Goodbye Jesus

Prof. Higgs: Stop Calling Higgs Boson The ‘God Particle’

hereticzero

• Super Moderator

Brilliant man, but he doesn't understand marketing.

Guest Babylonian Dream

His job isn't marketing. It's being a smart scientist. To be honest though, "the God Particle" nickname bugged me too. It's so stupid.

• Like 2

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

star_big.png
POPULAR

One ecstatic scientist was heard to say "We knew we had the right particle because, despite its very tiny size, it was extremely angry, and it kept demanding we utterly destroy the Amalekites."

mwc
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This still makes me chuckle!  GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Way to go, mwc!
  • Like 4

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

star_big.png

POPULAR

One ecstatic scientist was heard to say "We knew we had the right particle because, despite its very tiny size, it was extremely angry, and it kept demanding we utterly destroy the Amalekites."

mwc

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This still makes me chuckle!  GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Way to go, mwc!

OK, so that comment had me guffawing like a hyena in my office and drawing odd looks from my co-workers, so I had to go back and find the post and upvote it.

Oh yeah, I've known about this for quite some time.  A long time ago I used to think it was called the God particle because it was somehow central to the Standard Model.  It is, but that's not why it bears the name.

Whatever.  In the biz, we don't call it the God Particle anyway.  I actually use this term used very infrequently, most often when I'm watching Angels and Demons.