Goodbye Jesus

Left Behind Remake Staring Nicolas Cage.

LastKing

For those of you who are lucky enough not to be aware of left behind, allow me to fill you in. Left Behind was a book sires about  the end of the world as viewed by fundamentalist Christians. It takes place after the rapture of all  the "real Christians" and focus on those who were left behind as they struggle to fight the Anti-Christ and await for Jesus to return. A film trilogy staring Kirk Cameron was made based off the books, which featured stupidity such as this scene......

Both the books and the movies were right winged, hate filled, war mongering, anti-peace, anti-reason, overly preachy, poorly thought out, fear based propaganda. The original books end with Jesus and all the newly converted Christians rejecting peace with the rest of world and end up committing mass genocide of all non-Christians. This included scenes of Jesus slaughtering soldiers and people from other religions begging with tear filled eyes to have their lives spared, right before Christ sends them all to hell forever! The Kirk Cameron Films also had the addition of being "Way of the Master" The movie. 

Well, its seems they are planing to remake the movies with a bigger budget. Including casting Nicolas Cage as Jesus!

Okay, He wont be playing Jesus but that would be funny.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2467046/

In all seriousness, I'm a little disturbed this movie is getting a remake with a bigger budget and more well know actors. I will admit I use that word rather loosely with Cage, but still, something about this just bothers me.

Any thoughts?

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Oh sorry. Meant to put this in the Rants and Replies.....49.gif

Didn't watch the first movie or read the books-- and won't be watching this one either! Yuck!

I remember those books. We had the whole set plus some other End Times books, along with a lot of other members of our church.  You don't wanna be left behind. They had some kids books, too, didn't they?  Nicholas Cage, huh?

Another Wicker Man, I hope. 

Guest r3alchild

I have never watched it just like ill never watch the human centipede. I don't because I don't want to fuck my head up.

Can actually be a really fun movie..... Imagine a world with no Christians.....  Where it is actually cool not to believe..... Only difference is, we better make sure the Anti-Christ wins....yellow.gif

That's strange. It almost seems like a joke. A remake? And a secular actor that would actually want to align with fundamentalism? When I was a fundamentalist, a lot of us didn't like it when unsaved actors would play in Christian movies. It just seemed hypocritical and lacked the 'anointing' it could've had from saved actors.

I don't remember Left Behind being all that bad according to christian movie standards. There were worse rapture movies that came out around the same time.

I hope they butcher it.  

I used to love these books and movies. I now just laugh at myself. I wish I could say I'm suprised about the remake, but I'm really not. There is still a lot of xtain influance in the U.S. and I'm sure with all the political things they are thinking the end times are even closer so it's a perfect time for a remake so they can "bring more people into the kingdom"

I once spoke with a philosopher who asserted that a general theory of human societies would be like a meta narrative.

It's not clear to me that states are always required. How long have we had them? I mean, we tend to generally associate them with civilized behavior, yes? Since Mesopotamia? But states pretend to a monopoly on violence. And they are about conquest.

I mean, there are implications here.

The funny thing is, there are a lot of Christians who absolutely hate the literal interpretation of Revelation and have railed against the Left Behind series as offensive and a poor representation of God. Of course, that could be said about taking many parts of the Bible literally.

It's sad and disturbing in this day and age that you have super fundies who want to rule the world and dictate everyone's lives based on the Bible/Koran, etc.

And they try to paint the worst picture possible of anyone who disagrees with them, accusing them of being members of the antichrist's/infidels army. Talk about demonization!

If they can convince themselves and others that those who disagree with them are tools of satan with absolutely no hope of salvation, then there's no telling what lengths they would go to to attempt to make their sick vision of the world a reality -- at least in their own minds and in the minds of other "true believers."

They play the persecution card to the max, then they hope to rally people to bring about their version of good vs. evil. The bad thing is, even in their own version of the story, it's "good" that ends up being responsible for the vast majority of the atrocities. The damage done by "evil" is a laughable drop in the bucket compared to their ocean of "justified" bloodshed, slaughter and damnation.

Really, it's the Old Testament version of God reverting back to the same form and deciding "no more mister nice god." People who see themselves as marginalized and picked upon sometimes eat that stuff up, and yearn for the day when their cosmic all-powerful big buddy unleashes a horrific can of whoop-ass on the mean ol' world. And sends them to be tortured forever and ever, just for good measure.

I can at least respect those Christians who reject that version of holy genocide and instead yearn to work with others -- believers and disbelievers alike -- to build a better world without a super bully blasting people to hell -- literally.

Can actually be a really fun movie..... Imagine a world with no Christians.....  Where it is actually cool not to believe..... Only difference is, we better make sure the Anti-Christ wins....yellow.gif

lol.