Goodbye Jesus

A Cold Heart

Burny

Vern, welcome to Ex-C. Also, I will add that I voted up your post, and would vote it up more than once if I could. This is a very valid analogy you have given, and it baffles me that Christians will never see the situation this way, because they got that really good parking spot to do their Christmas shopping that one time, so they think God definitely exists and is looking out for them.

Amen Vern and welcome to ex-C. I certainly agree that any human father who ignored their kids' emails and phone calls and refused to cure their diseases, yet still expected their kids to love them would be a monster. But imagine how much worse he would be if, let's say one of his kids who is sick and is absolutely done with being ignored and neglected decides to stop loving their dad, so once the human father realizes, he appears to them just before they die from whatever disease they have that he is refusing to cure and stuffs them into a furnace.

Oh and despite the fact that the Christian god is just like this, quite a few Christians are still determined to love him and worship him no matter what. Hell, they are willing to make up stupid excuses for him for being a monster, mainly because it's the only way to prevent themselves from doubting. Congratulations on becoming free from Christianity like the rest of us.

Welcome Vern. Christians don't want to see it, they don't need it to be logical. From my experience of them they are a pack if scared little rabbits who will manufacture anything they can to alleviate their fear and find some comfort from the harsh realities of life.

• Like 2

Welcome Vern! 

This is exactly what drove me away from belief and the Church. The idea that there is a god of love simply does not coincide with Christianity and it's beliefs. 

I'm sorry to be so crass but WTF?! Do Christians really, truly believe this stuff or do they post this to show how faithful they are? Why does God always win? I put it to my wife this way;

Both. They post it because showing your faith strengthens your faith and your standing with others, and to actually consider that it's not real and that there really is no such thing as gods to help you when you're in dire straights...is really more than most people can bear. The ones that can, come here. 

Welcome to our forums! 

I am still very sad for you for being raised in that NIGHTMARE!!! Fundy Calvinsim. <SHUDDER>

Your story is the #1 reason people cannot believe. They like to make these huge philosophies about it all, but if you cannot explain suffering to a ten year old girl with a brain tumour who is crying her eyes out.......forget the theology . It won't help. 

Thanks all - I think I'm going to like it around here... happydance.gif

• Super Moderator

An excellent rant that is right on target!  Welcome to Ex-C, Vern.

I am so sorry to hear about that. It must be incredibly difficult for you to listen to people prattle on about gods goodness without exploding in their face. You can probably understand that for those who believe it does bring them comfort as their brain blocks out the questions and anger about WTF god was doing here. You may not be able to talk to anyone in real life about this but feel free to have another rant if you need to. It is a terribly tragic situation.

Vern: Just in case you didn't know this bit of history, John Calvin was responsible for a man being

burned at the stake for writing intelligent oppositions to Calvin's writings. Calvin was in effect a

killer.

There are a number of books written on Calvin which describe this incident in more detail than I care to remember. I thought you might want to know this, if you didn't already. Welcome! bill

Guest r3alchild

Thanks all - I think I'm going to like it around here... happydance.gif

You will love it here, because the people here are real. They are not going to care about you because of jesus, they will care about you because they choose to not because there told to.

Vern, thank you so much for that post. Actually, as I read it, something really clicked for me about the connection between God the Sadist, and the fear that powers us and keeps us tied to Christianity. I had started exploring the ideas that you laid out, how everything that qualifies our "relationship" with Jeeeezus/Gawd is exactly the same way we would categorize an abusive or emotionally unhealthy relationship with another person. But what your post really underscored for me was the idea that God has ALL THE POWER in the relationship, and can and will escalate things and even eventually kill you. If you dare to even question what He has done to you, He can do more. And THAT. IS. NOT. LOVE. There is no comfort in God or Jesus or the bible. Even Jesus himself cried out in abandonment, "My God, why hast thou forsaken me" and was not comforted! And yet we are STILL supposed to believe that is evidence of "God's love"? Torturing someone else for us? 

Because if He will do it to his own son, what the fuck won't He do to us? It's like punching your innocent infant child in the face repeatedly until it hurts worse than anything it ever experienced, in order that you might then comfort them for the pain you caused. 

I was paralyzed and could not even get close to thinking critically about this shit because of fear of what God would do to "test" me because He "loves" me. But it's not love. It's not being chosen for a special purpose. If there is a God in control of all of this, He is inhumane. It is far more comforting to believe this shit is just a roll of the cosmic dice, not some experience designated for you out of a twisted and perverted "love." 

Welcome, Vern!

Oooo, that GAWD - there he goes being all mysterious again!  It's all part of His great plan!  Now your cousin will have a unique opportunity to witness to other widows and help them understand God's all-powerful love!

These people are brainwashed. I don't know why they can't see what is obvious to the rest of us - that this God that they describe is a horrible being who does not deserve to be worshipped.  We are all so fortunate that this monster does not actually exist.

Vern, thank you so much for that post...

Thanks for reading and responding. I think you're going down an interesting path that obviously as a believer you never could have. Keep thinking!! :)

Stop reading my posts and telling my parents. This site is supposed to be confidential. You're a jerk and a jack ass whoever you are. Thanks also for hurting my folks. Good Christian actions. NOT.

Stop reading my posts and telling my parents. This site is supposed to be confidential. You're a jerk and a jack ass whoever you are. Thanks also for hurting my folks. Good Christian actions. NOT.

Why the hell don't WOMEN start a religion where THEY can be boss?!?! zDuivel7.gif

The women that are already the boss don't need a religion. They are their own goddesses. Of course, for anyone who was honoring and serving those women, it would be a religion for those who are honoring and serving them.

Vern, thank you so much for that post...

Thanks for reading and responding. I think you're going down an interesting path that obviously as a believer you never could have. Keep thinking!! smile.png

Oh, but Vern, us intellectuals are sooooo snobby and can't possibly experience the passion of God's love! Why do we have to THINK all the time? It's actually very simple if you'd just trust in God!

Yeah, um... no. 

I am new here so forgive me for being so bold to start a new thread already but I have to get this off my chest today...

I am originally from a fundy Calvinist church. All of my family still goes there. I have a cousin who married a guy and promptly settled down and did the Calvinst thing by having 6 kids in short order. He was a teacher in the local private, Calvinist school and they attended church twice each Sunday and prayed to God 3-10 times per day. 

God responded.

By giving him brain cancer last year at the ripe old age of 37. Oh - and yesterday God killed him for good, leaving his widow with 6 kids and all alone to figure this life out.

How did his family respond? Here's a quote from Facebook today:

I am safe in the arms of the Father

I'm safe in the arms of the Father

I'm resting in Your embrace

I know Your love will never fail

And another;

I lift my hands to believe again

You are my refuge, You are my strength

As I pour out my heart

These things, I remember

You are faithful, God, forever

I'm sorry to be so crass but WTF?! Do Christians really, truly believe this stuff or do they post this to show how faithful they are? Why does God always win? I put it to my wife this way;

Imagine that my daughter is told that she has a father (me) but she never actually meets me. I have millions of dollars and access to the best medicine - including cures for cancer. Her whole life she's taught that I love her and that I want nothing more than to have a perfect, loving relationship with her. She never ever actually meets me but she has my email address and emails me many times per day. She also phones me and leaves me many, many messages on my answering machine. 

I never ONCE reply to her.

Over the years she works hard and earns a degree. She thanks me for "helping her" earn it. She thanks me for watching over her. She ask me for forgiveness because sometimes she doubts my love. She begs me to show myself to her. She gets married and thanks me at her wedding for "being there". She gets healthy children and again thanks me for "all my help". 

She gets brain cancer and begs me to cure her. She leaves my hundreds and hundreds of emails and phone calls, crying and pleading with me to please, please, please come to her assistance. I have the cure. I can cure her. I have the money and the medicine. Her family and friends email and call me too. They all beg me to save her "for the sake of her family". They promise me many things in return for this one, small favor.

I never ONCE reply to any of them.

My daughter dies. She dies in the middle of yet another phone call to me, pleading for my help. She dies in agony with her whole family standing around her hospital bed.

I do absolutely NOTHING.

I have to ask - does this make me a father whose "love will never fail" or who is "faithful forever"?! Again - WTF?! If I behaved like the father I just described who completely ignores his suffering child would I not be a complete psychopath?

Anyone who praised and thanked me for my love and assistance needs some serious counciling services to sort out their appalling cognitive dissonance. This is what makes me scared of Christianity and religion in general. This is what makes me convinced it's more harmful than not. Anything that can make people so subverted and so dependant on a tyrant ruler God who does absolutely nothing for them needs to be brought into the light of reason and awareness no matter what the cost.

This is what makes me an anti-theist rather than just an atheist.

Sorry for the rant. I had to say it and don't have peeps that'll understand like you folks!

The deceased is in a "better place" ... but God put the family in a worse place because of that. Why should he be praised?

Sorry to hear about the loss of a loved one. I lost my mother to cancer. It sucks.

Welcome, Vern!

Oooo, that GAWD - there he goes being all mysterious again!  It's all part of His great plan!  Now your cousin will have a unique opportunity to witness to other widows and help them understand God's all-powerful love!

These people are brainwashed. I don't know why they can't see what is obvious to the rest of us - that this God that they describe is a horrible being who does not deserve to be worshipped.  We are all so fortunate that this monster does not actually exist.

The "great plan" concept bugs me more and more. haha. A great plan is something that is shared with involved parties. A plan not shared might as well be called random chance. :-)

• Like 1

It's the same kind of thing with god's covenant with the Jews. A "covenant" requires at least two people. When there is only one person in a covenant it's not a covenant, it's an edict. In the case of god's

"covenant" with the Jews, I don't recall a vote by the Jews to approve. The State of Florida did't have a covenant with Ted Bundy for his execution. Nor did god have a covenant with the Jews. If anything,it was a promise by god, and a broken one at that. bill