Goodbye Jesus

Finally Woke Up- Long Extimony

BDPApostate

I received a book By Bart Ehrman 3-4 years before I deconverted, which I could not finish because it shook my faith too much. 

Although I tried not to think about it, the questions must have been hiding in my subconsciousness because It was the first thing I read after I started to find my own issues in the bible. I think in a way I was primed by that, to a faster deconversion.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Welcome!

Bart Ehrman also helped me. He came to a church nearby and I went to hear him talk. Delightful man. 

His books are quite good and I rally like the NO BS writing of Hitchens, too. 

Yes, the contradictions are so blatant. It's sadly a fairy take people still believe in but they won't forever. No one worships the ancients gods anymore, save a few folks somewhere. No one will worship the new gods either. The mask is off. People are thinking. People are discovering on their own that the stories are recycled. 

It is sad indeed, for those who still believe it. And sadder for the kids who get all confused. I really respect the immense struggle you have in trying to figure out how to handle the children and their belief. I hope that you are able to instill in them a thirst for rational thought and logic. Then they can choose on their own. 

Welcome!

Bart Ehrman also helped me. He came to a church nearby and I went to hear him talk. Delightful man. 

His books are quite good and I rally like the NO BS writing of Hitchens, too. 

Yes, the contradictions are so blatant. It's sadly a fairy take people still believe in but they won't forever. No one worships the ancients gods anymore, save a few folks somewhere. No one will worship the new gods either. The mask is off. People are thinking. People are discovering on their own that the stories are recycled. 

It is sad indeed, for those who still believe it. And sadder for the kids who get all confused. I really respect the immense struggle you have in trying to figure out how to handle the children and their belief. I hope that you are able to instill in them a thirst for rational thought and logic. Then they can choose on their own. 

This is really touchy ground right now for me...

The other day my kids were asking me about a Wizard of Oz Christmas ornament, that had the 4 main characters standing in front of the projected wizard, and behind it, the "real" wizard working the controls. It says a few lines from the movie scene, like"pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

My kids have never seen the movie and asked me about ti, and i was trying to explain the scene to them.

My wife overheard, and actually got upset at me, because she was afraid I would be teaching them to not believe in god in the same way.

Its not my fault that god is so similar to the wizard! zDuivel2.gif

I am walking on eggshells right now, but I continue to try and teach them critical thinking skills and the difference between real and fantasy.

Maybe some time soon my wife will learn to be OK with it.

I think my kids might be a bit younger than yours (4 and 1.5), but I feel like I have to be careful too. My plan is to expose them to as much age-appropriate science stuff as possible and then let them ask the questions.

All of our stories contain a number of similarities and that seems to be true for both our original conversions as well as our later de-conversions. I think we  should all be able to find some level of comfort in that.