Goodbye Jesus

Well, I've Been Gone A While...

ContraBardus

Wow, what an awesome post.   Thanks for sharing your story.  :)

Wow, that's heavy stuff! Good to hear you're handling it so well and that you have proves the no atheists in foxholes bullshit to be untrue. That certainly brings a smile to my face! Good on you for having such a great attitude towards it all. Hope things keep getting better for you :)

• Super Moderator

I remember you.  Wow, you really have been through some shit!   I'm glad you're stable and hope that the heinous abomination known as science continues to bring you great improvement!  GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif     

Your outlook and attitude seem fantastic and I'm sure that's helping tremendously too.  Thank you for sharing your awe-inspiring story with us.  Looking forward to seeing more of your posts. Take care.

Guest MadameX

omigosh thank you for sharing your story with such eloquence

I can tell you as a hospice volunteer who has listened to many people facing death that religion just has never come up in the conversations with the patient. It is usually memories, family, friends, and music, the music the person has grown up with. With family members, that is not always the case. And that is not to say that the subject hadn't been addressed with others, of course. However my good friend who was a longtime hospital chaplain said deathbed conversions, despite what some Christians may hope for, just don't happen.

There is a blog somewhere that I am trying to find, of a person who was also an out atheist, and wrote about his illness, and dying, with courage and frankness.

I hope the very best for you, may the transplant happen soon.

I am new to this site, and a newly realized atheist.  (I've been questioning for years, but didn't finally "break away" until this past year).  First, I am so sorry for the pain and misery you have been through, but I am glad you are stable, and that you have such a "positive" attitude about it.  

And I'm also glad you took the time to share your story here.  What you have described is one of the things that made me realize there was no god.  As you said, if there is "divine intervention", why aren't you healed completely?  I am thankful for the doctors' expertise in treating you thus far.....

I hope that you can find some comfort and solace knowing that there are people here (and elsewhere) who understand your frustration and realize what an obscene intrusion, really, their xtian religious crap is to your well-being. 

I also hope a transplant becomes availalbe soon....best wishes to you.....

I remember you, too. Thanks for your story. As an atheist with a serious, debilitating disease (MS), I found it inspirational.

Best wishes on recovering your health ... and escaping the christian loonies.

I didn't know you before, but it's an honor to meet you here now. What an amazing story! I hope that if/when I get sick like that I'll handle it with as much grace and clear-headedness. Best wishes..

Hey, welcome back. Thanks for sharing your story, and I hope you have continued improved health. Your positive outlook really is an inspiration. I hope things get better on the home front, but even if not, at least you have us to share with.

Welcome back, ContaBardus!

Sorry you've gone through so much terrible shit (the proselytizing had to be especially back).

Glad to see you're staying strong despite it all, and wishing you all the best. Your story is inspiring, just like hearing stories of others who have gone through rough stuff and refused to surrender rationality and did not embrace the lies of a false god and those insufferable fairy tales.

Keep the non-faith!

Welcome back, ContraBardus!

I'm glad to hear you're stable and doing better than the docs were expecting.  I hope things go well for you in the future... it would be really great if you could get stem-cell replacement parts.

I'm really sorry to hear that the religious vultures have descended with the news of this.  It sounds like you're coping with that really well, despite how annoying it is.  I'm glad you'll be living with your less- (or non?)religious dad soon.

ContraBardus, wishing you all the BEST that science and humanity can offer you. Thankyou for sharing your story, it has enriched my life.

Welcome back, Contra! I didn't know you well but I do remember you. 

I'm sorry you have to put up with so much shit. I know if I ever had a close family member die, or an illness or operation myself, I would have a lot of fundy BS to put up with. About a year ago my MIL died, and this year my mom got breast cancer, and the only way I can cope is to stay the hell away from the bullshit of others as much as possible. It can be maddening. 

I'm glad you're recovering so well! 

Wow   thank you for sharing, your courage and strength is an inspiration.

The body is an amazing thing and I truly believe our attitude makes a world of difference.

I too wish you the very best in medical care and science (and health!) as well as people around you that don't stress you out. Looking forward to your posts...

:)

Hi ContraBardus. I've only been here since September, so I'm relatively new. I too have congestive heart failure, but fortunately for me mine is not so bad as yours. Or maybe it is and I don't know it. I'm in my 70's, so I doubt that I would be a candidate for a heart and lung transplant. I do have a pacemaker and a defibrillator which helps a lot. I think I am stable. I have a friend who had a pacemaker and defibrillator installed when he was 70, and he is now 90 and hanging in there. I have read that heart transplants are getting more and more successful, but I'm sure you know more about that than I.

I truly feel for you with respect to the christian proselytizers who wear out their welcome before they arrive. That is annoying beyond words. I had a friend who was driving me crazy with his bullshit Xtianity talk until I  finally dropped him as a friend. That's a little awkward, but  it had to be done. Anyway, I told my adult children that if I get a terminal illness and this former friend wants to come see me, that want them to keep him away by hook or by crook. That will be  my last wish, which I am telling them in advance.

I have the exact same attitude about death as you. Incidentally, so did Mark Twain. I just hope that I will be courageous enough  to maintain that attitude.

Welcome back! I look forward to many discussions with you.           bill

I'm glad you are back!

I'm sad to hear you've been diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension.   My mother was diagnosed in 2001, and they always said she was on the verge of death within two years.   Like you, she couldn't walk far without getting severely out of breath.   Going out to lunch with friends would put her in bed for three days.  She eventually succumbed to secondary heart failure from the pulmonary hypertension.  Hers was from an autoimmune disease.  For some reason, the expensive med she was on (Tracleer) kept her alive for many years... until 2011!  She progressed slowly over time, but she learned to adapt.  I took care of her in her final years.   She had a great attitude about life and took each day as it came.  She learned to appreciate the little things in life, like the squirrels and birds at the feeder outside the window and reading books.  My wish for you is the same and it sounds like you are already there.   You could get hit by a Mack truck tomorrow, so try not to focus on the terminal diagnosis.  Get your living will and advance directives written up, get things in order, and then enjoy life!  I wish you luck with your impending transplant.  I worked on a transplant unit, and post-transplant life is certainly demanding, but it will be worth it.

Glad to hear that you're doing better, but sorry that you have to go through this at all!  Thank goodness for good doctors!

It seems to me that if an all-powerful God was going to heal you, he'd heal you completely.  Why can the Jesus freaks never see this?

welcome back. i'm new here and recently had to move back in with my mother after 16 or so years. she's not catholic but i still empathize with you. i know how much it sucks living there again but at the same time you really appreciate her help. my hats off to you for holding strong to your beliefs (or lack thereof) when you've got everyone telling you god is responsible for keeping you alive and strong.

Amazing!  Hope that you continue to heal up better than expected.  The human body is capable of amazing things.