Goodbye Jesus

Oh Yeah? Well, What's The Meaning Of Life Then?

Jose

• Super Moderator

Bah, why bother. They're already fucked.

Nice prose, BTW.

It drives me fucking bonkers.

"You're an atheist? What's the meaning of life?"

Who says there has to be one? And if there is one, how the fuck should I know what the meaning of life is?

• Like 2

Fuck yeah! That's great!!!

Finding the meaning of life is one of the most beautiful aspects of this life... It's what we make it out to be... And not to be preordained by some supernatural dictator/director. 

Christians are gonna hate on that, but they like being sheep with all that "God is in control" bullshit.

• Like 2

Well, at least you got it right.  100% credit on that assignment.  Although it is ironic when a "teacher" asks a question that they themselves don't know the correct answer to.

• Like 2

I shared a mild anti easter post on FB and simply asserted that xmas and easter are co opted pagan festivals. For that I was accused of being intolerant ????

You're such a dick. How dare you tell the truth? Intolerant prick.

• Like 1

attachicon.giffacebook.JPG

The temptation to end it with, "So fuck you." was almost unbearable, but I persevered.

Excellent writing, sir. Too bad that other person will be unable to simply enjoy those things you mentioned without the cloud of God hanging over it. You can enjoy those things without the need to pause and pay tribute to an imaginary friend for their existence. You could spend as much time as you like with these things you talked about without an imaginary friend getting jealous. None of these simple enjoyments come with a sense of shame attached.

That was lovely. Congrats. :)

I got one: staying up late with a friend, watching scary movies, eating pizza and getting high on caffeine. And cannolis!!!!!

My life is much, MUCH more meaningful since I got off the hamster wheel of fear that was Christianity. Now, instead of being freaked out over every test or worldly thing, paranoid about where I was going to trip up and sin, I can just savor all life has to offer. 

• Like 8

"Hamster wheel of fear" analogy, +100,000,000 points.

(link jumps to 5-minute mark, but the entire song is excellent)

I'd also heard it suggested to respond with "I don't know" in a tone of childlike wonder, or to go on a diatribe about how life is fundamentally meaningless and has no point and we all end up dead at the end, blah blah blah...and then say "But I don't care.  I'm going to live it anyway."

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Another million points for the "hamster wheel of fear."

My usual response to that is, "If you have to ask that question, you're not living it right." 

My usual response to that is, "If you have to ask that question, you're not living it right." 

That's totally true!  But at the same time, they probably won't get it.

The question is almost always posed as a set-up for an appeal to consequences. The unstated implication is that if there is no God then there is no meaning to life. Even if that were true, it doesn't in any way address the existential claim itself. When they pull out this one or Pascal's Wager, I suspect it means they've got nothing else. I see it as the rhetorical equivalent of throwing your pistol at the enemy after you've run out of ammo.

Thanks, guys. Really, being able to say something like "hamster wheel of fear" to people who understand that instead of who look at me in amazement and go, "But that's not what it is!" is such a relief. For over a decade, I've thought I was nuts or was missing something entirely when others just had no idea (or pretended not to have any idea) of the fear and horrors built into Christianity. 

In another thread, someone used a phrase about how Christianity, the second you convert, was presented to them in a whole prepackaged idea of what to feel and how to think, and for a lot of people, I think that is what a lot of people love about it. How much of humanity has been spent on "the meaning of life"? And Christians are given it all wrapped up for them and told, here, here's the answer! All right! No need to struggle! No need to worry. One size fits all.

And it is continually baffling to me how many individuals are totally happy living their lives that way without question. But then again, maybe most people don't even WANT to question anything. Come to think of it, how many of these people don't question anything: whether or not to marry and have kids, what to do with their lives, where to go on vacations, even. It's all decided for them. Of COURSE you get married. That's what people DO! Vacation? No worries, Disney World! Thinking about social issues or politics? Why, that's what the smart church leaders are for, to tell us what to do, so we don't have to think about it at all!

Obviously, the meaning of my life is to rattle cage bars. devilfinger.gif

• Like 1

Thanks, guys. Really, being able to say something like "hamster wheel of fear" to people who understand that instead of who look at me in amazement and go, "But that's not what it is!" is such a relief. For over a decade, I've thought I was nuts or was missing something entirely when others just had no idea (or pretended not to have any idea) of the fear and horrors built into Christianity. 

In another thread, someone used a phrase about how Christianity, the second you convert, was presented to them in a whole prepackaged idea of what to feel and how to think, and for a lot of people, I think that is what a lot of people love about it. How much of humanity has been spent on "the meaning of life"? And Christians are given it all wrapped up for them and told, here, here's the answer! All right! No need to struggle! No need to worry. One size fits all.

And it is continually baffling to me how many individuals are totally happy living their lives that way without question. But then again, maybe most people don't even WANT to question anything. Come to think of it, how many of these people don't question anything: whether or not to marry and have kids, what to do with their lives, where to go on vacations, even. It's all decided for them. Of COURSE you get married. That's what people DO! Vacation? No worries, Disney World! Thinking about social issues or politics? Why, that's what the smart church leaders are for, to tell us what to do, so we don't have to think about it at all!

Obviously, the meaning of my life is to rattle cage bars. devilfinger.gif

A relative of mine likes the Xian song "My future decided...." I don't want my life decided in advance.

Jose, you normally talk tough, but inside you're a soft touch.  Aww.

The longer I live, the more appealing hedonism is.

That was very well written, Jose.

Life is what you make of it. Which means you are actually supposed to make your own choices in life and decide for yourself what to do. I guess if some peeps prefer the Christian way, that's their business. I can see where Christianity can be appealing to people who feel they need guidance and/or scared to look outside their worldview. Humans hate uncertainty.

Just because in the stream of things our lives are very small and probably doesn't matter in the larger picture, but that does not mean it is worthless. Our lives do matter in the smaller picture.

We all matter and affect the people we meet and are around. We matter in our jobs even if it is a minor position. If no one is willing to do the smaller tasks than it'll never get done. It is getting the smaller tasks done that allow other people to do the larger tasks. Take a hospital for instance, yes there are doctors and nurses but what about the people behind the scenes. What about the janitors? Without the janitors the building would be filthy and unsanitary. What about the boiler engineers? Someone has to maintain the boilers to keep them running for heating purposes. What about the technicians.  Someone has to keep the equipment running. What about the cafeteria staff? Someone has to make food for the patients and the hospital staff.  

I could go on but the point is, everyone is a part of the whole.  It is up to you to discover where you belong and what you find meaningful. Just because someone can pre-plan your life does not mean you will actually find it meaningful. No one can discover that meaning but you.

There is no meaning.  It makes no sense to suggest that there is one.  Purpose is another story altogether.

• Like 1

There is no meaning.  It makes no sense to suggest that there is one.  Purpose is another story altogether.

+1.

• Super Moderator

It's a Monty Python movie. Or possibly 42. Anything else is just a silly answer.

It's a Monty Python movie. Or possibly 42. Anything else is just a silly answer.

I was hoping someone here would say 42. lol.