Goodbye Jesus

An American Slave's View Of Christianity (Early 1800S)

Overcame Faith

I have been reading a great book written in the mid-1800s by a then American slave who was born in Maryland and subsequently sold and lived in several other southern states as a slave. The name of the book is, "Fifty Years in Chains; or, The Life of An American Slave." If you are interested, the book is here and is free to read:

http://www.gutenberg...0-h/40760-h.htm

In the first chapter, the author was speaking of his family. Among others, he spoke of his grandfather who had been a warrior in Africa before being captured and sold into Slavery in Maryland. I thought this passage in which the author tells of his grandfather's views of Christianity was quite telling and well worth sharing with all of you.

After the flight of my father, my grandfather was the only person left in Maryland with whom I could claim kindred. He was an old man, nearly eighty years old, he said, and he manifested all the fondness for me that I could expect from one so old. He was feeble, and his master required but little work from him. He always expressed contempt for his fellow-slaves, for when young, he was an African of rank in his native land. He had a small cabin of his own, with half an acre of ground attached to it, which he cultivated on his own account, and from which he drew a large share of his sustenance. He had singular religious notions—never going to meeting or caring for the preachers he could, if he would, occasionally hear. He retained his native traditions respecting the Deity and hereafter. It is not strange that he believed the religion of his oppressors to be the invention of designing men, for the text oftenest quoted in his hearing was, "Servants, be obedient to your masters." (emphasis added by OF)

That is a compelling example of how, at least for the slave holders, Christianity was used on the slaves to help keep them in line. But this old man saw through it all and, just shy of 200 years later, I commend him for his keen insight into that insidious religion called Christianity.

Note to Moderators, the book is in the public domain with no copyright protection so the above quote is quite legal.

• Like 2

I'm definitely going to read that book.

It never ceases to amaze me how people will use the Bible to support whatever viewpoint they have or whatever view they find socially convenient. As a woman I have been brow-beaten for decades.

Such a hateful text, the Bible!

• Like 1

I'm definitely going to read that book.

It never ceases to amaze me how people will use the Bible to support whatever viewpoint they have or whatever view they find socially convenient. As a woman I have been brow-beaten for decades.

Such a hateful text, the Bible!

You won't be disappointed with the book. It's really not about Christianity, but about what life was like for Charles Ball who was born into slavery. It's very detailed about what life was like and parts of it are extremely emotional, like when because a family member is sold to another "master," wives, husbands, and children are separated, not knowing what ever happened to one another.

And I agree completely. The Bible is so often used to justify one thing or the other that is otherwise not justifiable.