Need Advice

Guest r3alchild

Read lots of books, and be comfortable with what you believe.  Christians will often try to plant that seed of doubt, and if you're not firm in your reasons for not believing, it's going to be difficult dealing with people who's main goal is to convert you.

Tell them you choose to live a life that requires very little faith, if any at all.  If their god seems to think that's worthy of hell, than that is a god you're not interested in serving.  Kthxbye!

Remember that no matter how hard they believe their myths and fantasies, that's all they are. Ask for tangible proof of any claims.

I have no tools to know how to deal with christians. What do I do, how do I deal with them.

Short of lifting up your middle finger at them, you could say, "I don't believe in Jesus, the bible or church doctrine. I reject your guilt/fear/shame laden religious ideas." You could also say, "God forbids me to share my personal religious views with anyone." You could also ignore them. You could also perform a Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram for their enjoyment/horror or choose something fun from the Necronomicon. Ask them if they'd like to play with your Ouija Board or get a Tarot reading.

• Like 1

Tell them you don't want to talk about religion.  Tell them it's personal.  If they talk about religion just ignore it as if they said nothing.  Don't waste your time on it.  If they start harassing you then give us details and we might be able to help you with a specific strategy.

You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe.- Carl Sagan

This quote kind of sealed it for me......

I agree with mymistake. Don/t engage with them on religion until you have learned enough by your reading to do so. Once you are fully educated it might even be fun to confront Xtians. But I think you are now where I was for a long time. I'd be getting along ok with my disbelief, but when a Xtian said anything to me about the faith I would immediately doubt myself and start worrying. By educating yourself about the history of Xtianity you will grow beyond that phase.  Good lucl.

Tell them you don't want to talk about religion. Tell them it's personal. If they talk about religion just ignore it as if they said nothing. Don't waste your time on it. If they start harassing you then give us details and we might be able to help you with a specific strategy.

Yes there is one thing, I am being told to pray to god for a confirmation by his spirit and they insist I do this all the time and they claim this as there only sorce if truth.

chrisstavrous,  I myself have thought and asked the same basic question time and time again.  After a couple years of so much frustration, I've finally learned that it simply doesn't matter what you say or how well you say it.  This to me is about the most aggrivating thing in my life right now.  It's REALLY frustrating!  I am just now (after a little over two years) just now figuring this out.  It's still very hard for me to take this advice, but it just doesn't matter.  You (and I) would be much happier if we could just let it go and simply give up any hope of changing someones (a Christian) mind about who we now are, what we have discovered, or why they are wrong.  You can't help them, you simply have to move on and avoid the frustration of trying.  For me, those words are still hard to accept and I keep thinking, "if I could change my views and thoughts, why can't others?"

This website in particular makes it clear that many, many people leave the faith in one manner or another, but I have yet to have any friends or aquantances even come close to it.  You just have to give it up and move on.  It's not worth the frustration.

If only I could fully beleive that advice myself, I think I could be much more content and happy.

chrisstavrous, I myself have thought and asked the same basic question time and time again. After a couple years of so much frustration, I've finally learned that it simply doesn't matter what you say or how well you say it. This to me is about the most aggrivating thing in my life right now. It's REALLY frustrating! I am just now (after a little over two years) just now figuring this out. It's still very hard for me to take this advice, but it just doesn't matter. You (and I) would be much happier if we could just let it go and simply give up any hope of changing someones (a Christian) mind about who we now are, what we have discovered, or why they are wrong. You can't help them, you simply have to move on and avoid the frustration of trying. For me, those words are still hard to accept and I keep thinking, "if I could change my views and thoughts, why can't others?"

This website in particular makes it clear that many, many people leave the faith in one manner or another, but I have yet to have any friends or aquantances even come close to it. You just have to give it up and move on. It's not worth the frustration.

If only I could fully beleive that advice myself, I think I could be much more content and happy.

Thanks for your comment I enjoyed reading it.

Wow, that's bullshit. They're demanding you believe in order to believe.

Tell them no. No is a very powerful word, but one which Christians are trained to dislike and fear. Say no. Tell them you're not going to jump through hoops for them, and you won't accept further browbeating from them on the subject. Practice in front of a mirror if you must to get your voice steady and solid so you don't falter, because toxic Christians--the sort you're alluding to--don't respond to anything but strongly-voiced boundaries.

Yes, the dreaded C word.... Confrontation. Has to be done. Yep believe me to believe that the whole bag of tricks...

I don't envy being in a situation where confrontation is required.  I'm in favor of playing a mystery card myself, like what I posted in another topic here.  It only works with Christians who have no knowlegde of where I'm at though, so for them: "It's between me and God."  And maybe "no other humans are allowed to interfere" or something to that effect to reinforce it.  And a stony "What did I just say?" if they try any further, with a "none of your business" as a last resort.

This may not help if they already know your an ex-christian.

Good luck.