Goodbye Jesus

Circumcision

LifeCycle

This topic wasn't something that has ever been important to me but now that I'm a heathen it's become more and more troubling to me.  We've forced our religious ideals upon another individual through doctors and knives without their consent.  The effects last a life-time.  The crazy thing is science shows there is no extra danger an intact man as opposed to one who is not.  Add to that the debate as to whether it makes sex less enjoyable for both parties and it only adds to the complexities.

It's so damn shameful, with the advent of the internet/information age that religion still has such a powerful influence over us that we force infants through this horrendously painful procedure that scars them for life.

It's different to raise your children on religious ideals than it is to force it upon them with knives and doctors. 

Yup, my deconversion has made this a hot-button issue for me. Before, during my Christian status (where I was supposed to be more caring and compassionate towards the rights of others) I didn't give a shit.  Cut kids up, force them into a painful situation they have no control over because my god wants their foreskin. 

It's so fucking twisted it makes me sick.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I have the same views on circumcision. It is a practice that should be illegal.

Was no big deal thirty years ago, not sure why it is now. We enforce much worse things into our children's heads, but no one seems too concerned over that. I'd be more concerned over turning my child into a heartless, mindless entitled robotic consumer.

Was no big deal thirty years ago, not sure why it is now. We enforce much worse things into our children's heads, but no one seems too concerned over that. I'd be more concerned over turning my child into a heartless, mindless entitled robotic consumer.

Roughly 100 deaths per year as a result of circumcision.  Unfortunately, these parents never had the time to be concerned over whether they were turning their child into a heartless, mindless, entitled, robotic consumer. 

A completely wasteful and unnecessary procedure and now their child is dead.  

Roughly 100 deaths per year as a result of circumcision.  Unfortunately, these parents never had the time to be concerned over whether they were turning their child into a heartless, mindless, entitled, robotic consumer. 

Only 100? What a shame we are not as concerned about the number of children who die from starvation, or who live in poverty. Always seems to be some issue that distracts us from the shitty lives so many children live.

Only 100? What a shame we are not as concerned about the number of children who die from starvation, or who live in poverty. Always seems to be some issue that distracts us from the shitty lives so many children live.

Welcome to Earth. 

Welcome to Earth.

Yeah thanks, what a fucking shithole. We really are an embarrassment.

I'll get the popcorn. This topic tends to turn nasty around here if I recall correctly. 

• Like 1

I bet some people in Northern Africa feel exactly the same way about 'female circumcision'. 

I'm against the practice except if there is a valid reason like constant recurrent infections or for some reason the foreskin is unable to retract, or if an adult male CHOOSES it for himself. 

It's a REALLY WEIRD and horrifying thing to do to an infant. Of all the bizarre things in the Bible, this is one of the top ones. 

Genesis 17:10 This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised. 11 And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you. 

Essentially circumcision was to show identity as a Jewish person, to show that they are descended from Abraham, the Father of Nations. 

But if you continue in the passage, you see God's bloodthirst and savagery come out once again...

Genesis 17:12 And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed. 13 He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant. 14 And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.

For the slave infant, circumcision destroys their religious identity. Their religion and relationship with their people and their gods is destroyed. 

Sick. SICK. God once again salivates for human sacrificial flesh. It's creepy.  

I could not in good conscience do this to an infant boy. It represents something filthy and immoral. It's sickening mutilation of the helpless to placate a god of death and an old tribal mark that is no longer necessary (and not a tribe I even belong to). 

I had a boyfriend who was unable to have sex normally much because his penis was scarred up from circumcision as an infant. It HURT for him to have sex. I've discovered since transcribing urology reports that pain isn't actually all that uncommon for men. For the rest of his life, my poor ex is never going to be able to do something fulfilling for most human beings normally because of a needless cosmetic procedure and religious whackdoodlery. 

*throws my two pennies in the jar* 

• Like 2

I bet some people in Northern Africa feel exactly the same way about 'female circumcision'.

I'm sure they do. Different thing altogether. My grandson was circumcised last month when in Australia because he is muslim. He will still get to have orgasms as far as I know.

I'm sure they do. Different thing altogether. My grandson was circumcised last month when in Australia because he is muslim. He will still get to have orgasms as far as I know.

Lots of men have similar problems due to circumcision- if not as severe.  And we're talking about the act of unnecessarily mutilating a kid's genitals for some archaic cultural reason.

So yeah... it's the same thing.

Lots of men have similar problems due to circumcision- if not as severe.  And we're talking about the act of unnecessarily mutilating a kid's genitals for some archaic cultural reason.

Most men my age in my country are circumcised. Back then nobody gave a shit. Now, its a big deal. Yawn.

We don't seem to mind mutilating their minds though do we? You have been frothing at the mouth a lot lately Rank, that's not like you. Everything ok?

Most men my age in my country are circumcised. Back then nobody gave a shit. Now, its a big deal. Yawn.

We don't seem to mind mutilating their minds though do we? You have been frothing at the mouth a lot lately Rank, that's not like you. Everything ok?

I wouldn't call my post 'frothing at the mouth'.  But feel free to describe it however you want.

People in the past didn't bat an eye discrimination and mistreatment of women and minorities.  That doesn't mean it's ok.

• Like 1

Circumcision: my body, my choice. But I and untold millions of men were not given a choice. It was imposed on us when we were infants!

• Like 2

Guest Babylonian Dream

I think that it should be seen and treated like child sexual mutilation because it is child sexual mutilation.

In my lifetime I have watched way too many things go from a non issue to a shitstorm. I'm not easily swayed by public opinion but a lot of people are. It has become quite the industry now to take an issue then promote it and stir the pot until it is a big deal. I always smell a rat when that is the case. These days we cannot make any decision unless we have to justify it to the dogooder of the week. May as well just have your kidlets and hand them over to the state, seeing public opinion and rabid lobbyists decide everything for us now.

Strange world where you can wipe an unborn child out of your life like it is nothing, but if you want to circumcise a child you are causing it harm.

In my lifetime I have watched way too many things go from a non issue to a shitstorm. I'm not easily swayed by public opinion but a lot of people are. It has become quite the industry now to take an issue then promote it and stir the pot until it is a big deal. I always smell a rat when that is the case. These days we cannot make any decision unless we have to justify it to the dogooder of the week. May as well just have your kidlets and hand them over to the state, seeing public opinion and rabid lobbyists decide everything for us now.

Strange world where you can wipe an unborn child out of your life like it is nothing, but if you want to circumcise a child you are causing it harm.

Aaaaand now you're bringing it to this thread. 

alienbaby

• Like 2

I will comment however I like. You can't have it both ways.

For me the issue comes down to not doing anything invasive to others without good reason. From what I was reading about it, it only took off in England and its current/former colonies from the early 1900s and died off most everywhere else but the US after WW2*. This is purely cultural and most people circumcise not because of health benefits (or some other such lie) but because "that's what people do". It's definitely not the worst thing you could do to a male child but I'd only ever do it for medical reasons. Hell, if I ever had kids I would even get their ears pierced if that gives you an idea of how little I want to mess with my children's bodies.

*The only other places that do circumcision are Islamic countries are the people are Jewish. It's never really taken off in non English speaking European countries or the vast majority of East Asia.

• Like 1

Guest r3alchild

As much as I know about this subject, circumcision started as a religious practice. Then later on it was taught as having medical benefits to the public.

• Like 1