Goodbye Jesus

I am a Christian

Ebony_Fox

I cannot stay for a long time but I'm gonna answer these questions before my mom takes off again.

How do you define the attributes that makes somebody qualify as being Christ-like?

In my own opinion it's if someone is tring to live a life like Jesus did. Jesus never sinned so I wanna try to stop sinning. That is impossible, I know, but I wanna become as sin-less as I can get.

Understandable... but that is known as Pascal's Wager, and has been refuted many times. This kind of reasoning works as long as you assume that there's only two choices: believing or not believing.

Well I guess it is only a two choice desision. Either you believe Jesus was that son of God and accept him as lord or your life, or you do not. You can believe and not accept him also.

But, what if you believe in the christian god because you are afraid of the consequences you mentioned above...and it turns out that, say, the muslim Allah is the true god? You may well be in a world of trouble then...

LOL I guess I would be. I've thought a long time about this...I guess I would just be in a world of shock. I would beg for forgiveness and just except my punishment

Whats your problem. Read your Bible. I'm not even a xtian and I've read the entire KJV Bible. If your going to give your soul to a belief based upon a book don't you think you should at least read that book. Especially if your going to come on to this website. Most of the ex-xtians in here have actually read the whole bible. Thats one reason we're ex-xtians. A xtian who hasn't even read the bible is pretty F*ck*ng pithetic.

I agree I am pathetic! If you all have read the entire Bible and I didn't that doesn't say alot about me. I'm learning more everyday though and thats what makes me feel better everyday. I wanna know more about God, not so much the book.

I'd like to point you to this site for some more information about Asatru (the reconstruction of the ancient faith of those people

I will do that as soon as I get off this forum. Thank You!

You're exactly right that it's stupid. Yet you believe in it. You believe in a religion that dictates all people who do not believe in your god are going to hell, regardless of anything they've ever been or done.

It's completely stupid. The whole 'god is love' idea is a lie. The bible says love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. If god is love there can't be any hell. If there's a hell then god can't be love.

God will judge the people differently, as individuals according to if they knew who he was and still turned his back or if they didn't know. I don't have all of the answers. I'm only me after all and there are alot of things

I don't understand including some of Gods desisions. This is just what I think will happen.

Then you are against war and capital punishment as well?

Yes I am against both of those.

No the verse isn't there for either idea. And that is why you can't find it.

I'm pretty sure it is... I'll find it later. If there really isn't a verse like that then I'm sorry for leading you guys on.

So you want to find out more about god but not so much about his book? Some Xtians belive that the word of god IS god. The Bible has no mistakes in it. Do you belive the bible has no mistakes?

I don't know I haven't read the entire thing through yet. I doubt if it has mistakes if it is Gods word but I don't know for myself yet.

I'll warn you Ebony, the Bible is, quite possibly, the best recruiting tool Ex-C has. A hefty percentage of our members have deconverted after reading the Good Book on their own.

Also, as far as your age... Let me speak from personal experience Ebony. I'm 17 and my ideas are taken very seriously by most members on this board. It's been my privelige to participate and start many discussions on this board and it's predecessors.

So trust me, if a screwball like me can get in, anybody can :) .

Merlin

I don't know I haven't read the entire thing through yet. I doubt if it has mistakes if it is Gods word but I don't know for myself yet.

Ebony,

During the time of King James, he "adjusted" many scriptures according to what would be accepted during that time period.

I am hoping that you decide to study the history of the bible...that will really, truly give you a lot to think over and please try to keep an open mind while you are studying.

Take care! :)

Lisa

I'll warn you Ebony, the Bible is, quite possibly, the best recruiting tool Ex-C has. A hefty percentage of our members have deconverted after reading the Good Book on their own.

Also, as far as  your age... Let me speak from personal experience Ebony. I'm 17 and my ideas are taken very seriously by most members on this board. It's been my privelige  to participate and start many discussions on this board and it's predecessors.

So trust me, if a screwball like me can get in, anybody can :) .

Merlin

LOL! I love your sense of humor Merlin! I read many of your posts (had joined right before the board remodel) and would have never guesses your age being 17!

I truly thought you were much older! (a compliment) :)

Lisa

Edited to add: Sorry for the hi-jack! LOL :P

I'm going to study the history of the bible now just because I'm soo curious. I know Kings James was altered so I don't read it unless I have to.

1 Samuel 3:7 is a verse on accountablity according to something I am reading right now. let me confirm that...

LOL I guess I would be. I've thought a long time about this...I guess I would just be in a world of shock. I would beg for forgiveness and just except my punishment.

Why do you think you deserve punishment from any God, particularly your God?

I'm going to study the history of the bible now just because I'm soo curious. I know Kings James was altered so I don't read it unless I have to.

1 Samuel 3:7 is a verse on accountablity according to something I am reading right now. let me confirm that...

Ebony, see, actually the KJV is the version that the fundies claim IS the only true God inspired and "real" version.

So, if you have seen some alterations already, that gives you a good point to start from in your studies.

Lisa

Also, to me Ebony,

God is not a punishing mean God like the one described in the old testament.

If you really start to read it, you will SEE an unfair God....

Also, the idea that God would require "death" to pay for sins never made sense to me.

If you study the OT, you will also find that God required the killing of "clean" animals for sacrificial purposes.

That makes absolutely no sense either.....that God would "create" these animals and then order them to be killed to account for someone's sins. It also speaks of him enjoying the aroma of this as well. *shudder*

Lisa

sorry I gotta go my friend is yelling about feeling neglected.

Ebony,

I have been a Deist for over 10 years now. Deists do not believe in the deity of the Bible, Qu'ran, Tanakh or any other revealed or defined deity. Deism, in its modern form did predominately grow out of Christian society because of several reasons which I think were unique. (1) The Christian West had undergone several centuries of warefare between various factions of Christianity; (2) The Christian west had suffered to one degree or another, theocratic rule under Catholicism, Calvinism and Puritanism; (3) The enlightenment and the corresponding implementation of printing allowed knowledge of science and the Bible to be widely disseminated; and (4) Greek philosophy and Roman jurisprudence was reintroduced to society which removed jurisdiction of secular law from clerics to secular authorities.

These things came together and the people who developed modern deism analyzed the Bible and discovered the multiple problems of it; they also saw and analyzed the rampant abuses in the religious institutions of religion; and most importantly they realized that reason and science contradicted revelations of the Abrahamic religions. Thus, adopting Aristotle's philosophy of a prime mover (God) that was transcendent, they developed a philosophy (deism) which incorporated belief of a supreme deity while only accepting nature as the only revelation, which can only be understood through the use of reason and science, not mythology or claims of miracles.

//Bruce//

"Most Blacks know what the negative aspects of the bible. in Black history month all our church does is preach about that kinda stuff. But Jesus didn't just die for the Jew. He died for evryone. "

I had to comment on this one. You are right - Jesus didn't just die for himself (himself being "the Jew") he died all Christians - but not everybody. He said himself that God didn't want everyone to be saved he wanted some people to roast. He also made damn sure that people didn't get the idea , and parables were his favorite confuser.

As someone who is both black and Jewish I'd like to smack some sense into you. I would no at all be surprised to hear some of the stupidities your good kindly community has told you about Jews. Isn't that always the way with people? Being spit upon as dirty Jews or lynched as 'rapist' pagan black slaves one day, then not wanting your white daughter to be besmirched by a dirty black man and reveling in the age of overseas and middle american slave made goods while you squabble with the Indians and Latinos over who's going to get the grant money from a white government and cast out the DEMONS of the Ancestors and their ways. Isn't that the way with people...

Also you are young - when I was younger I secretly wished I had white skin and blonde hair and could join a neo-nazi group and wear lots of black clothing and makeup and walk the streets strutting-style like Sarah Polley in "White Lies". I just keep on growing, at least I hope I do, with a good bit of self-pity that has long been my companion.

You might grow too in this way, I'm not sure. I would say you would if you were a little louder and more obnoxious and had a bigger sense of conviction. Whether you'll grow up to be just like us is something that I guess only time will tell.

I am 15 and i'm a atheist but I don't debate much yet. I've read some horrific Bible passages. It was mort in morals..

A prophet calls down a bear on gaggle of children merely because they called Elijah a baldhead, God drowned the world in a flood, God ordered Moses and his robots to kill and destroy and be paedophiles to young virgin girls. What kind of religion tolerate this? Only god and his fundies.

I sincerely hope you realize and make a decsion about this religion. What do you think?

Don't listen to these Hell people anymore, they're bad for your mental Health.

Ebony fox, welcome to EXC! Where the atheist play..

Why do you think you deserve punishment from any God, particularly your God?

I think I deserve to be punished if I got it wrong. If my God was(and I am not saying he is) a phony and the Muslim God was the real deal then I would humbly accept my punishment for being a disobedient daughter. I think we all have a sixth sense that tells us what the truth is. I think though if I were wrong than I was disobeying my conscious.

Sadly most religions are rascist(I say most because I do not know all of the religions) I am Black, my family is Black, and because of that we were treated like dirt at times. We don't speak much of the Jews at our church just out of respect that we do not know all about the Jews as we do about ourselves. I do not like to talk so much on this issue just because I hear about it all of time anyway. How our people were slaves so on and so forth. I hope you guys understand...like my granny says,"if you can afford don't bring it up!"

SillyGeezer10 I understand where I am I have already made my choice. I choose Jesus Christ I try to understand him better and I just Have Faith that he isn't decieving me( though I doubt he is) . I try to understand why others don't follow him and why people think I am so blind. I don't wanna be a robot, a blind follower.

I wanna be a follower of Jesus who knows why I am a follower and knows everything my mind could possibly contain about Jesus. Especially why he decided to give his life for me. I wanna know why he thinks I am soo special when I hardly think that of myself. He said he loved me and proved it the best way anyone can ever prove their love in a sincere way he died for me. Because he knew that if he didn't I would kill myself...I'm sorry I got lost for a second. I'm babbaling. I feel ridiculous now and like a liar. Forgive me please.

Do you guys believe in Love?

What do you think of Jesus?

Oh, and just for your info EF- you aren't the only christian here. :P I'm just a perv.

Panther I don't think God was as unfair as you think he is. I don't like that people had to die, because I don't like the idea of people getting killed. Animals sacrafice mad me sick to my stomach with God when I first read and actually realized what a scapegoat was.

I am an animal lover to my soul. I take in, much to my mothers disappointment, as many animals as I can( animals that no one wants), love them, teach them how to give their love, and then I rehome them. I currently have one dog and one rabbit, but the rabbit I bought from a store just to be a good companion and I won't be giving my little dog away just because she is half wolf and so far, only I have earned her respect.

I was so disgusted with God that I almost left, but then he showed me just how desparate he was. His children had sinned and he had to do something! I don't know why he chose animal sacrifice. I am just glad he stopped it.

Are you really BigToe? I'm happy to meet you. How long? and why a Christian?if you don't mind.

Yes, I believe in love, even though I'm probably one of the most cynical people around. As for what I think of Jesus, I don't think he even existed, so I don't have an opinion about it.

Ebony Fox, I don't know if you caught my post.

I'll ask you again:

What makes you think you deserve punishment?

I think I did answer that Question in my last post. Its on the other page before this one. I would recopy what I wrote but I don't wanna repeat what I said.

How do you know love exsists?

I'm tring to get you guys to understand something. It's not the God is Love stuff just in general. I'm hoping some of you will keep an open mind to this.

How do you know love exsists?

I think the problem here is Love isn't really well-defined. That is, the definition is too ambiguous. How do you define love? Can you define love without ambiguity?

Do you believe in Love. Do you believe it is possible to go beyond like with people. I don't know how to define what I mean better than that.

I think I deserve to be punished if I got it wrong. If my God was(and I am not saying he is) a phony and the Muslim God was the real deal then I would humbly accept my punishment for being a disobedient daughter. I think we all have a sixth sense that tells us what the truth is. I think though if I were wrong than I was disobeying my conscious.

You mean your conscience? Ebony...please. If that were true, then everyone is right. I'm being completely honest with you when I say that God does not exist, and that there is nothing nagging at me that I'm wrong. So where does that lead us? Am I right, and you're wrong? Or am I wrong, and you are right?

We can't both be right.

Now, if there really was a God who was telling us the truth:

1)Why would he use something so vague and undescribed as your conscience?

2)Why doesn't everyone believe the same thing?

Believe in love? Love doesn't require belief, it is just like every other emotion.

I personally think that Jesus is an asshole...but that's just me.