Goddess concepts out there.

Yeah, the "personal relationship" while a nice idea, simply does not work. My mother tells me how god did this and god did that. He brought her to this new city, she met this great guy, found this new home, got this new job. All nice things, right? But when she tells me these things, I just want to ask her about the people who are kidnapped as children, and live in someones basement only to be tortured and live as a sex slave their whole life. Was god too busy finding people like my mom a house? Its absurd. And people who live with this belief in a personal god (and I am guilty of doing it most of my life) are unknowingly self centered. God is doing THIS in my life. God is showing me THAT. God is teaching me THIS. God put me through THIS trial to strengthen me. It sounds great. It can even help you have a positive attitude. But what about people who are dying, starving, being raped, tortured, beaten? People who arent given a fair chance in this world. When I think about it in those terms, I cannot believe in a personal god who keeps it from raining on a big day, or helps someone do well on a test or meet the right guy or find the right job.

• Like 1

In the last 1.5 years I've learned more about 'real' science and the natural processes of our planet and the universe than the combined sum of my 17 years of formal classroom education. I don't just not believe in gods, I feel I have enough information acrued now to disbelieve in them as well. I guess that's why I don't do much posting in this forum.

Personal God, no, therefore atheist in that sense.

But if God is redefined as reality, universe, all there is, all matter, all consciousness, etc. then yeah, I believe reality and the universe exists

Somewhere between metaphysical naturalist and panentheist.

• Super Moderator

I believe that which has evidence. For me, wishes, hopes, traditions, feelings and "revealed" pronouncements do not constitute evidence.

• Super Moderator

I don't believe in any gods. But if the evidence ever really leads to one, I'd believe. I'm not holding my breath and I live life as if there are no god(s).

Meh.

Its close to what Ouroboros says.

Some people say Buddhism is atheistic, but certain words are used such as "Buddha nature" "tathagatagarba" "dharmakaya", that seem to me to be almost identical with the idea of a panentheistic type of God. So, I think there is room for this type of God in Buddhism. "You" are actually "God", though, so it is almost useless to try to get this across to people mostly steeped in Christianity and only willing to think about things in a very narrow way, including what the word "God" might mean.

I also don't rule out the possibility of polytheism - the existence of local "gods" - very powerful beings (but not omnipotent) associated with and influencing certain geographic areas. I admit my ideas on this arise from strong feelings and not any concrete sort of evidence.

Needless to say, I totally reject a God such as Christianity proposes.

• Like 3

I have both panentheistic and pantheistic leanings. I believe in love, compassion, connectedness.

Deva brings up a good thought, about "local gods" and polytheism. I wouldn't call my gods "local" exactly, since I'm not in Africa and have never been there - but I don't think they're omnipotent. Not like the biblegod is said to be, anyway. Sometimes I might as well think of them that way, because I do believe they are VERY powerful, much more than I can hope to understand, but how the metaphysical cosmology falls out, the gods I believe in can be hurt, can be threatened by Ap-p, the uncreated. This is not the devil in any sense, no one goes blaming their naughty behavior on Ap-p, because it is that which threatens existence. Sorta-kinda like the Nothing in the Neverending Story.

In any case, believing that your gods are omnipotent AND have fought each other is pretty goofy. But I don't believe humans could effectively act against the gods.

I voted "No" since I don't believe that a Being exists that meets the "dictionary definition" or Christian definition of God. I'm not dogmatic about it because a negative can't be proven. For awhile, I considered deism and panentheism, but am becoming more comfortable with pantheism, and sometimes wonder if I've actually finally found my way "home".

I half-heartedly believe in some sort of force, if you will, that somehow endows life with consciousness. This force is entirely natural, but we do not understand it yet or have a name for it. My belief that something like that exists does not affect my daily life in any way. This force could very well be just some very very complex math (all of life is when you get down to it). Or it could be something that is more than the sum of its parts. Either way, it is not something I devote any allegiances to or much spare time. I do enjoy reading about theories of consciousness and current discoveries in neuroscience, and I guess it feels like a spiritual endeavor, but my studies do not entail any woo. smile.png Whatever "it" is is obviously NOTHING like any god that any civilization has imagined.

In the very very last stages of my deconversion, panentheism appealed to me (look it up!). In fact, it still does. But I think that is just wishful thinking on my part. I tend to focus my spirituality on self-awareness and constantly improving myself. No other being is required for me to do that.

• Like 1

I sort of honor Saraswati (goddess of Wisdom, music, arts, science etc) but as far as an actual goddess, I'm not sure. I've had woo-ish experiences and I know that I'm connected in a way to the world. Just not sure.

I'll catch up on others thoughts here later but I voted "Other" because it's complex. Yes, I believe in a personal, Absolute God. As a dualistic expression of what I AM. We all are. Understanding, relating to, communing with. reaching towards that Absolute beyond ourselves, is to symbolically experience ourselves. And in so doing, we become ourselves. Our true Self, as the Hindus put it. It is a symbolic process towards Self Realization. All is God, and we are That. How else do we come to accept that except relationally withing our normal dualistic framework toward that Nondual Realization?

Okay, so how many followed that? One hand, maybe two?

I'll catch up on others thoughts here later but I voted "Other" because it's complex. Yes, I believe in a personal, Absolute God. As an expression of what I AM. We all are. Understanding, relating to, communing with. reaching towards that Absolute beyond ourselves, is to symbolically experience ourselves. And in so doing, we become ourselves. Our true Self, as the Hindus put it. It is a symbolic process of Self Realization. All is God, and we are That. How else do we come to accept that except relationally withing our normal dualistic framework toward that Nondual Realization?

Not me, but I really wish that I did!

I'll catch up on others thoughts here later but I voted "Other" because it's complex. Yes, I believe in a personal, Absolute God. As an expression of what I AM. We all are. Understanding, relating to, communing with. reaching towards that Absolute beyond ourselves, is to symbolically experience ourselves. And in so doing, we become ourselves. Our true Self, as the Hindus put it. It is a symbolic process of Self Realization. All is God, and we are That. How else do we come to accept that except relationally withing our normal dualistic framework toward that Nondual Realization?

I'll take the time to explain if you wish, but it'll take a few paragraphs, or more. :)

I'll take the time to explain if you wish, but it'll take a few paragraphs, or more. smile.png

I would love it if you did. :)

I've been waiting for you to chime in, Antlerman. Your initial post sounds pantheistic, but I realize that pantheism will not capture it. I also look forward to your explanation.

I'll catch up on others thoughts here later but I voted "Other" because it's complex. Yes, I believe in a personal, Absolute God. As a dualistic expression of what I AM. We all are. Understanding, relating to, communing with. reaching towards that Absolute beyond ourselves, is to symbolically experience ourselves. And in so doing, we become ourselves. Our true Self, as the Hindus put it. It is a symbolic process towards Self Realization. All is God, and we are That. How else do we come to accept that except relationally withing our normal dualistic framework toward that Nondual Realization?

Are you saying that God is what it means to be human? The last two lines are completely lost on me.