Embrace Your Evil Nature

Denyoz

Did you embrace your evil nature today?  Did you kiss it and tell it that you loved it?  If you feel that you have neglected your evil nature lately, go to it right now and give it a big hug.  It's important.  smile.png

This is something that Christianity will not allow you to do.  It's one of the first thing you are confronted with after you ditch Christianity.  You come face to face with your evil nature, and don't know what to do.  Kick it in the face?  Embrace it?  Ignore it?

It follows you everywhere and awaits a response.  It begs for attention.  What do you do?  How do you treat your evil nature?  Don't tell me that you don't have one!  No bullshit allowed on MY thread, baby!

What happens when you embrace your evil nature?  What happens if you don't?  Share your experience.  Here is mine:

I've decided to embrace my evil nature to see what would happen.  First thing I did is I went out and bought a gun.  Just kidding!  Embracing your evil nature is not about action, it's about reflexion.  It's a spiritual exercise.  Don't tell me that you don't have a spirit.  No bullshit allowed on MY thread, baby!  This is why I'm posting this in the Spirituality Forum.

I noticed that one of the major benefits of embracing my evil nature was this:  It makes me a lot less judgmental.  There was a talk recently on this board on how UN-judgmental ex-christians are compared to Christians.  Why is that, I wondered?  Simple.  We embrace our evil nature!

Christians are trying to be unjudgmental without accepting their evil nature.  It's impossible!  They are caught in this vicious cycle and are trying to get out of it.  I remember when I was a Christian how frustrating this was.  I knew how judgmental I was and I prayed God to fix me, but it never happened.

It's finally happening now, and all I had to do was get out of Christianity and embrace my evil nature!

Thank you Darkness for showing me the Light.

Guest Babylonian Dream

I don't have an evil nature. I have a "sinful" nature, its called being "human". Because being what God created you to be is a sin.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

We only have a human nature. The label "evil" is merely what we assign to things we don't like or happen to disagree with; it varies from human to human.

Guest r3alchild

Now christianity is going going, gone I want to explore my dark nature but not to accept it or embrace it but to discover what it is in me that draws me to such darkness. I don't want to be afraid of it but understand what its there for.

Sometimes you have to go down before you can go up.

I second Florduh. It depends on what you consider evil, as I mentioned in the "Is there Evil?" thread in the Lion's Den, what is good and evil is relative between individuals and society. I really don't think that pride, sex, and vice in moderation is an unhealthy thing. Just as long as you don't let it run your life, and you keep rubbing a few brain cells together.

Now as for doubt and curiosity, I don't see how these can ever be considered evil unless you don't want people to think for themselves. One of the biggest problems I have with Christianity is considering doubt to be a bad thing. Doubt and curiosity, if these things are evil than I for one fully embrace it. I refuse to be a blind followerzDuivel7.gif.

• Like 1

Hmm, I'm curious as to what your evil nature is.  I try to embrace my personality and thoughts completely.  I own my selfishness, greed, lust, jealousy, insecurity.  I'm just a human boy.  I don't claim, or try to be perfect, or to live up to any ideal other than my own.  I want to be the ideal me. 

So what some may call an evil nature, I just call it natural.  Everybody has faults!  And it's ok!  It's natural to judge, to some extent.  What some define as sins or evils are usually just personality quirks.  And people should just own who they are, instead of being afraid that they aren't living up to what other people expect them to be.

Of course this is just my opinion :).

• Like 1

I subscribe to the idea that we all have a 'shadow' or dark side.. of course we do. Christianity teaches us to deny this part of ourselves..(or project it outwards onto others or some ethereal demon) and then it comes out sideways, twisted and wrapped in self-deception and delusion and ego defenses. You can't repress it... or suppress it. It has to be brought out into the light.

So I do 'embrace' my dark side.. I acknowledge it... and own it... and then it loses it's power and I am free to choose.

• Like 5

We all have impulses and emotions and thoughts that are.. well, less than we would like them to be. Sometimes these things are selfish, vindictive and violent. If we DENY that these are a part of us we give them power... but when we own them then we are in control - because they aren't disguised.

There is not one human that can't say they haven't been angry, or full of ego, had vengeful fantasies or is never tempted to do something that would be personally beneficial but would be unethical. If you can't acknowledge these things about yourself they go into stealth mode...

Passive/aggressiveness is a good example of the dark coming out because someone doesn't own and take responsibility for their darker emotions and motives.

Does that help?

• Like 2

I see.  On the side, I hate passive aggressive behavior. 

But still.  I think those feelings (that you described) are natural, and not necessarilly dark or evil.  But at least now I know what you are talking about!

Thank you!

I don't have a dark side to my nature. I'm one of these fucking weird people who just naturally prefers the light over the darkness.

I don't think that anger is a bad thing, I think it is a normal response to poor treatment. The things that are dark to me are greed, selfishness, overblown ego, boastful self-interest and love of money over love of people. I fucking hate those things. Perhaps that is my darkside bwahahahaha.

I think My evil nature is the custodian of My chocolate addiction.

• Like 2

I wholeheartedly embrace my 'evil' nature and it actually makes me a saner and more compassionate person because I am not so judgmental of myself and others anymore. Being a deeply feeling person I experience every moment of life richly and intensely, which can be amazing but it also can be utter torment. It is all life and I am learning to accept it which is bringing me more peace. Even if I tried I couldn't willfully hurt another person unless it was necessary for my or a loved ones survival, and even then I would do the bare minimum necessary. Part of facing the evil nature in me is facing my own emotional darkness. This is where I need to be careful because I can drown in the dark memories and powerful emotions. There is a fine line between embracing and accepting AND becoming obsessed and immersed so all other emotions and experiences are blocked out. For me this place is the most frightening.

Along with being a deep feeler I have an acutely tuned conscience so I doubt I would run amuck any time soon. Still, I enjoy the freedom of being able to be true to all of myself, not just the 'good' bits, which is why I now swear or occasionally take drugs or get drunk and feel no shame or guilt about it. Accepting my whole self enables me to make spiritual progress I could not have made as a christian.   I am still unsure what I believe (outside that there are NO personal, interventionist gods) but I am open and do enjoy meditation and feeling connected the the universe in a profound way.

• Like 3

Did you embrace your evil nature today?  Did you kiss it and tell it that you loved it?  If you feel that you have neglected your evil nature lately, go to it right now and give it a big hug.  It's important.  smile.png

This is something that Christianity will not allow you to do.  It's one of the first thing you are confronted with after you ditch Christianity.  You come face to face with your evil nature, and don't know what to do.  Kick it in the face?  Embrace it?  Ignore it?

It follows you everywhere and awaits a response.  It begs for attention.  What do you do?  How do you treat your evil nature?  Don't tell me that you don't have one!  No bullshit allowed on MY thread, baby!

What happens when you embrace your evil nature?  What happens if you don't?  Share your experience.  Here is mine:

I've decided to embrace my evil nature to see what would happen.  First thing I did is I went out and bought a gun.  Just kidding!  Embracing your evil nature is not about action, it's about reflexion.  It's a spiritual exercise.  Don't tell me that you don't have a spirit.  No bullshit allowed on MY thread, baby!  This is why I'm posting this in the Spirituality Forum.

I noticed that one of the major benefits of embracing my evil nature was this:  It makes me a lot less judgmental.  There was a talk recently on this board on how UN-judgmental ex-christians are compared to Christians.  Why is that, I wondered?  Simple.  We embrace our evil nature!

Christians are trying to be unjudgmental without accepting their evil nature.  It's impossible!  They are caught in this vicious cycle and are trying to get out of it.  I remember when I was a Christian how frustrating this was.  I knew how judgmental I was and I prayed God to fix me, but it never happened.

It's finally happening now, and all I had to do was get out of Christianity and embrace my evil nature!

Thank you Darkness for showing me the Light.

Religion totally screws up good and evil.

Emotions (or evil) like hatred, selfishness are perfectly fine.

Would you sacrifice yourself to save a country of people? I would not (unless it involved my wife or child)!

Why? Because like my cat. My selfishness serves to protect myself and my offspring.

Do you hate paying tax? I sure do! Much more comfortable to hate then to grief about it.

And look at the bright side, we have a emotion called guilt as well which helps things not going out of control.

The only reason people get out of control is because they have some bullshit delusion that lets them justify it to be good.

Why do we help people? Because we are good? NO! Because we are selfish and it makes use feel better about ourself's.

The 10 commandments should be more of a list of stuff to do instead of a list of stuff not to do.

1. Thou shalt have more gods and even make up new gods

2. Thou shalt make unto thee graven image and be creative

3. Thou shalt take the name of the lord god in vain god dammit

4. Forget the sabbath day, but use it to get a day off from work

5. Don't honor thy father and they mother unless they deserve it

6. Thou shalt kill when someone breaks into your house and threatens your loved ones (shot guns are preferred)

7. Thou shalt commit adultery if thou wants to (try a open relationship or swinger clubs)

8. Thou shalt steal back from those that steal from thou

9. Thou shalt bear false witness against thy neighbor if his dog pooped in thou garden

10. Thou shalt covet to motivate thou self

• Like 2

... we have a emotion called guilt as well which helps things not going out of control.

You got it baby!

It's not because you give yourself the permission to take that you lose your ability to give.

It's not because you give yourself the permission to lie that you lose your ability to tell the truth.

It's not because you give yourself the permission to hate that you lose your ability to love.

In fact, the measure of love you have inside is the same as the measure of hate.  It's like a swinging pendulum.  When you pull it one way, and let go, it swings the other way.

So, imagine a sincere Christian pastor who tries to be good all the time, but who denies his evil nature.  What happens when he let's go of it for a moment?  Yup...

But I don't want to lie or be selfish or hate.

I understand.  But you don't have to DO anything yet.  Think of it as an intellectual exercise.  Imagine if you were given the permission, from the highest source (the law, your higher-self, God).  Imagine if lying, stealing, hating (even killing), became legal!  There will be no judgment at the end.  Only direct consequences of your actions.  What would you do?  How would you deal with people who hurt you?  Can you even imagine yourself doing anything illegal?  Or is there a voice inside telling you that you are not allowed to think about this?

I don't want to do stupid shit. Even if those things were legal I still wouldn't want to do them. Can you not conceive of people who don't like that stuff?

No voice, just years of watching people's selfishness and lying cause pain.

Guest r3alchild

... we have a emotion called guilt as well which helps things not going out of control.

You got it baby!

It's not because you give yourself the permission to take that you lose your ability to give.

It's not because you give yourself the permission to lie that you lose your ability to tell the truth.

It's not because you give yourself the permission to hate that you lose your ability to love.

In fact, the measure of love you have inside is the same as the measure of hate. It's like a swinging pendulum. When you pull it one way, and let go, it swings the other way.

So, imagine a sincere Christian pastor who tries to be good all the time, but who denies his evil nature. What happens when he let's go of it for a moment? Yup...

Thats brilliant, I had those thoughts a long time ago but I couldnt articulate them. Either your a mini me or I am a mini you.
  • Like 1

The point is not in doing it... it's giving yourself permission to be, yourself. It's giving yourself permission to own that WE ALL feel hatred, feel angry enough to do violence, feel tempted to lie.. feel selfish and wants things for ourselves... feel lust.. feel pride.. all of us are connected with our ego's in some ways that society, and especially christianity tell us we OUGHT not to feel. It invalidates our very humanity... and being human means we aren't all light and good and fuckin' fluff bunnies... we are ALL hypocrites on some level. I do not buy that anyone... anyone lives up to even their own moral or ethical standards 100%. It's not possible - because we are human. All we can do is do the best we can with what we have at the moment... embracing the dark side means we are aware of it and take ownership of it, and therefore it can't motivate us subconsciously.

anyone who says they never feel these things or never struggles with any negative crap inside themselves.. is a liar.. and that is kind of ironic.

Now obviously the scale is different for each person... what I might consider really nasty and dark in myself, someone else might think is silly.

My biggest struggle is with pride.. and I will admit it. I like to think that somehow I am morally or sometimes intellectually superior...because I'm a fairly smart cookie and I'm not inclined to act in ways that harm others, or even break the law... but I'm not either - not even close - I'm more of a coward and a dilettante and ridiculously self-protective at times, and it manifests in me as judgementalism. I have to watch that pretty closely 'cause it ain't pretty. I expose myself to people I admire to counteract that tendency and remind me that I'm not 'all that and a bag of chips'. Being here helps because there are those here who are ten times smarter than I am, and ten times more compassionate and probably ethical too.

What it comes down to, for me, is a rejection of shame... I have no use for it. Guilt has a purpose - it tells us that what we have done is against our inner code... shame however tells us WHO WE ARE is bad, wrong, etc...  and well, fuck that.

That's one little touch on my experience with this subject.

• Like 2

I don't want to do stupid shit. Even if those things were legal I still wouldn't want to do them. Can you not conceive of people who don't like that stuff?

No voice, just years of watching people's selfishness and lying cause pain.

Again, you don't have to do anything, this is an intellectual exercise.

Yes, I can conceive of people who don't like that stuff.  We are born not liking this stuff.  I'm surrounded by people who don't like this stuff.  I live in a society that severely punishes people who do this stuff.  I'm harrassed by a church who condemns people who even think about doing this stuff.

But I was created by a Universe that is giving me this stuff.  It exists, whether I like it or not, whether I want it or not.  So what do I do with it?

Great post, Ravenstar.  You are better than I am at explaining this stuff.  You say "owning it" and "taking ownership of it".  This is what I mean by embracing it.  This is the key, and this is where we might lose Galien.  How can we embrace something we hate?  How can we learn to accept it, and even "love" it.  How can we love hate?  Jesus said:  "Love your enemies".  Maybe this is what he meant.  But he said it wrong.  You cannot love your enemy until you have learned to love your own evil nature.  The enemy is YOU!

Galien, you wrote it in your signature:  There is no "Them", there is only "Us"

Why do we help people? Because we are good? NO! Because we are selfish and it makes use feel better about ourself's.

This right here, goes with my theory.  I believe everybody is selfish, and all actions are driven by selfishness.  Helping others makes you feel good, therefor it IS a selfish action to help others.  It's nice to see somebody else agree with me, just a little :).

• Like 1

The point is not in doing it... it's giving yourself permission to be, yourself. It's giving yourself permission to own that WE ALL feel hatred, feel angry enough to do violence, feel tempted to lie.. feel selfish and wants things for ourselves... feel lust.. feel pride.. all of us are connected with our ego's in some ways that society, and especially christianity tell us we OUGHT not to feel. It invalidates our very humanity... and being human means we aren't all light and good and fuckin' fluff bunnies... we are ALL hypocrites on some level. I do not buy that anyone... anyone lives up to even their own moral or ethical standards 100%. It's not possible - because we are human. All we can do is do the best we can with what we have at the moment... embracing the dark side means we are aware of it and take ownership of it, and therefore it can't motivate us subconsciously.

anyone who says they never feel these things or never struggles with any negative crap inside themselves.. is a liar.. and that is kind of ironic.

Now obviously the scale is different for each person... what I might consider really nasty and dark in myself, someone else might think is silly.

My biggest struggle is with pride.. and I will admit it. I like to think that somehow I am morally or sometimes intellectually superior...because I'm a fairly smart cookie and I'm not inclined to act in ways that harm others, or even break the law... but I'm not either - not even close - I'm more of a coward and a dilettante and ridiculously self-protective at times, and it manifests in me as judgementalism. I have to watch that pretty closely 'cause it ain't pretty. I expose myself to people I admire to counteract that tendency and remind me that I'm not 'all that and a bag of chips'. Being here helps because there are those here who are ten times smarter than I am, and ten times more compassionate and probably ethical too.

What it comes down to, for me, is a rejection of shame... I have no use for it. Guilt has a purpose - it tells us that what we have done is against our inner code... shame however tells us WHO WE ARE is bad, wrong, etc...  and well, fuck that.

That's one little touch on my experience with this subject.

Ravenstar I do like this post.

My old motto was (as quoted under my profile picture on my social network at the time) "Never do anything that you will be ashamed of".  I still try to think that way.  For me, the most shameful thing is hurting another person, especially emotionally, directly or indirectly, especially when unprovoked (or without good reason).  That's what I try to stay away from.

But, like you said, I think acknowledging your entire persona, including your own faults is very important.  And like Denyoz said, I think it's great to imagine the world as IF there were no laws.  It makes you think of why it's not ok to rape, steal, hurt, murder, assault, or deceive others.  It isn't JUST because it is against the law, or JUST because others will judge you for it.  Empathy and sympathy play a huge role in our decision making.  As well as foresight and intelligence.  The golden rule really is an amazing moral compass.  And the golden rule isn't a law or decree.  All it is...is exercising empathy and sympathy.   

As far as more "negative" thoughts and emotions.  Stealing, lying, anger, selfishness.  First of all, I don't think selfishness is a bad thing..I think we are all selfish, and calling selfishness a bad thing is just saying EVERYBODY is bad.  Anger is a natural emotinal response, it's OK to be angry.  What isn't OK is taking that anger and using it to HURT others...stopping yourself from doing that (or even wanting to do that) again is practicing empathy and sympathy (and compassion).  Lying or deceiving is a natural response that intelligent beings do in order to protect themselves from harm.  Animals deceive all the time...many animals have deceit built INTO their DNA (butterflies with faces on their wings, chamaeleons, etc.  Stealing isn't the worst thing in the world...I mean it's bad, but IMO it's nothing to hate somebody over.  Greed is understandable...jealousy...lust. 

I'm kind of rambling, but I'm just really trying to say.. It's OK to have these feelings or thoughts.  There is no use in trying to hide yourself..from yourself.  Understanding yourself is very important.  And of course controlling yourself, if you realize your impulses will get you in trouble.

• Like 1