Goodbye Jesus

A Farewell To A Culture

Legion

I'm a sap in many ways I think. Even in my everyday mundane dealings with other people I have a childish desire for closure. I believe I would be happier if I finally moved on from ex-C and tried to establish a community of my own.

The culture here is what it is, and it serves the needs of those here. I'd like to briefly explain why I'm going to try something new by picking out four aspects of ex-C culture, paint them with broad brushes, and contrast them with my own preferences.

spirituality - more or less atheist whereas I more or less adhere to practical mysticism

politics - basically Leftwing whereas I don't care for the Left or the Right

science - basically reductionist whereas I am trying to free myself of reductionism and better understand a relational approach to the study of nature

internet socialization - dehumanizing effect because printed communications don't carry things like tone of voice and body language

However, ex-C has helped me in a variety of ways, and there's been some good times here. I hope each of you find contentment and happiness along your journeys.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

The scientifically inclined atheist lefties will duly note the vacuum. In a reductionist way, of course.

I hope things go as well as possible with Mom and you eventually find some like minded peeps to hang with.

The scientifically inclined atheist lefties will duly note the vacuum. In a reductionist way, of course.

I see no drawback to honest expression here. And in a sense, I suspect you're being somewhat honest here yourself Chris. I view you as being among the cultural enforcers here at ex-C. I think you fairly ruthlessly ridicule and stigmatize those who fail to conform. My absence will deprive you of one of your favorite whipping boys. But no doubt, others will follow.

I hope things go as well as possible with Mom and you eventually find some like minded peeps to hang with.

If this is genuine, then thanks.

Best of luck, Legion. Feel free to contact me any time.

One bit of parting advice: Try to be flexible. You have to adapt to the world. The world will not adapt to you.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

I really do wish you and your mom well.

My absence will deprive you of one of your favorite whipping boys.

You'd find it easier and more productive if you dropped this tiresome victim identity. Good luck.

Hope better fortune finds you out there in 'netland amigo... Door is always open.

kevinL

I'll miss you.. hope you find/create what you need.

You've helped me look at things I may not have except for the challenges you brought. Thank you.

Be like a tree Legion, reach for the stars, roots well-grounded and sway with the winds of change. (lot's of wisdom in nature).

beer.gif

If you are serious about moving on, you know I tried. smile.png17.gif

Letting bygones be bygones, you know where to find me.

I wish you only good things in the future, my Liege!

Best wishes, Legion. I believe you recently posted that you thought your mother had only a month or so left in her life?

Hope that things run as smoothly as possible in the future for you. Also hope that you are able to find the best sense of closure re your mum in due course.

Guest Babylonian Dream

If you're going to leave, at least add me to facebook if you haven't already done so! It's the least you could do. :(

Start your own forum? Why? Not enough kowtowing to you here? Legion for a person with your mental makeup the worse thing you can do is wallow in your own meanderings. Take it from a fellow meanderer, you need other people to keep you grounded. People that don't all agree with you. That is just a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

You don't have to leave here suddenly to find new things.

Rank, I may be in touch. But I don't want to fend off your efforts to 'bring me to the dark side'. My inner struggle is already difficult enough. I'm more or less a Jekyll and Hyde, and I'm coming to believe that neither one of them should 'win'. I think they need to be further integrated in some way.

Kevin, I hope I can contact you for intel and tactical info. And I hope your own health is being maintained.

Ravenstar, I told a guy the other day that there are only three kinds of people in the world... sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs. As you battle monsters, please don't become one yourself.

Deva, thank you for preserving the words of the Buddha. I hope you'll also preserve what you have of Rosen. Though I know that his work is difficult and obscure to many people, I believe in time it will be known as revolutionary. I think Buddha saw the forest of dependent arising, and Aristotle saw the trees of entailment. Rosen made more crisp the interconnectedness and paradox of life.

Blue Elephant, she has less than a month now. I can't really foresee what effect her death will have on me. It was the Christmas before last when we realized something was wrong. Between the battle with the cancer, and the ensuing infections I suppose I've had time to acclimate to the idea of her death. But she's always been there. It's really difficult for me to imagine a time that I'd like to speak with her, but be unable to do so.

Ramen, you're a young man, and young men are immortal. But if you knew you would die tomorrow, what would wish you had done with your precious time? Whatever that is, please do that today.

BD, I'd like to PM you and get further contact info if this agrees with you.

Galien, I'm not starting a forum. I plan to gather people in my local area.

Voice, I need to alter my patterns of behavior in a somewhat dramatic way. I can't do the same things and expect different results. I'd like to stay in touch with you too if you wish it. I think you have a very interesting character and mind, and I'd like to better understand you.

I may drop in from time to time guys. Sincerely, I hope you guys do well for yourselves and each other.

I do wish it. I'll want to know what other forums you find. Are you notified when you receive pm's here?

Good luck, Leg!

I think it's great that you're going to try and form a group where you can meet people face to face.  It's very easy to not always get that connection with people that you converse with on the internet.  I think you are right in that you shouldn't dwell on the internet all the time, trying to make friends there.  However, cutting off being on Ex-C completely may not be the kind of balance you're looking for.  You do actually contribute here and give decent advice at times.  

I sincerely hope you find what you are looking for.  

Also, I will miss seeing your cool avatar.

I left ex-C for over a year (despite being a left-wing reductionist atheist). It was really good for me, not because ex-C was bad or didn't serve its purpose - but because I saw the purpose here as being for EX-Christians i.e. people who had a relationship, albeit a negative and broken one, with Christianity, and I was going through a transition to being POST-Christian. I know that may seem like a meaningless distinction for some people, but at the time, I felt like I was starting to wallow in the past.

I felt the same way as you do right now about internet socialization - not that it's bad or that we all aren't real people, but that it's an addition to, not a substitute for, meeting people face to face. I feel that in the past year of relying on making friends in person, I've grown a lot. Now I come here as one part of my social week, rather than in order to cling to human interaction.

• Like 1

Maybe you need a blog?  And a bomb shelter?  And a straight-jacket?  And some electro-shock?  And some ...

mwc