Goodbye Jesus

Religion + Science = Twin Brothers?

raoul

Once more they try to equate religion to science. And, once more, we demolish their silly fallacy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZHhd2EcaN4&list=UUUKpV1m_1VZc4JjbxhGwl0A&index=1

Guest r3alchild

When I was a christian I thought religion and science was compatible. But now I can see that any compatibility is just coincidence.

I used to make the same arguments that I'm now criticizing when I was in their cult. I'm embarrassed to think I actually believed all of the twisted 'facts' they concocted to push their myths down everyone else's throat. Once, during a debate I was going at it with someone I thought was a very brilliant high school student enamored with science. I was retorting with crap from a fundy booklet while he was hitting me with scientific fact after fact, ie: No universal flood, no young earth, etc. I began running out of bs to hit him with so I began trying to concoct crap out of thin air. Later on I found out that he was actually a freaking BIOLOGY teacher who'd had his Masters and was working towards a PHD! I think he let me off easy. LOL

When I was a christian I thought religion and science was compatible. But now I can see that any compatibility is just coincidence.

• Like 1

I'm embarrassed to admit I graduated tertiary science with honours (biochemistry) while believing in fundy nonsense such as a young earth and the like. No amount of facts and evidence can pierce through the strong layer of delusion built up in someone who truly wants to believe the lie.

Some of the positives I take from my past fundy delusion are that I'm now equipped to debate anyone who uses typical creationist arguments, plus I have a much stronger BS detector in general.

Well Beast, your second statement regarding your ability to debate them totally negates the first one where you say you were embarrassed. Look at it this way, at least you found the truth. Besides, ALL of us are probably embarrassed about things we may have said and did during our mythical walk in fundy land. I mean, I could tell you some things about myself which would make you exclaim something like "what a total ahole he was (or may still is. LOL). So don't be so hard on yourself okay?

I'm embarrassed to admit I graduated tertiary science with honours (biochemistry) while believing in fundy nonsense such as a young earth and the like. No amount of facts and evidence can pierce through the strong layer of delusion built up in someone who truly wants to believe the lie.

Some of the positives I take from my past fundy delusion are that I'm now equipped to debate anyone who uses typical creationist arguments, plus I have a much stronger BS detector in general.

I'm embarrassed to admit I graduated tertiary science with honours (biochemistry) while believing in fundy nonsense such as a young earth and the like.

Don't feel too bad, friend.  I was a full two years into my doctoral work in astrophysics before I left the cult of evangelical Christianity.

As to the earlier points, it might be a bit strong of a statement to say that science is incompatible with all religions.  There are religions, after all, that don't require one to believe in patently false scientific models (Judaism, for example, teaches that one should embrace science, which is humorous since the Christian creation myth comes from this religion).  I would say, however, that evangelical Chistianity and science are indeed incompatible.

My tirades are only directed towards the christian sociopathic cult and especially in this country. Evangelicals fit nicely in this category. I'm not familiar enough with other religions and I really don't have the time to explore them. This cult we have gives me MORE than enough to work with.

I'm embarrassed to admit I graduated tertiary science with honours (biochemistry) while believing in fundy nonsense such as a young earth and the like.

Don't feel too bad, friend.  I was a full two years into my doctoral work in astrophysics before I left the cult of evangelical Christianity.

As to the earlier points, it might be a bit strong of a statement to say that science is incompatible with all religions.  There are religions, after all, that don't require one to believe in patently false scientific models (Judaism, for example, teaches that one should embrace science, which is humorous since the Christian creation myth comes from this religion).  I would say, however, that evangelical Chistianity and science are indeed incompatible.

Well Beast, your second statement regarding your ability to debate them totally negates the first one where you say you were embarrassed. Look at it this way, at least you found the truth. Besides, ALL of us are probably embarrassed about things we may have said and did during our mythical walk in fundy land. I mean, I could tell you some things about myself which would make you exclaim something like "what a total ahole he was (or may still is. LOL). So don't be so hard on yourself okay?

Cheers. I alienated a few friends along the way by being a fundy ahole too. It goes with the territory. I think it's natural to feel a bit embarrassed when you get duped by some pretty obvious BS, but we aren't born with the answers to lifes problems. Sometimes, we have to learn the hard way. To me, the most important thing is that I'm moving in the right direction, becoming smarter and wiser as time goes by. Christianity has taught me a number of lessons I don't think I'll forget any time soon.