Goodbye Jesus

God Speaking In The Bible (Why Doesn't People Question This)

Ramen666

He doesn't do anything. he speaks, works, and brings about change through "his" people and this is "the holy spirit".

On a related note, the writer of Acts says that Paul claims that Jesus spoke to Paul from heaven on the Damascus road in Hebrew (Acts 26:14), which is odd because Jesus used a line ("kick against the pricks") that was found in several Greek plays and the allusion would have been most obvious in Greek and not Hebrew. Additionally, you have a conversation between Jesus and Nicodemus recorded in John 3 that would've presumably been in Aramaic, but which only makes sense in Greek because of the play on the dual meanings of the word pneumatos (wind/spirit).

The pun on the dual meaning of pneumatos works just as well with Aramaic rucha and Hebrew ruach, which both mean "wind" as well as "spirit" (as well as "breath"). Your source on this seems mistaken.

No, not my source. Me. I misremembered which double entendre it was that created the problem. There is play between spirit and wind, but that wasn't the word that creates a problem for the Aramaic, as you pointed out. The one that creates the difficulty is anothen (from above/again).

Thanks for the correction.

Of course this question is raised by christians, but it's dismissed just as quickly. The answer is that God told the authors what to write. So when Moses wrote the pentateuch (which he did of course, right?), God gave him the words to write down about Adam, Abraham, etc. Even if a christian believes the JEDP theory, they'll just say those authors were inspired.

How do we know what Satan said to Jesus in the desert? Because at least one of the gospel authors were told by God. You can't win.

Additionally, you have a conversation between Jesus and Nicodemus recorded in John 3 that would've presumably been in Aramaic, but which only makes sense in Greek because of the play on the dual meanings of the word pneumatos (wind/spirit).

This would be a fantastic inconsistency in the bible, but I don't think it really holds up. Even if the conversation only works in greek, the thing is there was a huge greek influence in the area at the time. There was a lot of hellenization going on. A christian could simply argue that it's not implausible that Jesus learned some greek, given the environment. Or they could just resort to the supernatural and say that since Jesus is God he wouldn't have a problem speaking greek anyway.

A christian could simply argue that it's not implausible that Jesus learned some greek, given the environment. Or they could just resort to the supernatural and say that since Jesus is God he wouldn't have a problem speaking greek anyway.

As fanciful as that excuse would be, they don't need to go that far. They can just say that the double entendre was never intended and that the passage still makes sense without it. Never mind that it makes much more sense from a literary standpoint if the double meaning is the source of Nicodemus' confusion in the conversation.

• 2 weeks later...

He sounds like Morgan Freeman

English, of course  lol

There are a lot of 'quotes' in the Bible by people who were supposedly alone and probably illiterate, it is interesting. It's like there was a journalist running around writing everything down as it happened.

Not Morgan - too nice.

I think God has an English accent and probably a stiff upper lip. Think Rex Harrison in My Fair Lady - a real anal-retentive ass who is always ready to tell you the what to say, when to say it and how.Wendyloser.gif

^ "Mongo pawn in game of life..."