Goodbye Jesus

I Won't Joke About Jesus Or 'take The Mickey' Even Though I No Longer Believe.

BlackCat

As a general rule, humor is based on someone's pain or the mocking of someone. Try to think of a joke or humorous story that isn't.

Given that general rule, if one is unwilling to accept humor about religion, then one should also not accept any other humor or else one risks being a hypocrite.

"If God talks to you from a burning bush, you have gonorrhea." - Ron White

To me it's cathartic to joke about that which 'should never' be joked about. :-)

If Jesus were real and God were real would you want to spend eternity in a heaven with these two characters if their personalities were the grave seriousness as portrayed by the Christian church? I wouldn't. I would rather spend eternity with a couple goofballs cracking jokes and having fun.

If I was the Creator I would give my creations the ability to laugh at everything, even me. :-)

• Like 3

It is a way of venting anger at certain (not all) Xtians for treating us badly and being such

insufferable hypocrites. But is it an appropriate way? Even though I have done it in anger, personally, I

don't think it is. I just don't feel right about it. It doesn't give me a feeling of satisfaction. To

direct mocking at Xtians or to mock in the presence of Xtians, I do believe is wrong. It does not help in the cause of reason, which is what we are about.

It truly is insensitive, if not cruel. Moreover, It provides Xtians with a weapon to use against us with their fellow Xtions. Like,"See, what did I tell you about those atheists." bill

Mockery in public is bad form.

Lets see, God sacrificed himself to himself in order to lift a curse that he himself put on all humanity.

I think that's worth mockery. My mockery is usually contained to Ex-c though.

Yes, such an interpretation of the bible is surely ridiculous. 

• Super Moderator

How anyone could find the  murder of a man funny, by imagining him to be nailed to a chicken instead of a cross, is way beyond me, but then we're all different.  That is offensive to me, so it seems a part of me still 'believes' in Jesus...................

It's a fictional character, like when Wile E. Coyote gets crushed by the anvil (of course he also is somehow resurrected from his apparent destruction) or Moe Howard poking the other Stooges in their eyes (they never seem to go blind). It's a joke. It's funny (to most) when Elmer Fudd has his shotgun go off in his face (never gets a scratch). The characters aren't real. Hello?

Of course, slapstick comedy isn't to everyone's taste.

We joke about death all the time. I'm sure that the mention of names such as Dahmer or Waco can conjure up memories of jokes you've heard and quite possibly laughed at.

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?254895-Jeffrey-Dahmer-jokes-quot-SICK-quot#.UU9b91fxrcc

I worked in law enforcement. Death and horror was a daily occurrence. We all used dark humor as a coping mechanism. I think there are worse coping mechanisms that can be employed. Laughter is pretty harmless compared to other types.

We joke about death all the time. I'm sure that the mention of names such as Dahmer or Waco can conjure up memories of jokes you've heard and quite possibly laughed at.

I think we're getting into a different aspect of humour.    When my dad died, me and my sister were with him for the last hours and when he took his last breath.  We briefly left the room while the nurses washed and re-dressed my dad.  As they'd laid him out flat on his back, my dad's mouth was open.  Later on, my sister's husband made the comment 'for fuck's sake, make sure they close my mouth', which we all had a chuckle about, as my dad would have thought that funny, the sense of humour he had.  Before he died he'd payed for his funeral and when picking the coffin, he'd remarked 'yes, I can see myself in that one'.   So, yes, we can find humour in terrible situations.  We all have different boundaries I suppose. 

Why did the punk rocker cross the road? He was stapled to the chicken.

If the prior, similar joke was offensive, then this should be, too.

• Like 1

FWIW, I would think that an unwillingness to joke about Jesus would come more from the way you related to him as a to-be-revered authority figure than from any admirable qualities present in his story.

Actually, it's the other way round. smile.png

The latter is often conflated with the former. We are taught brainwashed to revere Jesus because of all of his admirable traits: he died for other people, he was innocent, he died a gruesome moderately terrible death, etc. Think of other stories with characters who also exhibit virtuous qualities, and then think of whether you would be willing to joke about them or whether you would meet the same resistance you meet when contemplating jokes about Jesus. My guess is that you wouldn't.

Roman crucifixion was most certainly not a moderately terrible method of killing.  Please check that. 

I wouldn't mock other similar 'virtuous characters'.   What would be the point?   I think this is a very individual issue. 

One thing Christians teach is that Jesus died -the worst- death possible, but the fact is that there are many worse ways to die than crucifixion. That's all I meant.

My point is just that when people see the following video about Gandalf, no one writes letters to their editor complaining about the show. 

But they might for this one (don't worry, it's tame): 

Yes, I agree that there are worse deaths than crucifixion.  I don't know if it makes the claim in the Bible that Jesus died via the worst means possible.  That may be those pesky Christians exaggerating again.  Ah, am I mocking Christians?  Maybe.....:)

Those videos aren't too bad.  

laugh.png   I'm sorry but I don't get that joke.  It's silly.......tongue.png

• Super Moderator

I don't mock christians who are in my real life (well, at least not to their faces) unless they really harass me, but I think there are times and places to mock their ridiculous beliefs. This website is one of those places.     I suppose mockery works a lot like sarcasm -- it might offend some people but it can open the eyes of others.    Anyhow, if christians don't want to be mocked, they shouldn't have such stupid beliefs.  tongue.png

Here's a former christian who admits that mockery made him investigate his religion in order to prove the mockers wrong.   Funny thing happened on his way to prove The Truth -- he ended up an atheist.

• Super Moderator

To state the obvious, punk rockers actually exist.

I don't mock christians who are in my real life (well, at least not to their faces) unless they really harass me, but I think there are times and places to mock their ridiculous beliefs. This website is one of those places.     I suppose mockery works a lot like sarcasm -- it might offend some people but it can open the eyes of others.    Anyhow, if christians don't want to be mocked, they shouldn't have such stupid beliefs.  tongue.png

Here's a former christian who admits that mockery made him investigate his religion in order to prove the mockers wrong.   Funny thing happened on his way to prove The Truth -- he ended up an atheist.

Gee whizz, he's going to burst a blood vessel.  tongue.png  

I love 'Father Ted'  which thoroughly takes the Mickey out of Catholicism.  I have no problem with that kind of humour and mickey taking. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLMYtgAV8l8

Mocked Zeus once. I was Thor for a week.

• Like 1

Not a big fan of mockery either, I find it immature. I do think though that some people deal with their own anger at themselves for being part of christianity by mocking people who are still christians. I don't see the point in deliberately hurting people who still believe by shitting all over things that are important to them.

• Like 1

I don't feel that Jesus should be considered off limits to mockery. For as great and good as he was supposed to be, he to this day is the source for so much division and the fuel for people's victimization of others. It just gets all the more ridiculous when you consider that he could very well be a folk-tale character who's life has been continually fictionalized.

But at the same time I don't go around making inappropriate Jesus jokes if it would hurt people's feelings.

I just wish Mary had thought of all this before she gave in to desire and threw Joseph down and rode him like a cowgirl.

• Like 2

And Jesus said unto them "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." A few seconds later a stone came flying out of the crowd. Jesus, looked around, then yelled "Mom! Cut that out!" And then a stone came flying down from the sky. "Dad, you too!"

I'm sorry, there is just too much material to ignore at times.

• Like 1

I don't know. I just don't think I'm witty enough to make the jokes, honestly. I also am hyper-conscious of hurting others' feelings.  But sometimes I wish I were witty and less anxious, lol!  I could never make them in person, though, that's for sure.  I have trouble making them here, but I do laugh sometimes when they are. Though, initially I'll feel a recoil that I think is just instinctual since I avoided anything that mocked God/Jesus for so long. 

I don't see the point of mocking a person, but I do still make jokes about the belief.  Parody stories and such.  It's not out of anger, hatred or rebellion, as some theists have pointed out they believe it is.  But rather it's because I like humor, and I don't see why religion should get a free pass.

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings about the way humour can be used - there is someone in my family who mocks and jokes at other people over their characteristics and appearance and having grown up with that and been on the receiving end of it sometimes I've felt that it can be really destructive at times.  I agree that mocking can be immature and inappropriate - but that said there are times when I've just burst out laughing at it. 

When I think of Jesus as a real person who went through the awful and horrendous experience of crucifixion, I would never want to mock him personally as a human being.  But when I think of the situation of him being mistaken as God's only begotten son, then I think a bit of rational thinking and perspective is needed and some humour about the issue would help to get a more realistic perspective back.    

Galien: That is precisely the point. bill

For some reason jokes about god are not the same to me as jokes about Jesus. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's

because the horrendous things he supposedly did as set forth in the OT are sooo despicable that it's hard

to resist the temptation to mock the belief in him. And I admit, I can't resist it at times. For example,what great material for a comedy routine is the description in the OT of god wrestling with

-was it Jacob? I'm too tired to look it up. But god was losing, so he injured Jacob's leg. Just think of what Johnny Carson could have done with that? bill

Bill, all that proves is that Tanya Harding read the Bible.

I don't mock Jesus either.  It's not out of some respect I have for Jesus.  I simply believe that the topic of Jesus is too serious to be made light of.  Jesus is a figure who, according to Christians, will send me to eternal hell for not believing in him.  That's terrible and morally wrong.  I want to explain to Christians how horrible the idea is of burning in eternal hell just for not believing in Jesus.  Mocking him and making light of their beliefs will make them less receptive to my arguments, and make the true horror of Christian beliefs out to be less serious than it really is.  Maybe this analogy is a bit of a stretch, but mocking Jesus makes about as much sense to me as mocking an incoming nuclear warhead.

So really, mocking Christianity doesn't do me or Christians any good, and so I see no reason to do so.

Mocking is perfectly in order when confronted with a Christian of the rabid fundy persuasion.

Especially Bible literalists who mock the scientific method, rationality or critical thinking.

Why be respectful of people who aren't respectful of you - especially when their own religion tells them otherwise? Wendyshrug.gif

• Like 1

Why be respectful of people who aren't respectful of you - especially when their own religion tells them otherwise? Wendyshrug.gif

Because that is what mature people do. Everytime I hear that out of the mouth of someone who isnt a teenager I do not get it.