Crazy Ihop People

inorbit

No, literally crazy. Besides the religious and devout and curious... there are the crazy people that come to IHOP and stay. They need medication and care, but they are mostly tolerated, ignored, marginalized, or (in the case of the more outspoken ones) banned from the premises. It just bothers me a bit. Like, the guy here in the coffee shop who is muttering to... someone. And then there's the fact that the more fanatical of the IHOPers is indistinguishable from the mentally challenged. Constantly praying in tongues under their breath, while seeing demons and Jesus in everything. Most aren't like this and no one mainstream is... But there is a fringe following. It explains why people who visit could mistake this place for a cult. And sometimes they drive me crazy (the fanatics, not the ill).

People that go anywhere and STAY get on my nerves (people that are sitting somewhere when you walk in and you take your time and when you leave they are still sitting there doing nothing). Sitting there wasting time talking to the sky would only make it worse. 

Wait, are we talking about:

International House of Pancakes or International House of Prayer (who were told by International House of Pancakes to stop calling themselves IHOP)?

About ten years ago, the pastors of the most cultish church I attended went to IHOP for over a month and came back even crazier. Suddenly we all had to pray, all the time or the demons were going to destroy our lives and our city. Then started 24/7 prayer at the admin centre (they have no church building due to lack of fundings) and if you did not participate for several hours a week you were looked down upon as unspiritual or backsliding. They became even more controlling and paranoid about end times and for some reason we now also had to have music led prayer sessions during the sunday service. Apparently, our prayer now needed a constant soundtrack....and yeh, we were encouraged to pray in tongues all the time too so the local residents would have noticed a sharp increase in people mumbling to themselves while shopping or drinking coffee.

So the IHOP (prayer not pancakes, sadly) virus has been global for at least a decade. Thanks IHOP Wendyloser.gif

Wow wanderinstar, that's just nuts.  Every now and then I am reminded that my church experience could well have been worse.

I'm tempted to sit in the prayer room and read Dawkins, but I'm still in the closet and many on staff know me, even the "higher ups." I could say it's for research, but I'm already suspect. But what an epic and ironic setting for reading The God Delusion... ;)

I suppose I could field questions at some point. I don't agree with their theology or...logic... But, I could explain it. If I ever could believe, their version of God and theology would be the closest to what I could accept... in some ways. Other stuff from other churches and doctrines I would rather go with in other areas. Ah, the buffet of Christianity! Pick what you want to be true! It's more obvious to me now, but thankfully my missionary and theological training (ironically) helped me begin to question everything- well, that's all in my extimony.

I am so glad to have this place to vent.

Wait, are we talking about:

International House of Pancakes or International House of Prayer (who were told by International House of Pancakes to stop calling themselves IHOP)?

I second this question. OP, you've assunmed we all know what you mean- not everyone does.

I'm not surprised those people are a little crazy. I'd be crazy too if I went to IHOP and there were no pancakes!

Guest Babylonian Dream

I so thought you were talking about the International House of Pancakes. I was just thinking "there's tendacies of crazy religious people and mentally ill people going to the International House of Pancakes?" I was just confused a little. Or thinking this was a weird rant from a disgruntled waiter or something. XD

Shockingly, there has been no change for all that prayin'.  The only reason crime and poverty has gone down is that more of them are moving here all the time.  That's changing the demographic.  They generally ignore the community, their neighbors, and other area churches (though they adamantly claim otherwise).  And they ban any undesirables from the premises.  Some they have to for legal and safety reasons.  As you can imagine (and as you've said), a place like this DOES naturally attract some genuine loonies.

Shockingly, there has been no change for all that prayin'.  The only reason crime and poverty has gone down is that more of them are moving here all the time.  That's changing the demographic.  They generally ignore the community, their neighbors, and other area churches (though they adamantly claim otherwise).  And they ban any undesirables from the premises.  Some they have to for legal and safety reasons.  As you can imagine (and as you've said), a place like this DOES naturally attract some genuine loonies.

Yeah, I think those folks just enjoy feeling like they're doing something without actually getting their hands dirty. It's pretty much just masturbation. I've had very few Christians offer to help me when I needed it beyond prayers (though to be fair there have been a few). My non-Christian friends (and they weren't really close friends, basically co-workers i'd known for some time) were a completely different story. That was actually one of the things that had a big influence on my deconversion. 

So do you have an exit plan for this place? I know you'd talked about stepping down from some position, are you just biding your time working there until you find something else? 

Heck, no, I left.  My discussion to do so went over well with my immediate supervisor.  I used safe and generic language, but she seemed to understand what I was intentionally not saying.  I found out later through a mutual friend that she's in a very similar boat and she has since also left.  There are a lot of us, actually, but we're all in the closet.  When we find each other, it's wonderful.

"Enjoy feeling like they're doing something without actually getting their hands dirty."  Sums up the IHOP culture perfectly.  So many times I was in actual need and no one would help.  In fact, one time I was moving and didn't have a vehicle.  Not a single IHOP staff member or friend helped me.  They all had flimsy excuses, some of which included their "ministry" commitments (ie, needing to be in the prayer room).  So, my lesbian neighbor couples spent the whole day helping me move with their own truck.  For free.  Refused payment.  Yeah, that one REALLY made me think about the parable of the Good Samaritan.

And that story so perfectly sums up how much IHOP sucks at community.  They are too busy praying to make a difference to make any actual difference.  They miss the forest for the imaginary trees.

So we're not talking about the pancake place.....we don't have anything like that here. I've evidently been under a rock to have missed this.

My father in-law thought it was awesome that some religious group basically stole IHOP's trademark. Meanwhile, my nephew and I were in the sound booth rolling our eyes about it.

EDIT: In that vein, a thought just occurred to me: I should start a freethinking movement that does local charity work, and call it the "Assemblies of Good," and see what my Assemblies of God pastor father in-law thinks about that.

• Like 1

You know, I really don't like pancakes all that much. I mean, they taste decent depending on what else you bring to the table to top them with (I like peanut butter, the real stuff -- can't stand that fake maple flavored corn syrup shit)and they fill you up and make you feel good right away. But they're so starchy that they make your insulin levels spike and after a while they just make you feel sickly full and then you crash and need another stack.

I'd rather eat real food.

You know, I really don't like pancakes all that much. I mean, they taste decent depending on what else you bring to the table to top them with (I like peanut butter, the real stuff -- can't stand that fake maple flavored corn syrup shit)and they fill you up and make you feel good right away. But they're so starchy that they make your insulin levels spike and after a while they just make you feel sickly full and then you crash and need another stack.

I'd rather eat real food.

IHOP, the pancake version, does some decent savory crepes. So you can find real food on the menu and still join in the "eating breakfast for lunch/dinner" fun.

• Like 1