Goodbye Jesus

Creationist Loses To Catholic Priest

hereticzero

Yes people have the right to teach their kids what they want to at home or church but if it is detrimental to a child being taught the subject in school then it also has to be detrimental for that child growing up in society. The teaching is enforced through peer pressure by those who also believe the same nonsense. This is why it is so hard to leave the cult once you have been indoctrinated for many years because 'everyone' is saying the same thing (teaching it at Sunday school and at home). So although the priest is correct that Creationism is bad for child development (my words) then the teachings of the church has to be revealed to parishoners as myth and not science, and it has to be done by the church.

Yes people have the right to teach their kids what they want to at home or church but if it is detrimental to a child being taught the subject in school then it also has to be detrimental for that child growing up in society. The teaching is enforced through peer pressure by those who also believe the same nonsense. This is why it is so hard to leave the cult once you have been indoctrinated for many years because 'everyone' is saying the same thing (teaching it at Sunday school and at home). So although the priest is correct that Creationism is bad for child development (my words) then the teachings of the church has to be revealed to parishoners as myth and not science, and it has to be done by the church.

Yeah, Sunday school teaching influenced a lot of how I saw the world even though I WAS briefly taught evolution and the big bang in school in middle school.  This was in the South (Mississippi surprisingly) so the teacher must have just wanted to fly by it since it was only one day and when questions were asked she (understandably) answered inquiries with, "There are a lot of varying beliefs regarding this," followed with "It's best to discuss this matter with your parents."  And, of course, at my churches these matters were addressed as Satan trying to "pull you into the world." Sunday school and my parents agreed and the teacher reinforced the idea I should simply ask my parents and it was no big deal if I discarded the subject matter we were taught that day even though we had a brief a quiz on it the next day and never addressed it again. 

It was VERY hard to leave the cult and STILL is to some degree (trying to rework your life and come to terms with it all).  I mean, I literally don't remember a time in my life from birth prior to now where I didn't belong to a church. I was definitely a nursery baby. 

I agree this is frustrating because you don't want to take away the parents rights to teach their children but at the same time, this teaching is really becoming detrimental to society as a whole (I believe).