Goodbye Jesus

What Atheists Can Learn From The Gay Rights Movement

DrNo

Read this article.

The gist of it is that one of the things that made the gay rights movement successful was the fact that they highly encouraged each other to come out of the closet so that more and more people would have to come to grips with the fact that someone they knew and cared about was, in fact, homosexual. This led to a shifting of public attitudes.

It's not a perfect parallel. Homosexuality is a biologically-driven state of being. Atheism is more like a worldview, or a conclusion that is reached. But what do you think about the basic idea that more atheists should "come out of the closet" in order to serve the greater good of fostering respect for atheists? Will it help?

• Like 1

Dawkins has been advocating the "out of the closet" idea for a while now, and I think its a good one. A lot of people don't understand what atheism is or what atheists believe in, so realizing they know one can help things. Of course it no guarantee of becoming enlightened though.

• Super Moderator

I've been saying it for years. To little avail, I might add. Honesty and self respect often take a back seat to avoidance of conflict. I say bravo to the gays and anyone who stands up for their own rights and equality.

I don't think atheism is a choice. I am beginning to think that the capacity for faith is biologically driven.

I liked this quote: "An evidence-based case can be made for why many religious people are less accepting of atheists than gays. Most aren’t worried about homosexuals “converting” heterosexuals, but they worry about hearing sound arguments from atheists that might resonate with their flock."

...great point!

Thanks for posting the link, DrNo!

• Like 1

All the minorities have been fighting for centuries for their rights. I always 'fit in' the world because I knew if I didn't I would be in trouble. Now I am amongst the trouble-makers of the world and proud of it!! Thanks also for posting the link, DrNo. I love reading these articles. I am coming out of the closet more and more everyday. I don't go around shouting from the roof tops, but if anyone askd me questions now, I am completely honest. What a nice feeling. I am proud of who I am today. No wonder gay people feel good to just be themselves!!

There is an 'out of the closet' movement in the atheist community..hmm.. now where is the link?

http://outcampaign.org/

I posted it back a couple of months ago. Like Margee I don't shout from the rooftops but I'm honest about my lack of belief, my 'non-christianity', and my support of reason and knowledge. Weirdly, people seem to be confused that I'm really nothing. I get the feeling they would be more accepting if I had traded my 'ex' status for another faith.

I am going to get an atheist t-shirt though.. you know the big 'A' one. For days when I feel more combatative  ;)  ... of course I'll probably get the same reaction I did when I wore a pentagram: Confused look, and then this question, "Are you Jewish?"  I shit you not!  LOL

*sigh*

I'm sure someone will mistake the A for the anarchy symbol... life is fun!

There is an 'out of the closet' movement in the atheist community..hmm.. now where is the link?

http://outcampaign.org/

I posted it back a couple of months ago. Like Margee I don't shout from the rooftops but I'm honest about my lack of belief, my 'non-christianity', and my support of reason and knowledge. Weirdly, people seem to be confused that I'm really nothing. I get the feeling they would be more accepting if I had traded my 'ex' status for another faith.

I am going to get an atheist t-shirt though.. you know the big 'A' one. For days when I feel more combatative  wink.png  ... of course I'll probably get the same reaction I did when I wore a pentagram: Confused look, and then this question, "Are you Jewish?"  I shit you not!  LOL

*sigh*

I'm sure someone will mistake the A for the anarchy symbol... life is fun!

Raven.......I'm gonna get me a new tight tee-shirt with this on the back of  it!! yellow.gif

!B9jgcIQEGk~$(KGrHqIOKj!EzJreTcCpBM6K6y)

Awesome, thanks for the link Ravenstar!

I don't lie about being an agnostic, but I don't broadcast it. I am concerned about the backlash from

Xtianity as they see more and more atheist going public. But can they be any worse than they are now?

I believe the religious right movement was and is a backlash from the liberal 60's. It brought THEM

(religious right) out of the closet. bill

I don't think atheism is a choice. I am beginning to think that the capacity for faith is biologically driven.

I once saw atheism described as an "involuntary conclusion." That was definitely the case for me.

• Like 2