Goodbye Jesus

School is making me stupid

Dianka

You know, around this time last year I was reading at the rate of one book a week. In addition to that, I read 2 daily papers and suscribed to 5 magazines. I could carry on a conversation without spacing on what the hell we were talking about. From abstract thoughts. Complex sentences.

Yes, school. It sounded like a fine idea.

I am taking a healthy 15 credits this semester, and I am just hardly touching A's in my classes. Every last percentage point counts. So I bury my face in the books and the work books and the lab manuals. I literally feel a subtle burning sensation in my brain.

My dumbing down started very slowly at the beginning of this year, but my philosophy class saved my IQ.

I promised Dostoyevsky when this semester started that I would not forget that two of his books are in my house unread. I haven't, but I was unable to spell his name without googling it and picking the link that most resembled the spelling.

My vocabulary has atrophied. Grammer, spelling. All gone.

I worked on a paper today and I swear, I could not write the word absence.

Abcence

Absense

Abcense

Anyone else feel duller for all the effort?

Of course I blame this on the institution of higher education. Shit and shinola are looking like the same damn thing these days.

Ok, back to homework........

Anyone else feel duller for all the effort?

I know that despite the fact that proper and precocious grammar, diction and vocabulary were rewarded with the highest possible praise ( "nicely done") by my father as I was growing up, and despite the fact that i've spent several hours a day reading for most of my life and have an honest love of language, I have found that I am going to dictionary.com more and more to confirm the spelling of a simple word that i've written or typed no fewer than 10, 000 times in my life, or merely sighing and erasing a message board post after a couple of frustrated tries to congeal my thoughts. Of course, I smoke pot daily.

I've noticed that my own ability to spell and

write formal letters and such has diminished

quite a bit since I became an information

addict.

Then there's punctuation.

I never was very good at that. :shrug:

Dumber? I dont' think so.

Just overloaded, methinks.

Who knows?

Perhaps on some subconcious level, allowing oneself

to be exposed to the spelling/grammar/whatever on

boards such as this, has an affect on ones inner-brain

workings when it comes to writing for yourself?

You know, I never thought of that before. I have noticed

this problem in myself just within the past couple of years.

I've been around here for almost two. :Hmm:

:Doh:

I know that despite the fact that proper and precocious grammar, diction and vocabulary were rewarded with the highest possible praise ( "nicely done") by my father as I was growing up, and despite the fact that i've spent several hours a day reading for most of my life and have an honest love of language, I have found that I am going to dictionary.com more and more to confirm the spelling of a simple word that i've written or typed no less than 10, 000 times in my life, or merely sighing and erasing a message board post after a couple of frustrated tries to congeal my thoughts.

Halleluja!!! I am not alone. :notworthy:

Of course, I smoke pot daily.

:mellow:

Makes me wish I had that excuse.

I've noticed that my own ability to spell and

write formal letters and such has diminished

quite a bit since I became an information

addict.

Then there's punctuation.

I never was very good at that.

Dumber? I dont' think so.

Just overloaded, methinks.

Oh god the amount of garbage we have to ingest. Willy. It all melts into one word.

samesamesamesamesamesamesamesamesamesamesamesamesamesamesamesamesamesamesame

(looking at my warm bed)

:coffee:

time for the liquid crack

Applying my thinky:

Acutally you are right on this one. It is fairly easy for our writing to go to hell, thanks to the internet.

Me never talk pretty again???

Willy.
Who you callin' Willy?

Me never talk pretty again???
I can't answer this. Who knows? Perhaps taking a well-needed break from everything and focusing on regaining what was lost will help out. :shrug:

Instant messaging is the most pernicious little dart in the dumb demon's quiver. I speak to several friends throughout the day via yahoo messenger, and the way we spell - good Christ if my Dad saw it he'd burn me in effigy. Everything is spelled phonetically in every possible way and some impossible ways and the only reason we can make any sense of it is the fact the we all devolved into this together, very slowly. And even then sometimes we have to buck up and waste the 8 seconds it takes to rephrase, we're just so lazy and proud of it, and damned fucking creative about it sometimes. For some damned reason, raping the language in IMs is entertaining and satisfying, I suppose, in a way that only the child of a language nazi could fully appreciate.

Who you callin' Willy?

God.

I can't answer this. Who knows? Perhaps taking a well-needed break from everything and focusing on regaining what was lost will help out.

I have not stepped into the arena or the coluseum in about 2 months. My mind.....(ouch)

8 more days of school....

Instant messaging is the most pernicious little dart in the dumb demon's quiver. I speak to several friends throughout the day via yahoo messenger, and the way we spell - good Christ if my Dad saw it he'd burn me in effigy. Everything is spelled phonetically in every possible way and some impossible ways and the only reason we can make any sense of it is the fact the we all devolved into this together, very slowly. And even then sometimes we have to buck up and waste the 8 seconds it takes to rephrase, we're just so lazy and proud of it, and damned fucking creative about it sometimes. For some damned reason, raping the language in IMs is entertaining and satisfying, I suppose, in a way that only the child of a language nazi could fully appreciate.

I cud nevr be that cavalir about the gyft o big werds.

I take afternoon naps almost daily because when I was a kid my mom would be all over me with her "Diena, do you have sleepeng problem?" (added euro accent)

Without Babelfish, I gather that your mother is Polish? More specifically from Warsaw? I go look it up now.

Shit, no polish on Babelfish. Damn you biliguals.

Without Babelfish, I gather that your mother is Polish? More specifically from Warsaw? I go look it up now.

The spelling is mangled it won't help. Don't worry, you are right. But my mama and my tato are from there.

to nie jest moja vina.....

that's not my fault

tato

The guys who sing "Africa" and "Rosanna". I love those gize. I din't know they was Polska.

to nie yest moia vina.....

Будет полно вашим недостатком.

:vent::vent::vent:

Let me guess, Russian?

tato

The guys who sing "Africa" and "Rosanna". I love those gize. I din't know they was Polska.

to nie yest moia vina.....

Doesn't translate well into English though.

I met a girl who spoke mainly Russian but was nice enough to learn enough English so we could communicate. She gave me her email addy and met again. I found a translator online and figured I'd email her in Russian after we met a 2nd time. I told her that it was totally awesome meeting her and her friend. She didn't email much after that.

I got the idea to translate BACK the email that I sent her.

She thought her and her friend scared the shit out of me, no?

It said it was "totally frightening meeting her and her friend"

Then I created another email in Russian but I translated it to Russian, then BACK to English, changed some words around and tried again. Took a long while, but my emails came back through the translator a whole lot better tweaking some words around.

I also re-told her about my discovery and that she and her friend were great to be with, not frightening. LOL

In the translator I use, your Russian above comes back as: It will be full your lack.

There are, though :)

Matka mojego ojca był od Polski. Ojciec mojego ojca był od Rosji. One spotykali w Stanach Zjednoczonych i posuwał do Nowego Jorku.

Do you mean effect? ;)

But yeah, reading too many posts by people who can't spell tends to seep into your brain after a while. I've found myself checking the spelling of words in Microsoft Word before I type it, and it's something I've typed countless times before.

I can totally relate, Surlymermaid... school does the same thing to me too. And the internet makes me procastinate. ;)

I almost alway have good english so no worries.

I almost alway have good english so no worries.

:funny:

I am joking.

But look on the bright side, you'll really really slow down brain rot, when you get older.

EEEEKKKK!!!! But I want to be "pleasantly confused" (clinical instuctor's words).

Hopefully my drug use during the teenage years will be on my side. Although genes don't help (fuckin Euro family). They seem to hold on to their neurons, and live til their 95.

Matka mojego ojca był od Polski. Ojciec mojego ojca był od Rosji. One spotykali w Stanach Zjednoczonych i posuwał do Nowego Jorku.

Damn, how do you get the jotas in your L's?? Yeah I stopped going to Polish classes in third grade - that's why I write like an 8 year old.