Goodbye Jesus

Circumcision

LifeCycle

And now to interrupt this argument with a weird historical aside: well, of course, at the time, "medical benefits" were basically aimed at preventing masturbation - makes palms hairy, you will go blind, and will eventually drive you insane, don't ya know. See also Graham Crackers and corn flakes (no, I'm not kidding).

• Like 2

Guest Babylonian Dream

Galien, I wouldn't care about the issue if you weren't cutting away at someone else's body parts without a good reason.

In my lifetime I have watched way too many things go from a non issue to a shitstorm. I'm not easily swayed by public opinion but a lot of people are. It has become quite the industry now to take an issue then promote it and stir the pot until it is a big deal. I always smell a rat when that is the case. These days we cannot make any decision unless we have to justify it to the dogooder of the week. May as well just have your kidlets and hand them over to the state, seeing public opinion and rabid lobbyists decide everything for us now.

Strange world where you can wipe an unborn child out of your life like it is nothing, but if you want to circumcise a child you are causing it harm.

But the thing is, if you prevent an unborn child from being born before it's able to feel any pain, then no harm is caused. Circumcising a child once its already born and can feel pain is causing harm.

In my lifetime I have watched way too many things go from a non issue to a shitstorm. I'm not easily swayed by public opinion but a lot of people are. It has become quite the industry now to take an issue then promote it and stir the pot until it is a big deal. I always smell a rat when that is the case. These days we cannot make any decision unless we have to justify it to the dogooder of the week. May as well just have your kidlets and hand them over to the state, seeing public opinion and rabid lobbyists decide everything for us now.

Strange world where you can wipe an unborn child out of your life like it is nothing, but if you want to circumcise a child you are causing it harm.

But the thing is, if you prevent an unborn child from being born before it's able to feel any pain, then no harm is caused. Circumcising a child once its already born and can feel pain is causing harm.

Depriving a viable child of life isn't harm? Must be some interesting brain twists going on to justify this stuff.

Depriving a viable child of life isn't harm? Must be some interesting brain twists going on to justify this stuff.

Pointing to worse issues (or ones you reckon are worse) does not justify genital mutilation. Even if it only involves those despicable males.

Pointing to worse issues (or ones you reckon are worse) does not justify genital mutilation. Even if it only involves those despicable males.

Kind of fascinating that abortion is considered harm to children but carving up their genitals for weird religious reasons is A-OK. 

Guest Babylonian Dream

Isn't this about circumcision, not abortion? And don't we already have an active thread about abortion currently being replied to?

When I was still a Christian, the law of circumcision (which was compulsory prior to its being made unnecessary after Jesus' shed blood) really troubled me and filled me with horror.  I found an article on the web (which I'll try to find) that explained that circumcision in Biblical times, as commanded by God (supposedly) was a very different procedure to what is practiced by orthodox Jews today (not sure about muslims or medical circumcision?).  Only a little bit of the foreskin was removed, but not too much as to have no 'covering' at all.  It was the rabbis who devised the radical procedure which does sound more akin to mutilation.  This was because Jewish men competing in games along with Greeks, would tie the remaining skin in a way that made it look like they stiill had foreskins- the athletes competed naked, and they didn't want to be laughed at supposedly??  Another reason why this original 'token' procedure was done on babies 8 days old is because the clotting system is at it's best only on that day (plus the brain of a newborn baby isn't developed enough to remember the pain)?? 

The horror and revulsion at being commanded to hurt your baby in such a way, I figured was a 'foreshadow' of the horror and pain at having your son killed by crucifixion?? 

It really is an emotive subject.  huh.png

Guest Babylonian Dream

Circumcision really makes God look like a capricious sadistic psychopath more than anything else. Well... maybe not more than anything else....

• Like 1

Here's an article I found that discusses how biblical circumcision was nothing like it is now:

http://www.cirp.org/library/history/peron2/

I certainly don't see how it is harm to prevent a child from coming to life before it has functional organs and can feel pain. Since pain can be felt when circumcision is done, then harm is caused. That's just my opinion anyway.

Isn't this about circumcision, not abortion? And don't we already have an active thread about abortion currently being replied to?

The thread is about circumcision, but the whole point of bringing up abortion in this thread, I think, was probably to compare the two subjects and why people might object to one and not the other, or why they might object to both.

Here's an article I found that discusses how biblical circumcision was nothing like it is now:

http://www.cirp.org/library/history/peron2/

Ooo, that was a really good find. Very interesting. Thanks!

As much as I know about this subject, circumcision started as a religious practice. Then later on it was taught as having medical benefits to the public.

Such as putting more $$$ into the pockets of the medical industry... Completely unnecessary but if it can make someone an extra dollar and people are dumb enough to do it.. Why the fuck not?

I was deconverting when my son was born so circumcision wasnt on my radar. If I had another kid now, I would certainly bring up the idea of not doing it to my wife.

Circumcision is one of those things that probably seemed like a good idea before we had all of the facts and though it is more pointless than harmful. Pointless practices usually phase out of society and are replaced by new fringe ideas, then exploited by the medical industry. 

This issue just underscores how dumb people really are.  I bet if you asked most moms why they had their kid circumcised they would reply with inaccurate information or with an "I dunno" or worse, something religious.

Guest Babylonian Dream

This issue just underscores how dumb people really are.  I bet if you asked most moms why they had their kid circumcised they would reply with inaccurate information or with an "I dunno" or worse, something religious.

Or they think you're crazy for not circumcising your kid, even though they don't know why a kid should be. It's just tradition, and you must obey!

From a sexual point of view I would much rather wrap my lips around a circumcised penis than an uncircumcised one. Just sayin'

Or they think you're crazy for not circumcising your kid, even though they don't know why a kid should be. It's just tradition, and you must obey!

This is where the term "Sheeple" seems appropriate.   If you so something so intrusive, so painful, not without its own risks, that lasts for a lifetime, to your own infant child and you don't know why... You're a fucking "sheeple."

From a sexual point of view I would much rather wrap my lips around a circumcised penis than an uncircumcised one. Just sayin'

Sounds worthy of a pole, err poll. 

Wow- is that supposed to be a justification for cutting pieces off a child's genitals?  I hear that some men in Northern Africa prefer women without labia or a clitoris...

Jesus christ... you'd think our self-proclaimed paragon of empathy would err on the side of NOT causing unnecessary bodily harm and the potential for lifetime sexual dysfunction.  I guess it just goes to show how powerful completely senseless cultural notions can be.

Wow- is that supposed to be a justification for cutting pieces off a child's genitals?  I hear that some men in Northern Africa prefer women without labia or a clitoris...

Jesus christ... you'd think our self-proclaimed paragon of empathy would err on the side of NOT causing unnecessary bodily harm and the potential for lifetime sexual dysfunction.  I guess it just goes to show how powerful completely senseless cultural notions can be.

You always been this against circumcision for your whole life, or just since people started carrying on about it? There are worse things in the world than having your tip nipped. What a performance. If I had a son he would be circumcised. Because I said so.

You always been this against circumcision for your whole life, or just since people started carrying on about it? There are worse things in the world than having your tip nipped. What a performance. If I had a son he would be circumcised. Because I said so.

It just seems like a very obvious question to me.  

Should we cut up a kid's genitals?  Or not?

Seriously- where's this empathy you're always going on about?  Every justification you've posted so far can be (and is) used to justify female circumcision- which I THINK we can all agree is horrible.  

It just seems like a very obvious question to me.  

Should we cut up a kid's genitals?  Or not?

Seriously- where's this empathy you're always going on about?  Every justification you've posted so far can be (and is) used to justify female circumcision- which I THINK we can all agree is horrible.

Most men my age, in my country are circumcised because at the time it was culturally appropriate to do so. A lot of their sons are circumcised so they can look like dad. I am assuming you have never smelt the penis of an uncircumcised man who does not exercise appropriate hygiene. Not nice.

My grandson was recently circumcised on a trip here, he is muslim. He looked fine to me. Im pretty sure his world will not be devastated or his sex life compromised. There are so many worse things that happen to children all the time that remain ignored. This topic shits me because it is neither here nor there, but people want to make a huge issue out of it.

Guest r3alchild

You know as a man I could say what women say about abortion (you don't know unless your my sex) but I wont say that, because I think you can understand what a man feels about circumcision.