Goodbye Jesus

Purity Balls

Lilith666

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/plastic_turkeys/purity-ball.jpg

A purity ball is a dance for Xian fathers and their daughters, where dads pledge to protect the daughters' virginity until they are married. (I don't know how they plan to pull this off, as shooting boyfriends is illegal, but anyway) so the girls pledge to save sex for marriage, and father gives daughter a lock charm. He keeps the key until she's married, and then he gives it to the husband. Daughter gives father a little pink box.

This is outrageous on so many levels.

1. Implies that men control women and, therefore, fathers own their daughters.

2. The girls' age range is from about six to seventeen. Six-year-olds are too young to understand what virginity means--why are they being told that they need to preserve it?

3. The bit about the lock and key is incredibly suggestive and borders on incestuous.

4. Little girls learn that they are like porcelain dolls and must be protected at all times, never using their own judgment. Believing that other people have to make choices for them, even into adulthood, does not cultivate

good decision-making skills.

I'm confused about one thing: Jessica Valenti, author of The Purity Myth, seemed to think the pink boxes were inappropriate. Can someone explain?

Ah yes....purity balls.....again.

For #2

Same reason they try to get kids to accept Christ around that age.  Get the children to make promises before they can understand what the promise means and then the kid will feel obligated to keep the promise.  This is also the reason that civilized governments do not allow minors to enter into contracts.  Neutral parties realize that kids can't understand.

I'm confused about one thing: Jessica Valenti, author of The Purity Myth, seemed to think the pink boxes were inappropriate. Can someone explain? 

I can't think of a way to explain it that isn't embarrassing.  There is just no delicate way to explain.  

For #2

I can't think of a way to explain it that isn't embarrassing. There is just no delicate way to explain.

Well, Ex-C isn't exactly a 1930s ladies' tea party.

Let me put it this way.  Men buy penthouse magazine to see a woman topless and also to see her pink box.  The analogy is obvious to sexually-active heterosexual males.  In other words every father should already understand it perfectly because he is a father.  The message is that the daughter won't let any boyfriend touch the pink box . . . so dad is going to hold on to it?  Ewww

I can't believe how messed up this is! I can only hope that some naive woman came up with the pink box idea.

I can't believe how messed up this is! I can only hope that some naive woman came up with the pink box idea.

And yet don't the fathers who shows up at a Purity Ball go along with it?  I would presume so but I'm never going to find out.

And yet don't the fathers who shows up at a Purity Ball go along with it?  I would presume so but I'm never going to find out.

I can't speak for them, but I would imagine that if a father thought about it in that context, he would beat himself up for having his mind in the gutter.  

Disgusting.  To think that in this day and age we're still maintaining such vestiges of an era when fathers literally "owned" their daughters.  This stupid cult cannot die soon enough.

• Like 4

Ain't it sad that I feel pretty much totally apathetic about anything, everything, I hear coming from US morontheists... because after almost ten years on this site it's all but impossible to tell me anything I haven't heard already? *shakes head*

To be fair though, there's another example for the cult not being a monolithic thing world-wide. The shortest way from my place to my bank leads me along the local church (yup Germany, not babble belt - only one church along several 100 meters of walk), and recently I took a sideways glance at their showcase. Still having in mind the anti-abortion, anti-gay, anti-evolution, anti-everything-that's-not-of-our-cult madness in so many of the places where you dwell, I couldn't help but grin seeing the one topic announced in that thing. Namely charity. It's still based on the babblical bullshit but funnily at least the mainstream christians over here behave as if they'd be from a totally different reality, compared to your morontheists. Tip of the hat to them for at least they don't do their best to piss off the rest of the planet every day.

Of course I'd just have to walk on for some 15 minutes to find myself in front of the church with the most batshit insane followers within 20 km (that I heard of)... but still.

This is exactly what comes to my mind whenever I hear about these purity balls.

I really hope this fad goes away.  Nothing good can come out of slut-shaming six-year-olds.  Or any underage girl, for that matter.

"I pledge to offer myself as a priceless gift..."

Wow. That's a pretty literal objectification of women right there. At least that girl can't say it with a straight face.

And what about the answer to the phone at that "clinic" (and what does an abstinence clinic do aside from chewing up funding and doing nothing but spewing outdated morality anyway? They sound like a church)? "It's a great day at the Abstinence Clinic, how may I help you?"

puking_rainbows_by_dancingjupiter-d48kgl

Same reason they try to get kids to accept Christ around that age.  Get the children to make promises before they can understand what the promise means and then the kid will feel obligated to keep the promise.

Add a double-scoop of Christian guilt, and you've got one hell of an effed up sundae. 

Really, there is nothing I can say about this practice that wouldn't involve four letter words typed in all caps. 

my church did something like this. My parents bought me a purity ring th

at I would wear to remind myself of my commitment to stay pure... Funny thing happened though, I smashed my hand and that ring in a door one day. Must have been a sign :-P

Add a double-scoop of Christian guilt, and you've got one hell of an effed up sundae. 

Hehe   Punny!

"Purity Balls"

Something really wrong with that phrase...

This creeps me out to no end... somewhere inside I have these icky suspicions of incest, even if only emotional incest (not much better) when I hear about this stuff.

What the hell is it with men, religion and controlling female sexuality? - especially to the point of laying it on kids who should be out playing hopscotch, or hanging out with their fellow cheerleaders. Leave them alone for goodness sakes and stop projecting your repressed and twisted crap on them.

IMHO, It's child abuse.

People grow up with this shit, perhaps getting it reinforced by being raised to obey instead of live a life of their own, and when their time comes to be parents they perpetuate the crap.

True.. but it's still wrong

More evidence that Christianity wrecks a person's sex life. 

• Like 3

This makes me so angry!!!!!!!!! Wendybanghead.gif

So much is wrong with this, that whole crap about 'females [who says that anyway?] being created to be accepted by men' is pure sexism and turns women into objects! And that's just what she says, I can't even begin with the concept itself!

vent.gif

• Like 1

So are there any Purity Balls for sons and their moms get to keep a little purple canister?

• Like 1

So are there any Purity Balls for sons and their moms get to keep a little purple canister?

There are, kind of. They're called "integrity balls." Apparently, purity is for women and integrity is for men.

Purple canister....heh heh. I just got that. The pink boxes make sense now.

The purple canister is filled with yogurt. 

But yeah, the whole pink box thing is pretty creepy.